Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3500 159wb extended
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the curious contraption we made to figure out the angles and measurements for the upper cabinets. This will make the lower part of the cabinet Parallel to the floor and the front of the cabinet perpendicular to the floor. It also gives the measurements of the front of the cabinet and the bottom of the cabinet to come up with square and aligned upper cabinets.

·
Registered
Used low mile 2018 159
30 Posts
Like love and money, you can't have enough clamps. All sizes, styles and designs.
If Imelda Marcos can collect shoes, we can collect clamps, rulers and square of all types.

The contraption shown is powerful and costs very little. The "contraption" coupled with imagination makes cabinetry placement accurate.
Spring clamps are simple and inexpensive helpers. I use them a lot. The drywall T square is fine away from the wall but a second one with short T leg cut off will allow you to get close to the van wall.

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
Funny, just a framing sq was I used or needed🤔

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
855 Posts
I used 3 to see how "round" the van is between the slider and back doors to set the depth of that side's upper cabinet .
These van look square but they're round .
And i used string and nuts . Ha , ha .

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
Geometric proof required for full credit.
Distance from floor plywood to bottom of rib is 74.75" at the center and 73.6" at the edges. The edges are 30" from the center. See below diagram. This is not a rigorous proof.

Arc xy = arc yz, therefore by secant angle theorem, angle A = angle C

Angle A = arctan(1.15/30) = 2.195 degrees
Angle B = 90-A-C = 90-2A = 85.61 degrees
radius r = 30/cos(B) = 392
392 inches = 32.7 ft

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,451 Posts
These van look square but they're round .
And that's for our PMs. I pity the poor Sprinter owners; their vans are like eggs by comparison.

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts
LOLs - - you guys are great !

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,969 Posts
Aaron, I accept your calculations. Mine was the best I could do on the den floor. It is subtle enough that an edge cut to that arc looks like the board is warped.

Now please verify (or not) that the walls have the same.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
Aaron, I accept your calculations. Mine was the best I could do on the den floor. It is subtle enough that an edge cut to that arc looks like the board is warped.

Now please verify (or not) that the walls have the same.
But I have to get back to work!
I have the walls modeled in AutoCAD as vertical up to the waist-height ribs, then a straight line at an angle of about 6.4 degrees up to the roof. I probably just measured the width somewhere near the roof and approximated it as a straight line in my CAD.
I just drew an arc tangent to the lower part and intersecting the upper, AutoCAD shows a ~16 ft radius.
But I think it's fairly straight until the upper horizontal rib, and then curves in more at the top. All my polyiso panels on the walls went on pretty flat, while the roof required several break points to get them glued on tight.

My cross section is pretty crude:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts