Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this problem?

3500 RV Cab / chassis V6 GAS 8,500 miles

When cruise control is activated warning lights turn on for:
Cruise control
Throttle control
DEF level ?? (interesting considering a gas engine)
Battery
Exterior light / lamp failure

Also noticed Promaster did not prefer to shift / stay in 6th gear while in drive, but could Shift in manual mode.

Fuel MPG display frozen @ 13.6mpg
So far that is all the items I was able to observe

When cruise control is turned off all warning lights clear as normal, but
Seems sluggish shifting into 6th gear / OD

RAM dealer is stumped, tells me that RAM tech support is cumbersome and slow process as dealer techs can only work with Promaster support experts via email, no phone support... so looks not to quick a fix

rfeng

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem. Bad grounds have been an issue and could cause alternate paths through the lights or the sensors when the cruise circuit is on and provides a path. If it has always been like this it could be a miswire. Not easy to track without a an accurate overall wiring diagram.
I don't know about the transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer and tech support have run out of things to fix this problem, and now wants to change the instrument cluster, and tells me that my vehicle has to sit once part is ordered, replacement cluster needs to be programmed with my exact miles and other option info.. warned me it could be 30days or so to get the replacement cluster. Is 30days for this typical for cluster order and setup?
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I'd tell him I was driving it for the month and when the parts come in he has two days to do the work. In the meantime don't use cruise. If it is a matter of the mileage agree on what it will have when he gets the replacement and drive it until that mileage is used up. Seems simple to me, as it isn't my van, sorry!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the odometer setting is legal certification item. But service manager says mileage is stored in 3 modules , dash cluster, pcm, and another "black box" type event device and all have to match exactly or it will keep generating errors and warning indicators
Seems like a poor design on the electrical side of this PM, many quirks from the start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Federal law says the odometer info MUST be stored in multiple locations. In this fashion, PM is identical to every modern car.
Definitely sounds like a bad cluster though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this failure recently. Going in today to replace the cluster. BTW, you CAN drive the vehicle till the new cluster is installed. It is programmed at the time of installation. If this replacement goes badly, I'll be back...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going in today to have the cluster replace for this failure. The vehicle CAN be driven till the replacement cluster is installed... More to come if this doesn't go well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had the same issue. In my case, I let the low fuel light come on for the first time. Good news didn't run out! However after refueling and back on the road the cruise worked fine but the battery, low fuel and cruise lights/icons all appeared.

I have a gas motor, with high output alt. Checked to see if it was charging and is!

Very Reluctant!! to let someone take my dash apart!!!

Would like to hear your out come. Not doing anything until someone comes up with a better solution.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I hope all you folks have done a half hour negative side disconnect of the battery and even pressed the brakes a few times to be sure all the residual stored electricity is gone (capacitors?), out, dead Zilch. Then reconnect and see what happens. Sort of like a control-alt-delete on your computer. I know it can’t be this simple but I have been fooled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any update on the cluster replacement? I just picked up a used diesel and have the same issue when turning on the cruise control switch, also feels like it's jumping to sixth gear early on light acceleration and causing a hesitation when shifting, may be normal or an entirely different issue

·
Registered
795 Posts
Might be unrelated .... I was looking under the dash and I see a circuit board growing fuzz ??? The van sat around the corner for almost a year pointed slightly downward . I've noticed a small water leak at the rear door. Previous owner had bedliner shot in there and I think the liner people messed with the gaskets (and broke a bolt on the lower stricker and crazy glued the head back on). Condensation may be playing havoc with the unprotected circuit boards.
???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2014 Gas ProMaster with 50,000 miles, When I use cruise control I get 2 warning lights, the throttle cable light and a red engine light with a wave underneath. I couldn't find this light in my manual, but maybe it's the def light you speak of. No codes are stored when I scan for codes, and transmission seems to shift fine. Sometimes I get a red gear icon as well. Also lights continue to glow when I shut off engine and remove key. Haven't been to a dealer yet, I am 3000 miles from home, and don't have time to stop for a couple days. problem goes away most of the time when I don't use cruise control, but not always. When I bought the van it had marker lights that leaked for a month at the dealer. I suspect the circuit board might have water damage. I guess I could remove the battery for 30min, but I don't have the code for the stereo and don't want to get locked out of it. Anyone have experience with this, or further updates? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I have 2015 promaster gas chassis on 2016 coachman orion rv. Had the same problems mentioned above. Went to dodge dealer and they checked everything and couldnt find the problem. They mentioned something about a clock spring but inevitably looks like theyll conclude instrument cluster replacement. Going to just leave it for now as im vacationing. Mechanic notes: no dtcs, good battery, good alternator, no flashes, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts