Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my 3500 extended diesel Promaster a few days ago and picking it up in a few weeks.

Going to start the buildout by installing the solar, wiring, insulation, lights, bed, floor and walls pretty quickly and then over the rest of the winter/spring do the cabinets, couch, kitchen, heating, water, etc.

Bikes/gear will go in the garage area. Haven't figured out the exact storage system, but something to do with plastic bins. Probably space for 2 bikes and then have a sliding place for bins next to them. The "wardrobe" next to the couch will be open and I'll use plastic bins for storage/organization. Otherwise, I'll have storage above the couch and above the kitchen. The cabinet under the kitchen will house the kettle/hot plate, etc. Should have enough room above the fridge to also install a drawer.

The couch will more than likely be the LaCrosse sofa bed (http://shop4seats.com/sprinter-seat...printer-sofas/lacrosse-sprinter-sofa-bed.html). Looks like I can get a custom width, and a good enough height to put batteries and wiring underneath. Also, at 29" deep, there should be plenty of floor space.

I will have enough solar/batteries (installed under couch) to run the fridge, electric kettle, hot plate and lights. Since it's diesel, I can install an Espar heater and skip propane entirely.

The 20 gallon water tank/pump will be on top of the rear passenger wheel well with the grey tank installed underneath. No plan for a water heater at this point, but I'm thinking about plumbing in a shower head like so: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...5008/the+urban+crash+final+7.JPG?format=1500w
I'll have an emergency toilet as well. 2.5 gallons should do nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41541-...77503719&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+toilet&th=1 Probably make the bottom section of the wardrobe have a door and put this behind it.

Here are the views of the sketchup. What do you guys think? Any comments or otherwise changes that I should make?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
We put a dinette in the place you have your couch and use it lots and think it makes for a great place to use the computer, pay bills, read, sit and watch the rain, oh and to eat too. It occupies very little space as the table is against the drivers backrest. The driver’s seat swivels to make the second seat and is very comfortable.
I think in an extended 159” I would find a place for a compartmented bath with shower. Perhaps do the dinette, slide the storage unit forward and put in a 24X27 shower pan and potte and drain the shower into a bucket on the ground. you should have lots of room as my 136 HT is 4 feet shorter! I have thought about a water heater like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twist-Handl...337527?hash=item3d248eb5f7:g:xG4AAOSwNSxVU5lH To do that I’d want 300 watts of solar and 200 amp-hr battery set or so. Good idea to avoid propane.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Dammit...... Now I'm getting a case of long wheelbase envy! ;-)

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the open area at the slider. A small folding table will work with ur sofa for dining, etc.and u can use it outside also. I have a similar wardrobe with or without bins; like it. Overheads could be doorless with bins also. I would add overhead cabinets/shelves over bed; even small shallow ones to have stuff handy without getting out of bed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opinions so far.

I was thinking that at least for "Phase 1" I would electric kettle it if I needed warm water, although that electric water heater is essentially a bigger, more "ready" version of that. Wish they had one with less wattage. I only need "warm" water rather than "piping hot" for something like a quick rinse.

I don't like cartridge showers at all personally. I had a Lance 1575 16' camper with shower and never used it. Always ended up going to a RV park or campground or whatever for a shower. Figured I'd get an outdoor portable shower for the back to clean off dirt and wash bikes and such. We'll see how well that works.

Do you have a pic of your dinette? That sounds like a pretty awesome idea. I did add a removable table to the latest floorplan. Had plans for it, but forgot to add it to sketch up before

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also added the bed cabinet. Figured a 10x10x56 will give me plenty of storage for clothes/etc and not get in the way of feet. Now if it was as easy to actually make these as it is in sketchup :)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,978 Posts
Boil some water in your cooking kettle, add cold to taste.

Guard the open space at the slider. Stuff will try to creep into it--shoo it out. That clear space is one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in the whole build.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thoughts exactly on the warm water.

And I hear you about that space. I might pull 4" out of the kitchen cabinet to not get any overlap over the door. A 40" cabinet/countertop seemed like a nice round number, but probably 4" of floor/open space would be better than 4" of under the counter storage. I could always build some sort of folding extra countertop thing too.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
252 Posts
There is a thread dedicated specifically to floorplans which may give you some additional ideas: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53962

One of my lessons learned: don't plan away 100% of your space... keep a few inches in reserve, or better yet, retain a design element that you can scale down (or up) without ruining the overall plan.

For me, this was my closet. My original plans included a 12-14" wide closet space just aft of the bathroom... as the build progressed, I realized that Ram had placed the framing and various support points in places that were less than ideal for my original design. As a result, I had to install my folding seat a few inches further back than planned which moved my bath, which shrank my closet... the plus side, a vertical storage spot for my table/bed panel magically appeared immediately behind the driver's seat... not part of my original plan but I like the option to open up the floor plan more than I miss those 2-3" of closet space.

A personal preference: I like having open horizontal work surfaces. During the later part of my build, my kitchenette counter became "tool central" which drastically reduced the number of trips back & forth to the workshop... it has also been great for food prep, gear organizing, clothes folding etc when camping.

Good luck... you're in for an awesome journey!
Phranc

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
What would anyone need over 4’ of sliding door opening for? Mine has 2’ opening and makes for an excellent entry. Even the drivers door dosen't open 4” That real estate can be used everyday if you build into it but may only be wanted once or twice a year if left unused. I have the whole door width above the galley open to put in something wide. Plus we can stand at the galley cooking or cleaning up and have the world to view with the door open or closed!

The dinette reaches 38 inches from the back of the B pillar to the back of the seat, the seat is 20” deep and the table is 18” across and is on a 7” raised floor section housing my Espar heater and is a footrest for the swiveled front seats. See my build thread for more, including my hand-drawn plans. I hope this helps.
My dinette:

Galley in Door:

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,978 Posts
It's not the opening. It's the unobstructed space.

With that open space, instead of an aisle where a couple squeeze past each other, there is the feeling of a real room in which the two can walk around, change clothes, etc. The entire ambiance is improved. The open door adjacent to the space makes it feel even more luxurious.

Open space is also handy when the odd situation comes along. When we go to NH next spring, we will be bring great-grandmother's rocking chair to the new mother. We will camp along the way, so no removing the setup. The chair will fit nicely in the space and for a few days we will be cramped the way most upfits are all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Ah ha, I get it. My room is the section inside as the bed is collapsed into a couch most days so it feels spacious in this little van. Your open built-in bed used that space, like my picture of the door above with the bed open. I would value that door opening too if my bed were full sized permanently. The poster will have lots more space to use so his choice will be more open space with or without the door space. Good point.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
It's not the opening. It's the unobstructed space.

With that open space, instead of an aisle where a couple squeeze past each other, there is the feeling of a real room in which the two can walk around, change clothes, etc. The entire ambiance is improved. The open door adjacent to the space makes it feel even more luxurious.

Open space is also handy when the odd situation comes along. When we go to NH next spring, we will be bring great-grandmother's rocking chair to the new mother. We will camp along the way, so no removing the setup. The chair will fit nicely in the space and for a few days we will be cramped the way most upfits are all the time.
And, as a plus, Mrnomer can rock Msnomer to sleep each evening they are on the road ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get to collapse nothing, as there are bikes, gear, water and stuff underneath the bed.

Step 1 will be to build the bed and just the walls/floor and then I'll do some carboard cutouts to see how it feels. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of my lessons learned: don't plan away 100% of your space... keep a few inches in reserve, or better yet, retain a design element that you can scale down (or up) without ruining the overall plan.
Good call. That's basically what I have with that wardrobe too. The kitchen cabinet is easy as it's "one thing", where the couch/electricals/batteries etc will more dictate that side of the van, and the wardrobe can scale up or down a tad depending on exact measurements.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I was thinking that at least for "Phase 1" I would electric kettle it if I needed warm water, although that electric water heater is essentially a bigger, more "ready" version of that. Wish they had one with less wattage. I only need "warm" water rather than "piping hot" for something like a quick rinse.
Have a look at Isotemp and Whale water heaters that use engine coolant to heat water. The smaller Isotemps have a 750watt AC element and Whale makes a 12V water heater. We have the Isotemp and the water is hot after a 20 minute drive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh man, this is going to happen much faster/easier than I planned. I was hoping to start my buildout at the end of December and do a lot of work myself. That was until I priced out what it would take to get one of the Denver area buildout places to do my interior for me.

The van is being road tripped back to my place by the end of November, and it will get solar panels, seat swivel, and a window installed by me.

My van is then being dropped off at Colorado Camper Van on December 12th and before the end of the year, it will have
- Full insulation
- Floor, windows, roof panel
- 8 LED puck lights in ceiling with 2 switches
- adjustable bed platform with 6" memory foam mattress
- full wiring for 3 AC outlets and 6 12V/USB outlets with stub wires so I can wire up my inverter/charge/controller/etc
- 2 MaxxAir fans in ceiling

Once all that is in and operational, I can then start adventuring and do some "real world" planning on the floor plan vs just in 3d and pictures. I think between some cardboard mockups and actually camping in the van, I'll figure out exactly what I want/need and where.

Thanks for all the opinions so far, they have been great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts