Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appears I might be the first with this issue, but my rear bumper is cracking at one of the seams. I fear that if I take it in under warranty they are going to blame the Curt hitch I installed.

The bumper always seemed a bit flimsy anyways. There is no support under there. I even have a back "porch" that I mostly step on, so the bumper rarely gets used as a step. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
No problems here. I've been climbing in and out the back of BoB since I started building on it last summer. Likely far more steps on the bumper than you'd see in 'normal' RV style use. So many times back and forth from van to shop and back and forth and back...

·
Registered
100 Posts
The hitch does apply some stress to it. I placed washers under mine as spacers when I installed my hitch. Now it doesn't have to stretch like the bumper tries to make it do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Interesting theory on the Curt hitch. My bumper cracked. I had Curt hitch. Dealer replaced under warranty.

I have since removed my hitch because it would not fit with my new full width rear step. Rear step mounted in same hole as hitch, so hitch is gone. I only used hitch to mount small hitch step anyway.

I still think bumper design is weak and likely to fail again. Lucky bumper only costs about $80 after core charge swap. Dealer said Chysler adds core charge to protect dealers from aftermarket. Core charge adds $100 to cost if you don't exchange old bumper at time of purchase.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems they should put some metal support brackets. Hate the fact that they likely just trash the plastic and it ends up in the landfill, all because of a weak design. Guess I might try and reinforce the new one so it doesn't happen again.

Reactions: uNik

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also just installed a Curt hitch, I may need to find a way to modify the way the bumper fits so mine does not crack

Also, I have a step attached to my hitch which makes the park sense go off. Anyone ever disconnect the center sensors?
I did find out a weird thing, I cannot turn the radio off when in reverse, wtf?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I also just installed a Curt hitch, I may need to find a way to modify the way the bumper fits so mine does not crack

Also, I have a step attached to my hitch which makes the park sense go off. Anyone ever disconnect the center sensors?
I did find out a weird thing, I cannot turn the radio off when in reverse, wtf?
I tired disconnecting sensors. It set off another warning, I think on dash. I forgot.

Never could solve it. I learned to ignore buzzing.

Too late for me, but someone here said they found a foam product you could put over sensor that fooled it.

Now that hitch step is gone, it sure is nice to be able to use and trust buzzers again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tired disconnecting sensors. It set off another warning, I think on dash. I forgot.

Never could solve it. I learned to ignore buzzing.

Too late for me, but someone here said they found a foam product you could put over sensor that fooled it.

Now that hitch step is gone, it sure is nice to be able to use and trust buzzers again.
What did you use instead of the hitch step?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
yes i have the park assist sensor. But don't really need them because also have the backup camera. This is the hitchstep

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CIDo9KWw5M4CFZEBaQodoCwDqA
It would seem to me that the "drop" height of the hitch mount would make a difference. Perhaps a lower step (more drop height) would not trigger the sensors. Zwarte, how low is the hitch height relative to the rear bumper? I'm thinking of the step you have, but wondering how much drop to buy in a hitch mount (which I'm sure is sold separately from the step)

I suppose it doesn't matter to me... no backup sensors.... but the drop would be useful info for others....

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like that step. You could use a larger drop hitch to get more of a step down. I went with this hitch step and while I do like it, a little more drop would be nice also. I do not have the sensors but I'd imagine mine would set them off as it is just below the level of the bumper.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Struck with the cracked bumper issue. Dealer said he needed to take pictures and send to FCA to get approval to replace under warranty....Fingers crossed!

Went to the dealer for a few service issues. All of the guys, including the service dept manager, have been moved to the Honda dealer - same owner. 2 1/2 years cultivating a relationship with the service dept down the drain! ARRRGGGHHH!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had the Curt hitch for some time now and use the bumper to step quite a bit and have no problem with it yet...surprises me as I've had all the issues everyone seems to have plus many more that seem to be just my vehicle...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
In my situation, I use the back door to get in and out of the van when I'm at home. Under our carport, it's easier than using the driver door. So, that plus the 1000's of ins and outs while building the van, adds up to lots of bumper-stepping!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts