Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a CTA Swivels R Us swivel recently, and I'm disappointed at how difficult it is to turn. I pretty much have to grab on the steering wheel to get enough leverage to swivel it.

I read on the forum that there was an adjustment you could make, so I took a stab at loosening the bolts on the perimeter of the plastic bearing it pivots on. Didn't help that much. I'm afraid to loosen too much. I also considered some dry lubricant on the swivel. Has anyone tried this? Any other advice on things to try? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I sprayed mine with silicone lube and it did help. I was the one who suggested the perimeter bolts could be loosened but never got around to doing it. Mine must swivel better than yours as as when I do a body twist (stem christie) it goes around fairly well.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I don’t see the harm in loosening until just before there is some wobble. The bolts will still hold in an accident. I probably better go out with my wrench today.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad to read these posts. Mine too are stiff. Can’t swivel without getting out of the seat and using both hands to yank it around. I tried dry lube, now I will loosen the bolts to see if that helps. I would not buy another of these for the driver’s seat at this point.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Well- let me say if you bought a Sportscraft for it you would not be happy! That swivel requires a bunch of adjusting to get it around as it hits everything. Be patient and loosen the bolts and chill a bit. I really like mine even though it turns a bit hard but I had a Sportscraft there and HATED that for the driver's side. It now resides on the passenger side (yes I know it was not intended for that side) where it works great for that seat!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried some dry lube after loosening and it helped. I wasn't careful after working it in and turned it by hand at the base and jammed a finger in the works. After a swearing session, I'm a bit happier with it now.

I may loosen it a bit more. Seemed like the lube helped the most, but it took a while of turning it around and spraying into all four corners of the plastic bearing and working it in by spinning it back and forth.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well- let me say if you bought a Sportscraft for it you would not be happy! That swivel requires a bunch of adjusting to get it around as it hits everything. Be patient and loosen the bolts and chill a bit. I really like mine even though it turns a bit hard but I had a Sportscraft there and HATED that for the driver's side. It now resides on the passenger side (yes I know it was not intended for that side) where it works great for that seat!
Maybe a Sportscraft Passenger swivel will do better on the drivers side?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
Lever could clash with emergency brake, but otherwise an interesting notion.

Turning the passenger Sportscraft got noticeably easier when we started turning it clockwise.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lever could clash with emergency brake, but otherwise an interesting notion.
After dealing with the emergency brake while putting in the swivels and lifting the floor for sound deadening, I found myself questioning its design and relevance on a gas-powered PM.

Don't get me wrong... on manual transmission cars I use the emergency brake all the time, but I had to break myself of that habit when parking the SO's automatic-equipped vehicles. Seems most people who drive strictly automatics don't use the emergency brake at all. Dealing with an emergency brake is foreign territory. Then again, I live in Florida where freeway overpasses are the highest part of town.

It seems the routing of the cable underneath was done to maximize interference with just about anything you'd want to do. I guess they had to deal with the bench seat option and both left and right-hand drive. Looking at it, it might not be too difficult to relocate it somewhere, but the question is where?

·
Registered
86 Posts
After dealing with the emergency brake while putting in the swivels and lifting the floor for sound deadening, I found myself questioning its design and relevance on a gas-powered PM.

Don't get me wrong... on manual transmission cars I use the emergency brake all the time, but I had to break myself of that habit when parking the SO's automatic-equipped vehicles. Seems most people who drive strictly automatics don't use the emergency brake at all. Dealing with an emergency brake is foreign territory. Then again, I live in Florida where freeway overpasses are the highest part of town.

It seems the routing of the cable underneath was done to maximize interference with just about anything you'd want to do. I guess they had to deal with the bench seat option and both left and right-hand drive. Looking at it, it might not be too difficult to relocate it somewhere, but the question is where?
I don't know if it's the same system for the Promaster, but a lot of European manufacturers such as Audi, use the emergency/parking/hand brake to adjust the rear brakes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then again looking at my driver's side unit on the passenger's side, a simpler (and safer) solution might be to modify the swivel handle on the seat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you have any pic of the passenger seat turned around with this drivers side swivel? Thx

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have any pic of the passenger seat turned around with this drivers side swivel? Thx
Don't have a picture to hand at the moment.

These videos may give you an idea of what these are like. I don't think either of these are lowered or swapped, however.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Video 2 - Quick FYI

If you disconnect the negative terminal, don't leave the connector laying on the negative terminal of the battery! Better to tie it away from the battery or wrap something around it so it can't touch the terminal.
Yep, I put mine in a plastic bag.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I don’t but could get some in the morning. It works well, slide the seat forward and it clears everything including the door once swiveled. It is right over to the door. Nice center access!

·
Registered
31 Posts
with the drivers side swivel installed on passenger side is the room when the seat is facing to the back to have the seat aimed off center toward the middle or would the seat have to be facing directly backwards

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
RD, I was hoping to see your CTA swivel this winter, but not gonna happen. When your driver's seat is facing directly rearward, how close is the seat cushion to the door? I'm suspecting that combo that works so well for you wouldn't work as well for me--you have the dinette there and I have the cabinet that the seat needs to face inboard of.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I don’t but could get some in the morning. It works well, slide the seat forward and it clears everything including the door once swiveled. It is right over to the door. Nice center access!
MsNomer we are having the most wonderful winter I’ve ever seen. Sorry you are not here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts