Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got in accident near Victoria, Texas, shortly after starting my drive home from Corpus Christi to Chicago. I was at fault but luckily nobody got hurt. Just hoping she's not totaled. She will be taken from the wrecker's yard to the shop State Farm wants me to use on Monday.

Engine still turned over but the tow truck driver thought the computer was keeping it from starting due to a fuel leak. Still rolled on the cockeyed front wheel.

Sorry for the poor photos of the damage, I was pretty rattled yesterday. Impact was pretty much right at the front wheel. I will post more photos tomorrow.

Lots to figure out, the truck is fully loaded with all my windsurfing gear. Planning to fly home on Tuesday and then come back down if and when it's repaired. Such a bummer! Thought I would share the journey with the forum - and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into a salvage story!
View attachment 74107 View attachment 74108
i hope you took photos of all your gear, wrecker drivers here are notorius for removing your things and saying they weren't in the vehicle. good luck to you. also, you have the right in texas to request the purchase price of the vehicle if totaled. usually 51% of the price they would pay for your loss

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
@GerryC, any updates? My shop opened up the front end (I'll post pics this weekend) and said the frame needs to be measured and aligned - there is another thread here (search "collision repair") where the PM measurements specs can be downloaded. My problem now is finding a shop that can fit a 159" wheelbase 8.5' high rig inside. We will be calling around but I've not found a thread answering my question: anyone had a "frame pull" or realignment done? Any issues with that? The entire front end is easy to replace parts for (and you can bet I'll upgrade that wimpy horn!) so I've been tempted to do the repairs myself, but the hood gaps indicate I need to call in the pros.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
@GerryC, ....... We will be calling around but I've not found a thread answering my question: anyone had a "frame pull" or realignment done? Any issues with that? The entire front end is easy to replace parts for (and you can bet I'll upgrade that wimpy horn!) so I've been tempted to do the repairs myself, but the hood gaps indicate I need to call in the pros.
best I can do
http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/collision/ram-promaster-2014-present.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
They're still working on it, I'll be calling them tomorrow for an update. I will ask specifically about frame damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Talked to the shop today, he said there was no frame damage so that was lucky. As you would expect from the pics, pretty much everything having to do with the front right wheel had to be replaced - knuckle, control arms, shock, strut, etc.

Now that they have it rolling again, they can get in on their "frame machine," which they will use to measure everything, straighten the pillar, and pull anything else they need to get the body back where it should be (he did use the term "pull"). Door will be new.

I checked with the shop about oversized vehicles before it was towed there. This place works on trucks so the have several tall bays, they were actually working on a smashed fender on a semi when I went in to clean out the fridge etc.

Hope to be driving home in two weeks - which will make a total repair time of just over 4 weeks. Good luck with your repairs, Shred da Gorge!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Another update - once the truck was on their frame machine, there were three parts that could not be pulled straight so they had to order new ones: the column/pillar that the door bolts onto, the wheel well with the "cup" for the strut mount, and the firewall at the rear of the engine compartment. So the damage was worse than they originally thought.

The parts were ordered last week and we are still waiting. So he says it's very unlikely it will be done next week, most likely the week after depending on when the parts arrive. Estimate went up but still no issue with being totaled. Trying to stay patient, looks like it will be a six week repair, possibly longer.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear that. My neighbor is a cop and recommended a shop that does trucks and turned out to be in my insurer's network, so $500 and a week later we picked it up today - they even washed the roof. Except for the bumper all the plastic parts were in stock at a nearby dealer who also sold them an $800+ alloy skid plate that it turns out doesn't belong on this van.

The front end was pretty skewed and definitely needed to be "pulled". They showed me pics of measurements (had to remove the headlights to hit some fiduciaries that are used there).

The shop since has two more PMs in (delivery vans) and said we're lucky because the Ford Transit parts are massively backordered. I had found parts on eBay from several junkyards actually in TX; wonder if that's an option for your trim? Best of luck!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts