Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone,
Massive creaking coming from what I thought was insulation is actually the back door latches? On the top of the back doors. Not sure what to call them but the black plastic caps on top of the back doors that holds the opening mechanism? Anyway, when I turn and the van twists which is every turn it seems there is aloud creaking. Driving me nuts. I’m glad it’s not the insulation but what would you guys suggest? I found out by just walking back and pushing on each door and it recreates the creaking.
Is there an adjustment I can make? Some type of lubricant that will quite it down? Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
There was a service memo on that, depending on the year. They replaced all of the rear door closing mechanism under warranty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good Morning.

We have a lot of rattling coming from the area of the back doors. Have not opened the panels to take a look yet. Anyone else have this problem and know what is needed to quiet them down?

We also will eventually want to insulate the back doors. Suggesting for insulation type considering the mechanisms in the doors?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks keeponvaning,
I’ll dig a bit more but good to hear I’m not alone and this can be fixed. I was really freaking out that it was coming from insulation and I was going to have to pull it all to find the creaking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok per another member in another thread I picked up some lithium grease and sprayed liberally on the mechanisms and viola’ no more creaking. And I mean it was loud before. I’ve only pushed on the doors not actually driven it yet but I cannot recreate the creaking no matter how hard I try so hoping this will last. It looks like we should all put a can of this in the tool chest for any squeaking,creaking, noises that crop up. Cheers, hope this helps others. What a relief.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
That’s a good start but the real problem is the pads that "lock"the door in place need to be adjusted or maybe replaced with the new one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I wonder how long it will last but still doing happy dance. Small victories. For now too many fires to put out.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
Service memo, not manual. They did a recall about 2 years ago or so and replaced the rear door latching mechanisms under warrantee for all vehicles built in a certain time frame. Unfortunate, I do no have the recall number handy but any Ram dealer should be able to run your VIN and see if it is applicable and/or has been done.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I have a 2017 and I just ran my VIN to check for recalls and found none. It could be that kov's particular problem was resolved in subsequent models.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
I think you’ll find the upper & lower stops need to be adjusted on the inside of the opening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts