Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced a windshield yet? I have the 136 low roof. Wonder who has the least expensive replacement. Called the dealer and they seemed very expensive.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I added full windshield coverage to my insurance. It was very cheap.

These windshields get pummeled by stones on the highway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Windshields are very susceptible..... Safelite - dont know about replacement costs, but to fill a chip / crack I had, it was $50 at speedy glass (a local business). Safelite wanted $119.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just had a major chip done at Safelight in Janesville Wi. My high roof fit inside their heated shop. Took less than an hour for their tech to show up. Was a quick fix. This was the worst chip I have ever had on a windshield very deep and cracking outward, was worried it would spread. Had it filled within a day of happening. Been about two weeks and so far so good. I have had multiple hits on my PM, the worst ones from oncoming vehicles, some so loud I thought the windshield would collapse. In the past I would replace a windshield if the chip was in my immediate field of view due to the distraction. I will be waiting for a major crack before replacement on this one due to the frequent pummeling this thing takes. On a side note the cost of repair was 80 bucks with tax (business discount). They also told me if the repair cracks the cost is applied to a replacement windshield. Excellent bunch at this location.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
Many states require insurance company's to repair small cracks and chips for free. You should always check.

In MA, insurance company's have to replace at no cost if you have glass coverage and in NH it's a $100 deductible.

Every state is differeent but it helps to know up front and if you don't have glass coverage it's usually quite inexpensive and well worth it on a Promaster type van!

·
Registered
473 Posts
All these European vans, Sprinter, PM & Transit will & do have issues with the windshield getting "pummeled". Just the nature of the beast.
I know a couple of long time Sprinter owners, 10 & 8 years owned, with 330,000 miles between them. Adding both their windshield replacement numbers comes up to 7 total, with one getting real close to needing another one.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Anyone replaced a windshield yet? I have the 136 low roof. Wonder who has the least expensive replacement. Called the dealer and they seemed very expensive.
Safelite did mine for $420, in my yard, about $440 cheaper than the regional glass company here in NH.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
paint chips

A little below the windshield on the snout of the vehicle Ive noticed numerous paint chips from stones. Does anyone have experience in touching up the front end?
Im thinking just a bottle of touch up paint but it will become a regular exercise, maybe some kind of protective coat or such.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
You are so lucky as black is black. Sandstone metallic is another matter but the chips don’t show like they would in black. Bra?
http://www.eurocampers.com/Dodge-ProMaster-Hood-Bras_c_563.html
Clear protection kit?
https://www.amazon.com/2015-DODGE-RAM-PROMASTER--4562-Protection-PROMASTER-Pre-Cut-Scotchgard/dp/B01BTMTZPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469357307&sr=8-1&keywords=Ram+promaster+bra
Let us know if you are happy with such a thing.
Thanks,
The bra looks useful if it stays in place. the clear protection film I can visualize as being bubbled and wrinkles despite the squeegee. Do you use one of those products.?
Im thinking some kind of spray or perhaps plastidip.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
I don’t use them and I have removed those Bra-like products when I lived in Vermont as salt would get below them and do its work on the hood. I removed bug deflectors too as pine needles and detritus catches below them. I have seen the plastic sheeting on rocker panels and truck fenders and believe it is the best choice but I have no idea if a nonprofessional can install it. I’d rely on a window-tint place to advise me perhaps. The paint already has a clear coat spray on it. I think an annual touch up would be my choice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Some years ago I had clear plastic (I think a 3M product) professionally applied to a Sprinter. It was expensive. The shop had software that operated a cutting machine to get out the pieces (6 or 8 for the front) for an exact fit. They did meticulous surface preparation including the use of clay. The film prevented chips but I found that cleaning off bugs was a tad more difficult that on the unprotected clear coated surface.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts