Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - For those considering purchase of a cross nut tool, mine lasted for 21 threaded bulbed cross nuts. I purchased it from Jay-Cee, C-1000 CROSSNUT / RIVET NUT TOOL WITH 10-24 SET UP. $60. Upon inquiry, was told it is an expendable tool and that they are not sure what the average life is.

There is a fragile pin that snapped, that is very small and keeps the unit from spinning. I expected more than 21 inserts. I would consider another tool. I may be able to alter the tool to salvage, not sure yet.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
Sherb,

A cross nut looks a lot like a RivNut and appears to do the same thing.

At Harbor Freight, they sell a tool for about $20 (with a coupon!) that comes with the tool plus 10 of a few different sizes of rivnuts (crossnuts?) Yes, it does 10-24. It's like a set of pliers and is easy to use... probably mounted at least 100 rivnuts with mine before it got loose and they (HF) replaced it with a new one! Not sure if the threaded rod is long enough for a long crossnut.

https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Most people seem to get the Astro tool one from Amazon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Astro Tool is for rivnuts. The mandrell on the Astro rivnut tool isn't long enough for many plus nuts. They are different, if you look closely. I, too, just broke my plus nut/cross nut tool from Jaycee, which lasted a whopping 10 plus nuts. POS, badly designed, exactly as the OP mentioned. I will say the plus/cross nuts work well. I've installed and uninstalled cabinets and other things multiple times and and haven't had a single one spin out on me.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Well, the Plus Nuts definitely have some good points - use existing holes, etc but the cost of them plus the cost and durability of the insertion tool seem to make Rive Nuts a safer choice.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you're only going to do a few rivnuts the nut-bolt-washer fiasco is ok . Get the tool and you'll be putting rivnuts everywhere .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts