Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the largest sunroof you can install in the 118" PM in the existing sunroof location metal template behind the seats?
C.R. Laurence Co 15x30

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.24.14 PM.png

·
Registered
723 Posts
Proeddie has one he'd like to say goodby too . Go to classified , parts and check out his post .

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I already bought it and it has been sitting in its box in the foyer waiting for me to give it some love ;)

To the OP, Yes, I believe any larger and it will interfere with the vans ribbed roof.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I finally got around to installing the sunroof that Eddie sold me. Midway through the installation, I developed a massive migraine. I kept pressing on as daylight was getting short. Nonetheless, it turned out absolutely perfect. My wife spent the next hour massaging my head after I took two Tylenol and two Excedrin.

Anywhoo, Thanks Ed!! This brings in some light and air to the otherwise dark space.

IMG_2357 by, on Flickr

IMG_2356 by , on Flickr

IMG_2355 by , on Flickr

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Read Only
309 Posts
It was mostly flat. If it was contoured, it wasn't much to affect installation or bend the roof out of whack.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A few days was plenty.
You guys really need to start pumping out more projects and posting pics.
I need stuff to look at while I'm sitting around, complaining about weather and not working on my van.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have this sunroof installed in my van. Its really nice but the tinted glass gets really hot in the summer and can heat up the inside of the van. Maybe I should put that white vinyl @phil turned us onto
on it?

Im not sure if everyone knows this but its made so that the glass is easily removable. The glass pops off the hinges using a nice system and in about 30 seconds I can easily remove the whole glass panel. Pretty neat if you want to drive down the road with the windows open or want access to the roof from the inside of the van... I intend to make a screen for the inside so i can leave the glass out in the summer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have one of those CRL's, too. My overhead "decor" is a sheet held up with magnets, much prettier than the insulation! I have a flap of the sheet which I can extend over the sunroof, it mitigates a little of the heat. With 1" polyiso on the overhead and sides, the cab windows open and the sunroof open and shaded with the sheet, I've not had the interior temp go above ambient in 80F conditions. And yes, that's the right size for the flat spot on the PM. Also, while the roof is slightly contured and the sunroof frame is flat, there are so many screws sandwiching the inner and outer frames together that they bend to conform to the roof contour. The thick seal for the glass panel (also flat) mitigates leaks. I've had mine for over a year and it has both stood and been driven in pouring rain without a drop coming through. Water can pool in a corner of the glass panel but its less than an ounce. I have a bit of clean rag stuffed in the panel handle to catch any drips. I keep the glass and seal clean, it is easy to pop the whole glass panel out to clean. Oh yeah, after installation give the exterior, especially the roof, a good scrub. I was amazed by the number of tiny flecks of rust that appeared even after what I thought was a sufficient hosing down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Webasto used to make a pop up /sliding sunroof .I had one ,it never leaked .You had about 10 "to 12 " inches of completely open area the width of the sunroof

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got around to installing the sunroof that Eddie sold me. Midway through the installation, I developed a massive migraine. I kept pressing on as daylight was getting short. Nonetheless, it turned out absolutely perfect. My wife spent the next hour massaging my head after I took two Tylenol and two Excedrin.

Anywhoo, Thanks Ed!! This brings in some light and air to the otherwise dark space.

IMG_2357 by, on Flickr

IMG_2356 by , on Flickr

IMG_2355 by , on Flickr

IMG_2357 by, on Flickr

IMG_2356 by , on Flickr

IMG_2355 by , on Flickr
looks great... I‘m waiting for mine to arrive. Does it come with instructions and did you have add sealant and if so what brand? Would a jigsaw be the best tool to cut the hole. Thanks !

·
Read Only
309 Posts
No sealant needed, came with instructions and template. It comes with butyl sealant and its tricky to install so take your time so you don't get it stuck into a bad position. The jigsaw worked best since I cut it from the topside. (Put a drop cloth on the inside as the metal filings get everywhere.) The template might make your cut a little small, but you can keep slightly trimming once you set the frame on the opening to see how much. I put wide blue tape around the cutout before putting the paper template on to trace out the hole and protect the paint from scratching with the jigsaw. (My jigsaw already has a nice plastic bottom but you never know ;))

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No sealant needed, came with instructions and template. It comes with butyl sealant and its tricky to install so take your time so you don't get it stuck into a bad position. The jigsaw worked best since I cut it from the topside. (Put a drop cloth on the inside as the metal filings get everywhere.) The template might make your cut a little small, but you can keep slightly trimming once you set the frame on the opening to see how much. I put wide blue tape around the cutout before putting the paper template on to trace out the hole and protect the paint from scratching with the jigsaw. (My jigsaw already has a nice plastic bottom but you never know ;))
Thank you, I appreciate your reply

1 - 15 of 15 Posts