Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Windows: Fixed vs T-vent

Hi everyone. Recently I got my promaster 136 wb hr , converting to camper van. Need some help from you. thinking to installl windows. Can't decide Fixed vs T-vent ???? could you give me some suggestions . do T-vent windows worth spending extra $$$, considering I will have maxxair fan ?!?!?!? Thx...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Just weighing in on the CRL experience...I installed the vented OEM look on front diver's side. I have a 159 wb. I cut part of the shipping box to size of the window and then traced the frame inside that. The cardboard 'window' fit well so I taped it up on the side of the van.

Note I had a smaller generic CRL flat slider window in that space initially but I hated the cripping or waves created around it in the van skin (probably due to my STUPIDLY clamping directly agains the side of the van). Anyway in the first shot you see the hole from the original window.

It all went pretty well but I note like others that the factory lines or stamping (inside) for a cutout were off for this CR Laurence window. The window looks perfect from the outside and it fits great after the install but you can see from some of the inside shots how it doesn't match up with the factory - so don't just cut according to the lines you see on the inside of the van.

Another thing I did which was probably unnecessary was add some butyl tape on the frame where it gets pulled against the van skin. I don't think it creates a problem and may help prevent water ingress. So far so good.

I'm not handy and a noob at all this so want to add I've appreciated all the threads and pictures on all aspects of camper builds on these vehicles. So far I've only done a Maxx fan and this window. For the fan I added a wood framework that the clamp ring will screw to once I have a ceiling.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
For the OP I want to point out the Fan Vent can do very little or nothing unless there is a way for air to enter or exit for the vent to move it in our out. We have awning (like the T vent but one single opening on the bottom half) from Kinro in the side and rear on the drivers side of the van. We run our Fantastic Vent pushing air out at night and open the awning at our head of the bet to get a nice gentle breeze coming in and little noise as our vent is near the front. Get the T vent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been pouring through the search engine and various build threads and ready to just ask the collective.

Putting a CR-L T vent in a sliding door in a 136, is there a consensus on butyl tape vs just the rubber gasket seal for installing one of these? I just pulled the window out of the box and the foam gasket is pretty dense.

Bought from Campervan HQ and their FAQ section says clamp in windows rely on the external rubber compression ring. Installing this weekend so trying to make sure I have everything needed.

thanks folks

·
Registered
386 Posts
... depends on the manufacturer - if you know, call them or check website - if you do not know who made it, butyl is suitable in a inner clamp ring scenario imo

edit - CRL it is ...read the thread header Steve ... lol... sorry, i do find the subject /header hard to notice on my laptop...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've been pouring through the search engine and various build threads and ready to just ask the collective.

Putting a CR-L T vent in a sliding door in a 136, is there a consensus on butyl tape vs just the rubber gasket seal for installing one of these? I just pulled the window out of the box and the foam gasket is pretty dense.

Bought from Campervan HQ and their FAQ section says clamp in windows rely on the external rubber compression ring. Installing this weekend so trying to make sure I have everything needed.

thanks folks
Hi Tchecker

I put a CRL window in our slider (non-vent unit). I did not use butyl tape. Just the gasket that came with the window. I also made sure the exterior paint was super clean (used rubbing alcohol). Cutting the van door took 2hrs - installing the window took 10mins. So far no leaks

I have it documented & photos on my build thread

9E751F22-A6DD-4A0E-A4F1-30B458B1692D.jpeg

245C1573-C6DC-4054-89A0-1A93C4C96EDA.jpeg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Tchecker

I put a CRL window in our slider (non-vent unit). I did not use butyl tape. Just the gasket that came with the window. I also made sure the exterior paint was super clean (used rubbing alcohol). Cutting the van door took 2hrs - installing the window took 10mins. So far no leaks

I have it documented & photos on my build thread

View attachment 59389

View attachment 59390
Thanks RV8R, hole cutting on Saturday!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thanks RV8R, hole cutting on Saturday!
You are welcome; I used a good jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.

magnet or blanket to catch the metal debris
metal filed it where the hole was too tight
used a "scotch-brite pad" to smooth the metal edge see link;

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-scotch-brite-hand-pads-sb04029-bp484?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYPAg7r85QIVsh-tBh0M6wQpEAQYBCABEgKbS_D_BwE

If you have time, treat the bare metal after scotch-brite with a rust paint

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would anyone happen to have a CAD drawing of the proper cutout for a CRL bunk window? I threw away my templates after I cut my windows and now I need one to build interior trim rings, but I don't want to pull the windows back out because I don't think I'll ever get them sealed tight again (I cut my cutouts too big.)

It would be really useful to have a CAD file for this floating around because people wouldn't have to hope that they made their cardboard template correctly, you could just print out a dimensionally perfect one.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Would anyone happen to have a CAD drawing of the proper cutout for a CRL bunk window? I threw away my templates after I cut my windows and now I need one to build interior trim rings, but I don't want to pull the windows back out because I don't think I'll ever get them sealed tight again (I cut my cutouts too big.)

It would be really useful to have a CAD file for this floating around because people wouldn't have to hope that they made their cardboard template correctly, you could just print out a dimensionally perfect one.
The CLR window I installed did not come with a template & I used the cardboard box it came in as my template. I simply measured & traced the actual window frame onto the cardboard. Many photos on my build thread & it was one task that I performed that fit perfectly & sealed very well.

I would not pull the window either, but measure the interior “CLR pinch ring” in place & the four 1/4 round corners, transfer that onto rigid cardboard & cut a new template & test fit it to the interior CLR window for fit. After you get the template right for your CLR window then you can build your interior trims.

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
26 Posts
This original post goes back a few years and someone may have already stated this, sorry.
I did my CR windows at the weekend. One each side at the very back and one on the slider.
I started with the drivers side first and like most people I was surprised there is no template. So I took the frame ring, taped it together and the traced it to cardboard. I then cut it 1/8th smaller and tested it. It matched pretty close to the frame edge that CR says you use. I then marked out, inside the van, first. I then did the hole punch trick, working my way along the Sharpie line. 2 fairly hard taps per spot. More on the corners and less on the straight sides. I then went outside and I could trace the marks I had made. Then I used 2 inch painters tape around the outside of the marked cut line and added tape to the jigsaw foot plate too. Out comes the jig saw with a 32 tooth blade and I proceeded to do the deed.. after drilling a pilot hole.
I started at the bottom then cut nearly half way around to the top. I then drilled another hole at the bottom and then went the other way around to the top but I left a 1inch tab at the bottom, uncut. I then went nearly all the way to first cut and left a 1inch tab there. The reason I did that is I've seen videos of guys fighting the vibration and wobble, they then try and tape the cut piece. This way there's very little wobble. The higher teethed blade helps too. Now the cut piece is hanging there with the two tabs, top and bottom. My wife was in the van as I cut the top one and she could then hold the tin as I cut the bottom one. Real easy and simple as the tin wanted to fall in anyway. I hand filed the burrs then tested the window and it still needed a little more trimming. When I was done I was exactly at the framing that CR said to cut too.
First window fitted in 2 hours. No tape or cauk, just the seal thats on the window. No leaks.
The second and third window was with no template but I did do a few cross reference tape measurements to be sure. I then used the hole punch around the frame, inside, then connected the dots, outside, with Sharpie. I then cut them out, filed the burrs and both fitted perfectly. Each took me an hour then. We are really happy with them and we love the awning vents.
On to more holes tomorrow with the a/c and Maxfan on the roof.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts