Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many have installed CRL windows so I'm hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me. I am ready to install a universal flat surface window in my sliding door. It is 24" X 15-1/2" and it is a slider. My questions are:

1. They do not furnish any gasket to go between the window and the outer skin on the van and they say it is not needed. I assume the weep holes are supposed to handle and water coming in between the van skin and the window. However, I don't like the idea of metal to metal as any movement at all will scratch the paint. What, if anything, have you used between the van and the window?

2. They predrill the screw holes in the trim ring but do not predrill the window to accept those screws. What size bit did you use to drill the holes that the trim ring screws go into? They do not tell you what size the screws are, they are not self-starting screws.

I have installed three Arctic Tern windows in the past, one in this build, and they offer a library for everything you need to know. So this is not my first attempt at a window install but I am really disappointed with CRL. I bought this CRL window through DK Hardware and they don't know much, if anything, about these windows so I am asking the people who probably know the most, you.

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you have photos?

The CRL window I put in my slider;

1) My CRL window came with a gasket material attached to the window around the window ring (that gasket material was pinched between the window and outer face of the van skin).

2) came with screws that I did not predrill - I just used a bit and screwed them thru the holes in the predrilled trim ring

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
65 Posts
I installed 3 different windows in my van, none are the same one but for your reference: 1 CRL awning and 1 CRL bunk style window in the back. These both had pre-attached gasket on the window. The trim rings were drilled out but the window frame was not. The screws are sharp enough to pierce and penetrate the window frame's thin metal.

The OTHER window I installed was a round port hole. This did NOT have any gasket material around the outside edge of the window. CRL instructions said to apply adhesive backed gasket stripping and then install. Note, that the directions were clear that this gasket was required.

So... I'd follow what CRL says, lots of happy customers on here and i'm not sure why they would recommend a bad install technique.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is this the same window (or similar in a different size?):

Look at the instructions on there... it lists the seal as required.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information folks. The reason I asked was I contacted DK Hardware where I purchased the window to get this information and they told me, after calling CRL, that I should use Part 60701. Since it was almost $50 and 7 times what I needed I called CRL direct where I was told the window comes with everything I need, no gasket needed. Now, I read above that Van Windows Direct tells us we need part 60701. You can see where I would be confused. But, I guess I will spend the $50 and hope to find some use for the left over 33 feet of material.

The screws may be a bit of a problem as a couple of the holes do not line up with the grooves between the ribs on the window. Too bad the inside ring can't be made to fit properly.

The Van Windows Direct web site has more information than CRL and DK Hardware combined with regard to seal and screws. Making a template and cutting a hole are no brainers.

mjm6, yes my window is the next size down.

Thanks again all.

Reactions: mjm6

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A note;

I had to trim 1/4” off the “clamp ring” to get it to fit tight around the window mounting ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts