Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limited space is a challenge in any van design, and since beds take up so much space, I’m always interested in creative solutions.

I just saw pictures of a van that caught my attention. It has two full-size beds without a pop-up roof. Granted, it has a raised fiberglass-type permanent roof, but I’m thinking that perhaps a similar idea can work for shorter individuals in a high roof van. Anyway, this reminded me that few van floorplans make good use of the front/lounge area for full-size beds. I’m posting pictures of this creative design and hope others will do the same with other front bed ideas.

By the way, I also like the bathroom with separate shower that doubles as a closet. I did not find pictures of the hinged closet, or how shower door works. Maybe it only uses a shower curtain once clothes are pulled out.

The overhead bed requires the van’s B pillar crossmember to be removed, but otherwise seems to tuck up high out of the way. In down position it seems to provide adequate vertical clearance for sleeping. Thoughts?
9DC1D0F7-88EF-43B6-9752-871B18D6670F.jpeg
28B42EE9-5F11-43FF-93E2-CA3C175DCDD9.jpeg
1BC0DB7A-F2E3-425A-A091-29718925283E.jpeg
4ED5353A-EF78-4A77-8315-F3D68FDAEEB5.jpeg

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google "cab bunk" for another option.
Are you referring to beds for Class Bs and vans?

I’ve seen plenty of beds for Class Cs, but few applications for vans beyond the typical compact bed for a child like shown below.

7964BB94-B0F6-42FE-995E-DBA920DCCCE9.jpeg
96608030-DE14-4A04-B27C-C8AADB7CB6A9.jpeg

·
Registered
549 Posts
The overhead bed requires the van’s B pillar crossmember to be removed, <snip> Thoughts?
Yeah, but none of them are good. Seriously? Remove the B pillar? Why not take the curtain air bags off and make enough room to store your pyjamas. You could take out the steering wheel airbag and have a handy storage for your toothbrush.

Is it April 1st already or is this serious?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Yeah, but none of them are good. Seriously? Remove the B pillar? Why not take the curtain air bags off and make enough room to store your pyjamas. You could take out the steering wheel airbag and have a handy storage for your toothbrush.

@Chance is referring to the thin piece of metal that hold the shelf up, it's not structural.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What Phil said. I’m not certain it’s not a structural member because it may add lateral stiffness and strength in a side crash. Not sure. Other Euro vans have removed that member and it opens the cab area significantly.

In the case of this van design, it is required in order for large bed to tuck up high against raised ceiling. Pictures below are more clear about this issue.

82D98500-5488-4DDD-8C99-95D2C44C2DFA.jpeg
64120E35-7680-413C-A239-93713FC06CE6.jpeg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you checked out cabbunk? UK company, one or two hanging cots each, holds up to 150 lbs 5'5" Price is about $450 US shipped. There are also some homemade versions of this. We're trying to work out how to make our own for the 2 little grandkids, based on the photo below. I can't find the original creator of this homemade version. The cabbunk version is worked out a little better/stronger, I believe, but we've got time right now so will work on a self-build like this.

I've found a few homemade versions of the cabbunk. Here's one, no instructions, just a photo:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m confused. Isn’t the B pillar the one the front door closes on? Are you referring to the ceiling rib supported by the B pillars??
Yes, that’s the B pillar. I was referring to horizontal member that connects between the two B pillars some distance below ceiling on high-roof vans. I’m not sure what they add on low-roof vans, if anything. Pictures look like there is reinforcement at ceiling level on LR, but I can’t really tell.

Anyway, I’m fairly sure now that I made a mistake assuming van in first post had a raised fiberglass roof. I first thought it was like the National Traveler by Regency RV I saw at Tampa RV Super Show, which had a tall full-length fiberglass roof added to a high-roof ProMaster. However, looking closer this van appears to have a European H3 factory roof, with only the very front section replaced from doors forward. In picture below it’s easier to see slight different color of fiberglass roof extension.

A large comfortable bed up front may open additional floorplan possibilities to have more storage, or garage for toys, or a full bath, etc. in same size van. Mostly it’s a way to bring grandkids along once in a while. It’s a feature I like about the original Winnebago Travato, although converting front seats to a small and uncomfortable bed is a hassle. A better front bed option is needed.
D53A94F1-BD6E-492F-A05A-D27EB80FF6DC.jpeg

·
Registered
107 Posts
I made a front bed for the two front seats out of plyboard in my MH. Have not used it but was an afternoon project. I had to make it trifold so I could take apart and store.
5.4' Single Bed.JPG Cab Bed Plywood Base.JPG Plywood Bed base.JPG

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I liked the appearance of the one at Tampa Show OK, although van is tall. The rear bed was up high against ceiling by day, and looked comfortable. The lounge area below bed could be made into a second bed.

However, as I get older, the idea of sleeping with wife across a van requiring climbing over each other, or a longitudinal bed that can only be accessed from the end, doesn’t appeal to me as much as when we were much younger. Also, if I had to climb a ladder to get into an elevated bed, i think I’d rather sleep on floor on a pad or mattress.
9B1CEF91-D772-4665-B041-0C2DF07AFB21.jpeg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts