Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having all kinds of bad luck. Last night I broke out one of the rear windows in my van. I called around this morning and got all kinds of results. Two places can get the glass from an out of state supplier in a few days and will install it for about $325. A couple more places are telling me that the only source for the glass is the Ram dealer and are quoting me about $500. Another shop says they can't find it at all.

I got online and found that CR Laurence makes a replacement glass for it. I'm finding that CRL item online (part # FW384R) from various sources and Ebay going for between $209 and $263, usually free shipping. One source even had the sliding door glass for $156.

A few questions: Has anyone ordered one of these? Is it good quality? Does it match the glass on the opposite door?
I'm also thinking about installing it myself. It glues in. I'm pretty skilled and handy but have never installed auto glass before. Anyone glued one of these in before?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg128/jc7622/CR Laurence Rear Glass 1_zpssnxhyteu.jpg

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
EG,

I added CRL windows to my 2014 PM when I got it. The factory rear door window glass has much less tint (and a green tint) to it than the CRLs. The I saw RD's 2015! His back doors windows match my CRLs very nicely.

Bottom line: it appears that after 2014, RAM darkened the OEM glass and it now matches the CRL tint, so if you have a newer one (I think you do), the CRL glass should be a good match for the OEM glass for 2015 and beyond...

I DIY'e the CRL side glass on mine, but that uses clamping rings. I think someone here did a glue in install and I don't think it was a big deal! Hoping for more responses....

ed

ps. please post your experience when you do it, it would be good info for others!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2014 and the glass seems to have a green tint to it, but the glass shop said that all "clear" glass is green, especially when its broken. I guess its a matter of how much green tint it has. I was planning on getting them tinted darker, not sure if that would help make them match.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
Yes, I thought about tinting, but ended up covering the windows with wood (covered with black felt) from the inside, so you don't notice the tint. If you go to a tint guy, he can probably match the existing window to the new one if you get a CRL (darker). The guy I went to stuck a few sample tint swatches on to see which matched best.

At those prices, it might be worth doing both and seeing if you could sell the good OEM one!

Could you refer to where you got those prices you showed? They look pretty good!

ed

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
I found the prices at CarID (a forum sponsor) BUT, the problem is the shipping is way too high ($140 more than others). IF you buy a CRL, I would suggest you shop around for price plus shipping to you!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found them for $209 at CarID also. I went through the checkout to see if there was shipping and it said free shipping. But then I did a review of Car Id and the reviews are all over the palce, a lot of people waiting over a month to get items shipped.

I also found an Ebay seller selling this window for $263 with free shipping. The store name is: truckvans. He has a 99% rating. I messaged him to see if the item was in stock but haven't heard back yet.

There were a few more sources that pop up if you search CR Laurence Promaster rear glass and the part#.

Maybe I should research to see what my options are to put in a window that opens. I was planning on putting a small one on the back side for ventilation but doing it on the rear doors might work, assuming the hole isn't already too big for what's available.

I looked on the Motion Windows site but their windows are for an opening hole size about an inch small both ways compared to the factory opening.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ordered a replacement glass and it arrived today. I wound up buying it on EBay from a seller called "trucknvan". The glass is by CR Laurence and was $263 with free shipping. It took a few days to ship but then it arrived in a couple days. I pulled it out of the box and it looks like the right part. My van is in the shop so I won't be able to see how closely it matches the glass on my 2014 until I get it back next week, then I'll either try to glue it on myself or see how much a glass shop will charge me. I'll post a picture with the factory and replacement side by side when I get it installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts