Ram Promaster Forum banner

361 - 380 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mankind will learn a boatload of lessons from this mess (lets hope). This "house arrest" shelter in place "forced retirement" episode has given me a glimpse into my future . Thank goodness I have the van as I can't stay still . Gotta go places , see things , keep moving . I can only sort hardware for so long , running out of small PM projects .

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well I made my 1500 mile trip cut to 1400 mile no problems all interstate, all rest areas open but one and that has been closed for a year. The good I drove through Austin at morning rush hour and I was able to drive the speed limit and no brakes. Don't plan on a campsite if your from out of state as at least one of the states has no out of state RV lodging. Of course I'm here to do lawn work and it's cold and snowing I should have waited a week.
Oh just a thought, wait to do groceries I went yesterday and it was like black Friday with that $1200 payday everybody had.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hi,
Our governor (Montana) imposed a shelter in place order, but also included an exception for hiking and some other outdoor activities as long as social distancing is maintained.

Lots of people taking advantage of this. We took a drive a couple days ago over to one of our favorite spots on the Madison river that has great fishing, rafting, camping and hiking along about 5 miles of the river. Its a popular place in the summer, but normally pretty quiet this time of year, but I've never seen so many people there as there were on our drive. But, everyone seemed to be keeping their distance.
Also people out on the golf course.

We did pass a couple signs reminding people coming from out of state that there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

Also stopped in at Costco during the senior hour and it was fine -- not that many people and no wait to get in and 90% of customers wearing masks.

Gary

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #368 (Edited)
Looks like here in SC we will be among the 'beta-testers' for opening things up early (this week) without adequate testing or any way of knowing how prevalent the infection really is. State lawmakers have pressured the governor and it looks like he's listening to them over the health experts. Obviously, things being closed is wreaking havoc and apparently they've convinced him it can be done 'safely', basically a business decision. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #370 (Edited)
SC state parks are scheduled to reopen on May 1st, including campgrounds, with some restrictions.

From the state park website:

"SC State Parks Set to Reopen Friday, May 1

Following public health protocols, South Carolina State Parks plan to reopen on Friday, May 1, on a limited basis. Group facilities like picnic shelters and community buildings, will remain closed for the time being, and visitor gathering places like interpretive centers and park offices also will remain closed initially or will operate on a limited scale.

• SCPRT will continuously monitor visitor usage and adjust visitor services as needed to ensure compliance with the guidance provided by SCDHEC and the CDC.
  • Each state park plans to lower its carrying capacity, allowing a limited number of visitors at once. Levels vary by park. When a park reaches its threshold, the gates will be closed until the number of visitors decreases.
  • State parks also plan to honor any existing camping and cabin reservations that were scheduled to check in on Friday, May 1, forward. Some state parks will begin taking new reservations for stays that begin May 11 forward, and all park accommodations will come back on line as staffing levels return to normal.
  • State park Visitor Centers are scheduled to reopen on Monday, May 11, and feature proper signage, physical indicators and barriers in place to ensure the safety of staff and visitors.
  • All state park retail stores and spaces should open by Friday, May 15. SCPRT will use SCDHEC and CDC guidance to determine the maximum occupancy in these common area facilities in order to maintain social distancing rules and limit contact between staff and visitors.
  • Due to the difficulty of effectively cleaning equipment, all playgrounds will be closed until June 1. All playground areas will be cordoned off and signed appropriately.
  • Existing reservations for group rental facilities will be cancelled through June 1. These facilities include all shelters and community buildings, wedding venues, group camps and any other facility rented for the purpose of a large gathering. All groups will be given the opportunity to re-book at no additional cost. No fees will be assessed for any cancellation or rescheduling for events occurring prior to July 1. Determinations regarding future cancellations will be made in accordance with the status of health and safety guidelines.
  • Until further notice, state parks will not conduct park programs or tours of historic homes or other historic structures such as the Hunting Island Lighthouse or Atalaya Castle at Huntington Beach State Park. Meanwhile, Facebook Live interpretive programming that became popular in March and April will continue on a limited schedule and can be followed here."
Hopefully (without adequate testing by any stretch of the imagination) this won't turn out to be a mistake.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well did every body go out to the country on earth day and look at the coal plants, steel mills, windmills, grain silos all in the distance and etch them into your memory because soon they will be covered in a foggy haze. It is the only plus of covid-19.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
It has been a wake up call for how much we put into the air we breathe and how reducing it can improve our view and our lungs I’d guess. No summer haze over Phoenix when I was there recently at all. I-10 was busy but nothing like a “normal” Tuesday in April. However the lines at Walmart, Costco, and most other stores kept us from going in as I am not good at waiting. Buy local is my new motto out here where there are no lines, good supplies and if they don’t have it you probably don’t need it anyway.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Here's some stats that I've wanted to see they compare total deaths from previse years to recent total deaths. And the grim reaper seems to be having her day.
Yup a very important “stat” these days;

Our officials are now concerned with secondary effects such as people not coming into the hospitals & clinics for other medical issues “out of fears regarding Covid”. The “News” these days is very difficult to separate facts from opinions, and to exasperate this problem are conflicting reports and conclusions and every changing understanding of the virus.

I could not find “recent total deaths vs previous years” for my Province “BC”. However in a population of 5,071,000 a total of 114 Deaths reported due to Covid ( 75% of these in elderly older than 80 years old ). As of May 2nd

Yearly total deaths in BC;

It seems like the BC stats indicate the goal of “flattening the curve” has been achieved. The “chatter” is in BC, things are going to slowly be opened up.

I will keep up my attempts to find the differences in total death tolls vs population in BC and see if there is an increase (I have no idea why such an important stat is not readily available for BC or why it does not just pop up on the search).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #376 (Edited)
With all the 'civil unrest' - protesters/anti-vaxxers, etc, combined with beach, park, party goers, etc, and now with openings of business, retail, spas, sit down restaurants, etc - infection rates and associated deaths are bound to spike in the next few days, weeks and beyond.

We're not going to get anywhere close to accurate numbers but with rates still increasing in many areas, it looks like we're in for a very, very rough time. As shortages continue to mount, and with no clear/viable exit strategy (or plan) being adhered to, the possibility for mass shortages of just about anything increases with time.

One idiot in isolation usually won't do too much damage, but get two or more together to feed off each other and the possibilities for incredibly stupid actions are almost limitless.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #377 (Edited)
Whatever we do (and as much as I'd love to take a trip in the van now) if people don't get back to work soon we're sunk anyway. It's going to be a fine line we have to walk and ironically, the patchwork of various solutions should give us some insight into which courses of action succeed and which don't. Whether we're smart enough to put 2 and 2 together is another story.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Had my first cataract surgery yesterday—the first patient the first day my surgeon was allowed to to elective surgeries. Because we live a couple hours from OKC, I had the surgery at 8 am, then follow-up visit in the afternoon instead of returning the next day.

With the van, we were able to go down the night before and spend the night in the surgery center lot instead of getting up early and driving. Without Covid, we would have had a list of shopping stops during the day and a restaurant lunch. Instead, we parked in the shade, I took a nap, then we had lunch in the van. Altogether, quite comfortable.

I foresee a lot of similar use in the near future—with our vans being a safe haven.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
We just got back to NH from a mad dash across the country from AZ. We did it in 4 days (three nights) and used truck stops for all our needs. Thematically this was the Truckstop trip! Averaged over 700 miles per day, no issues and diesel was cheap but a lot more than gas for about the first time since we have owned the van. We spent about $100 less than normal even with that. More will follow on the diesel thread later.
IMG_0461.jpeg

361 - 380 of 412 Posts