Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in accident near Victoria, Texas, shortly after starting my drive home from Corpus Christi to Chicago. I was at fault but luckily nobody got hurt. Just hoping she's not totaled. She will be taken from the wrecker's yard to the shop State Farm wants me to use on Monday.

Engine still turned over but the tow truck driver thought the computer was keeping it from starting due to a fuel leak. Still rolled on the cockeyed front wheel.

Sorry for the poor photos of the damage, I was pretty rattled yesterday. Impact was pretty much right at the front wheel. I will post more photos tomorrow.

Lots to figure out, the truck is fully loaded with all my windsurfing gear. Planning to fly home on Tuesday and then come back down if and when it's repaired. Such a bummer! Thought I would share the journey with the forum - and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into a salvage story!
IMG_20210508_124048376_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210508_132351721.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure. Luckily the other vehicle was a Ram 3500 work truck and not a motorcycle. Could have been so much worse.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
308 Posts
Ouch! ..Keep pics of all personal belongings inside , possible that the unauthorized may look around your vehicle . Best of luck .

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
Came here to post similar; my wife was hit on the opposite front corner as yours by someone passing her as she turned left. She thought I'd be super upset, but RV8R nailed it - nobody was hurt (especially not your boards... ;-).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I know more pics will be helpful, which I will post tomorrow if possible, but I would welcome any speculation on whether this should be repairable or not. I'm trying not to go there, but a salvage situation would make things really difficult given that it's fully loaded with fridge, sink, etc. plus a bunch of large gear.

It's not insured as a camper, so I'm sure State Farm will base it on the value as a truck. But as long as it's repairable I would pay the difference.

My fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
With it being relatively new you shouldn't have much depreciation so it may not be totaled. If the interior isn't affected (i.e. you didn't roll over!) then RV vs auto insurance should be irrelevant. Your claims person will likely take a recorded statement over the phone of what happened (so they can figure out if they have a case to file claim against the other driver's insurance). It should then be a case of paying your deductible and waiting to see if your premiums rise. Note that many claims adjusters are still working 'virtually' so may not even inspect your damage in person due to COVID. You will probably want a few estimates from different body shops. Also you may want to follow this thread: Collision repair specs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all SO helpful, thanks very much. I am most worried about damage to the frame that's beyond repair, if there is such a thing. Based on the collision repair specs it looks like the "crinkle cut" section at the front is designed to be replaced, but it seems like there could be structural damage behind that, since the impact point was basically right around the area where the engine/wheels/axels are mounted. I'm not technical enough to fully understand those collision specs, but it did seem like a lot can be done to fix structural damage further back with the right equipment - so that is giving me hope that it will play out exactly as shreddagorge described!

Flashers came on so seems pretty certain the fuel cutoff was triggered. No sign or smell of leaking fuel. I will be sure to share that info with the shop and wrecker guy. Seemed like it wanted to start so I guess that's a good sign. Interior was not really affected, which was also lucky - assuming the front end damage is fixable.

Immediate goal is to get it in with a good shop on Monday, hoping they can tell me pretty quickly whether they see any "show stoppers." Given the amount invested I will gladly pay a quite a lot out of my own pocket if repair costs exceed the coverage. It's only a year old with 14K so value should be pretty high.

More to come, but in the mean time if anyone knows whether there is such thing as "unrepairable" front-end frame damage I would be very interested. I am not so much worried about shelling out some money as I am about having to start all over again - and about having to figure out how to get everything home!

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
193 Posts
dont let them total it on you, and if they do, buy it back from them. you would be amazed at what can be repaired. you might have to live with a salvage title after this, but so what.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
Take extensive photos if you can. I got an estimate of $666 from a shop here in California that my neighbor recommended, and the owner seemed like he'd work with me depending on whether I file a claim or not (typical - the shop will do the most work if they know insurance is paying for it - neighbor says this shop dropped the price and gave him 10% cash discount once he knew it was out-of-pocket). At some point someone will need to start removing outer panels to inspect what's underneath, but first make sure your claim is filed with as much information and photo detail as possible. Ask your insurer if they will send a claims adjuster onsite, and ask them if it's OK for shops to remove panels for more accurate estimates.

To add: excellent point from @mtiberio - your insurer will do what's best for them, only you can be your best advocate. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
209 Posts
Yikes. That glass damage is scary as hades [edit: wow, the other word is blocked here? well, alright]. Glad you're ok.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
422 Posts
If you want to buy back the van if they decide to total it. You should look at the copart(dealer salvage auction) and figure out what is good buy back price. But also figure what the salvage/rebuild title process for your reg state and insurance cost. Im with mercury and they will only insure liability with my salvage title van, something to consider.

Reactions: daklein

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The windshield surprised me when I saw it. When they hauled it away it was spider webbed, apparently the wind forces on the highway caused it to collapse when they were transporting it.

Right now I am hoping for the "not totaled" scenario! But I did talk to my State Farm agent about it and he basically said that if cost of repairs exceeds market value minus salvage value, I could pay the difference and get the repairs done. If it goes down that path, I will obviously want to haggle for the highest possible market value and lowest possible salvage value. But I'm hoping repairs will come in at less than that and I'll just be on the hook for the deductible.

More to come!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I hate front end damage....once upon a time bought Chrysler 4wheel drive station wagon not jeep....new tires but it set funny ....tires less distance at bottom of tire than at top of tire from each other....it ate tires....17000 to 20000 miles and should have changed out at 10000....must have been frame damage....nobody could fix it

Good Luck

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
855 Posts
#1 , State Farm is notorious for totaling , especially if you cave in to their lowball van valuation .
#2 , partner shop ? is State Farm in the insurance business or the auto body business .(conflict of interest).
#3 , get hot on proving the van's worth , shop and print out similar vans .
#4 , it doesn't look that bad , might have a little A pillar damage .

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Got in accident near Victoria, Texas, shortly after starting my drive home from Corpus Christi to Chicago. I was at fault but luckily nobody got hurt. Just hoping she's not totaled. She will be taken from the wrecker's yard to the shop State Farm wants me to use on Monday.

Engine still turned over but the tow truck driver thought the computer was keeping it from starting due to a fuel leak. Still rolled on the cockeyed front wheel.

Sorry for the poor photos of the damage, I was pretty rattled yesterday. Impact was pretty much right at the front wheel. I will post more photos tomorrow.

Lots to figure out, the truck is fully loaded with all my windsurfing gear. Planning to fly home on Tuesday and then come back down if and when it's repaired. Such a bummer! Thought I would share the journey with the forum - and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into a salvage story!
View attachment 74107 View attachment 74108
You are not alone and I feel for you. I crashed my first build 6 days after I started my first trip in it. I was up in Prince Edward Island, Canada. I started out from Peoria, IL. Mine was totaled even though I wouldn't have thought so. I had to deal with deciding what I wanted to ship back home or just leave there in the van. I fought with my insurance company for close to a year and had to invoke arbitration. Because I had receipts for everything I added for the build and had many pictures inside and out to show all the modifications I was able to come out whole except, of course, for my labor. I hope your claim goes better. It is always good to fully document your build just in case something like this happens. I did a new build and just returned after a 5,000 plus mile trip. Life is good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts