Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I got my CRL window that goes behind the driver with the dual vent from van windows direct. Have 2020 promaster. Followed their directions to cut along the stamping. Put window in and started to put trim ring on and it's way off. The trim ring doesn't have much metal on the sides to grab to and the corners are way off.
Anyone else install these and run into this? Did they send me the wring window? Seems to fit on the outside to the promaster.
Pic attached.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ugh! That looks like trouble.

What did you find out from the vendor? I just got my windows and the van and am about to begin the conversion on various parts very soon...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your observation is correct that the factory stamp does not match the CRL windows. When installing mine I saved myself this issue by double checking with a template first. It was obvious that the CRL directions were not quite accurate...

Now that you're in this situation - it looks like you do at least have complete coverage of the hole by the window? You may need a belt and suspenders approach now - continue with the clamp ring, but also use a complete bead of window adhesive around the perimeter.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I’m not sure what you did there.

On my build thread I show photos of my CRL install process;

My 1st suggestion is to contact CRL & ask them for a fix

My 2nd suggestion is way more involved, but would involve installing a sheet metal ring on the interior (or exterior) & possibly sealant.

I’m going to assume you are not the 1st & won’t be the last who followed the PM cutout not the CRL product. I think CRL will have experience rectifying these situations.

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I did on the slider fit perfectly. it's the one behind the driver that's the problem. The opening based on the stamping compared to the widest part of the clamp ring is only 1/4 difference on the sides which only leaves 1/8" per side which isn't enough. The instructions and videos I followed are the ones from vanwindowsdirect.com and they have photos and everything on where to cut and talk about how there is no need for a template because CRL makes these to conform to the factory cutout. Being it seems everyone raves about VWD, their instructions, and their customer service I didn't think twice about it. I even bought the tool they recommend to do the cutout from the inside so you can just follow the stamping. Such a buzz kill. We'll see what VWD has to say. Their initial response was that CRL does allow for some tolerance but being off by at least 1/2" seems a bit much.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The one I did on the slider fit perfectly. it's the one behind the driver that's the problem. The opening based on the stamping compared to the widest part of the clamp ring is only 1/4 difference on the sides which only leaves 1/8" per side which isn't enough. The instructions and videos I followed are the ones from vanwindowsdirect.com and they have photos and everything on where to cut and talk about how there is no need for a template because CRL makes these to conform to the factory cutout. Being it seems everyone raves about VWD, their instructions, and their customer service I didn't think twice about it. I even bought the tool they recommend to do the cutout from the inside so you can just follow the stamping. Such a buzz kill. We'll see what VWD has to say. Their initial response was that CRL does allow for some tolerance but being off by at least 1/2" seems a bit much.
Typically the “clamp rings” are too big (mine was & I had to cut a 1/4” or more @ the joint to get the ends to close).

I made a 2 part cardboard template of the actual glass & factory mounted ring - not the clamp ring.

My CRL window had no template, no video, & no instructions (that I can remember).

Vanwindowsdirect; should be more careful on their directions to their customers.

I purchased my CRL thru a local autoglass shop. They would sell me it & told me I was on my own to install it. I cut it from the outside of the van with my wife spotting the jigsaw blade on the inside. I made the cut tight & filed a couple of spots in order to fit the window. It fit like a glove.

I would try to get a solution from vanwindowsdirect or CRL direct.

Another “bandaid” fix I can think of would be a carbon fiber/epoxy application to the inside (temp holding to window in place), performing the carbon fiber work, then attaching the trim ring after that has all cured. But that sounds like a PITA

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Maybe the window is off?

Maybe an accurate measurement of your cut opening & a new window will save the day?

There are 2 Locations that need to be met;

1) existing opening you created
2) alignment of the outer 4 edges of the glass; that is why my self-made cardboard template is 2 pieces (cut hole & outer edge of glass).

If you get a replacement window to your cut opening, they will need this referenced. Now that the hole exists I would quite simply cut a piece of cardbord the exact size of the glass & hold it in place on the outside, while another traces the cut hole from inside the van. If you give them that template, then maybe they can supply you with a new window to suit your cut hole.

I rave about CRL windows for the PM, however I never heard of VWD until your post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice everyone. They are looking into it and waiting to hear back. Not only does VWD say no need for a template but so does CRL on their site. Hoping this is my saving grace should I need a custom window: From CRL:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They say it fits the 2020 as well but I wonder if Ram changed something. I'd be surprised I'm the first to find this though

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
FYI

Another piece of advise about “all” factory or distributor provided “templates”

“Trust”, but “Always Verify” before you cut.

It took less than 20mins to cut my window opening - IIRC it took almost 2hrs to make my template & attach it to the outside of the van and verify the cut out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
thanks for the advice everyone. They are looking into it and waiting to hear back. Not only does VWD say no need for a template but so does CRL on their site. Hoping this is my saving grace should I need a custom window: From CRL:

View attachment 67957
Looks like they owe you a new “possibility” custom sized window. 👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI

Another piece of advise about “all” factory or distributor provided “templates”

“Trust”, but “Always Verify” before you cut.

It took less than 20mins to cut my window opening - IIRC it took almost 2hrs to make my template & attach it to the outside of the van and verify the cut out.
I saw a post from a year ago or so discussing this problem with the CRL windows not matching the internal frame so I had planned to make a template to be certain...

Would you care to describe what thoughts/considerations you used when you made the template? As I see it, the big details are
1. the size/shape of the clamp frame, and
2. the positioning of that hole relative to the edges of the window glass (so that it is positioned properly on the outside of the van in the "pocket" of the metal side).

Is there anything else to think about?

·
Registered
34 Posts
They say it fits the 2020 as well but I wonder if Ram changed something. I'd be surprised I'm the first to find this though
At the worst, you could probably return the CRL window and install a RAM factory window (or similar) that is designed to glue on the outside, so not all is lost here, just that you may not be able to install the CRL window without major surgery.

It's a major bummer, but it won't necessitate body work and a new paint job to get a window in there, but it may not be exactly the one you originally intended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also saw the difference when I did my 2016. Made a template first for both sides. Saw that the driver's side window was smaller than the factory opening. I was glad that I checked first. Slider does use close to the factory lines. I used a nibbler that gives a slight offset from the factory braces.

I have done both vented windows on a 2016 and fixed slider windows on a 2016 and a 2018. The slider windows are not a problem.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I saw a post from a year ago or so discussing this problem with the CRL windows not matching the internal frame so I had planned to make a template to be certain...

Would you care to describe what thoughts/considerations you used when you made the template? As I see it, the big details are
1. the size/shape of the clamp frame, and
2. the positioning of that hole relative to the edges of the window glass (so that it is positioned properly on the outside of the van in the "pocket" of the metal side).

Is there anything else to think about?
Those are the big issues that are related to each other & the PM for location “hence the dual template”

Clamp Frame

Outer Edges of the window to line up with the targets on the PM exterior

Any interferences to install the clamp ring to the PM

Will the unit sit flush & seal?

Clean the exterior paint of the cut opening with 99.9% alcohol (this is paramount to get a water tight seal)

Cut the opening to a very tight tolerance & file out any imperfections to get straight lines or so the clamp frame can be inserted

Scotchbrite “3M Red Pad”the edges of the new hole (paint the bare metal if desired - I did not & took the chance).

That is all I can think about off the top of my head. I used 4 small holes with 5” offsets to locate the inside “factory opening” & transfer that opening to the outside. Once I knew CRL window fitting “within” the factory opening I set the templates on the outside to ensure exterior edge of glass locations & marked the new opening to cut & then cut if while my wife watched the inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts