Ram Promaster Forum banner

401 - 412 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
State park campgrounds in South Carolina have been open a couple weeks now and I was thinking of heading down to check out a couple of them near the coast during the 1st week of June. Not too concerned about the individual campsites as they are well-spaced but not so sure what to think about the restroom/shower facilities - possible bottleneck for Covid-19 exposure? Dump stations are open but that whole area around them will naturally be a concern as well.

While the going is good (no big viral surges here, yet) I'm looking forward to just exploring/hiking some different areas during this window of opportunity, in case (or before) they have to close things down again. Weekends will be crazy (as in already booked solid) so will avoid that insanity and was just planning 3-4 days mid-week. Not sure if or how they'll keep restrooms/showers 'sanitized'. Thinking it might be best to just use my porta-potty and wash up in the van the whole time.

Wondered if anyone has hit any of the newly reopened campgrounds (anywhere) yet and can share their experience.

·
Registered
661 Posts
On my last little excursions I take the jug of Clorox wipes and wipe down handles , seats , doors , and everything you'ld touch at the gas pumps . Safety Sam , that's me , good for me , good for you .
HikerBob thanks for your reports of the Carolinas . My daughter's office in Charlotte is going to keep their people working from home for the time being , playing it safe .

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #404 (Edited)
@ KNDLKSTMS - NC got hit much harder than SC, partly due to the Charlotte area. Good to hear your daughter is still working, especially from home!

@ KilWerBzz - Yeah, even though it's unlikely to catch it off surfaces I'll take what I need to sanitize where it seems appropriate. It's also said flushing toilets spreads droplets like a sneeze so that's definitely an issue. Can exclusively use, then empty my on-board 'facility' at the dump station - every day if needed!

A shower would be nice after a long hike but guess it all depends on how crowded it is and how often things get cleaned. Maybe I should stay up near the mountains where it'll be cooler - Table Rock State Park has some really good campgrounds and the showers are separate from the toilets. There's a great 3.5 mile uphill hike there with spectacular views too.

It's less than an hour from my house though and would rather check out something new. Guess I'll be alone in the van with very little sense of smell (thanks to one of my past concussions) so not a big problem. Still a couple weeks before I head out so there's more time to see how this opening up plays out here in the SE.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's my concern about going to public restrooms. A study in Wuhan found the following:

The concentration of virus-containing aerosols was generally very low, or even undetectable, in patient wards, which the authors attribute to effective isolation procedures and good ventilation.

However, there were high concentrations in unventilated portable toilets at the field hospital.
Basically, I don't want to share an enclosed space like the average toilet/shower, and "sharing" means being in the same space where someone else was in the recent past, something I can't predict or control.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Yeah, these kind of tight spaces with plenty of nefarious aerosols and little (if any) ventilation are a problem. Relying solely on what I bring with me might be the only safe way to go. Did I say 3-4 days? Maybe try 2-3 days the first time out.

Also, just saw a report of cases surging in some larger population areas that have opened up (especially across the south), so my plans may be in jeopardy anyway.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hi,

With people deciding that they don't want to fly or take cruise ship vacations, RV sales and RV rentals are up.

I checked on renting a cabin on Redfish lake in Idaho for my daughter and found that nearly their whole summer schedule is already booked up, and they have lots of cabins.

We may go from wondering if there is going to be any van camping this summer to you better make your reservations now if you want to get in :)

Gary

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #412 (Edited)
Saw this in the news recently too. There's a huge Camping World north of Spartanburg that stocked up BIG TIME in anticipation of another banner RV sales year, just before things went south. Their lot was/is packed to the hilt and for awhile they even had to cram some of their incoming inventory in customer parking.

Felt bad for them although now maybe they'll be able to unload some of it...but as MsNomer points out, there may be some good deals on used RV's down the road.

With Hertz going bankrupt analysts expect an unprecedented surge of used cars into the market soon. This fall you might be able to pick up a cheap car to tow behind your discounted motor home.

401 - 412 of 412 Posts