Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my first projects was the cup holders described at the beginning of my build thread. They have functioned well for two years, but it was time to improve.

First, the drop-dead gorgeous curly maple was just wrong. When I added the Baltic Birch ply in the rear, I knew this was what the cup holder shelf needed to be. Second, I wanted to attach the shelf to the curved front of the console for added strength. The first edition was sturdy enough, but there was a bit of wobble because there was no solid attachment. As it turned out, this attachment allowed me to eliminate the dowel supports.

While the improvement was in progress, we took an overnighter with just the original cup holders. Oh, my, what a hassle! I have renewed appreciation for this upgrade, so much so that I decided to make instructions and templates available to all who want to copy it. A jigsaw, a drill, and a belt sander are the only power tools necessary. Drill press and band saw make it easier. This truly is a novice project.

Please respond to this thread to let me know your successes and failures, and to ask any questions you might have.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the plan. I'll add that to my file for when I actually get started on my PM build.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm sure if searched I can find one but can you include a picture of the finished product here?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Full use of original cup holders plus new cup holders more easily reached by us with short arms. We cannot use the original cup holders without seriously diverting our attention from the road--you know those accidents where the driver says, "I dropped something and was trying to reach it…" So without the shelf, I have to hand MrNomer his drink, then put it back for him, each time he takes a sip.

MrNomer mounts a gps in the left spot. When I drive, I mount my iphone there and use Maps. Also, with the extra cup holders, we can, for example, pour part of a canned drink into a cup of ice and have a safe place below for the partially empty can.

A bit of serendipity: a couple of maps fit between the cups and the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts