Ram Promaster Forum banner

201 - 220 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
On a lighter note:
We have a supply system in this country that feeds, clothes, and supplies us with all we need and it is broken for no good reason. I am referring to the toilet paper shortage in most of our stores.
I am a man. I use TP once a day. I am frugal in all things. I just did a survey of the number of sheets of a popular product called Scott Tissue. A roll contains 1,000 sheets. My survey revealed that a frugal person might use 13 sheets for ..... ahem ..... a “normal” bathroom task. That being said, averaging just under one task per day a frugal male person would get 1000/13 uses from a roll or perhaps 77 days/roll. We buy Scott Tissue in paper wrapped single rolls. It would take something like 5 rolls/year for a frugal male to satisfy the need for this bathroom task. I see many people leaving a store with 12 roll plastic packs and in this time of hoarding some leave with 5-6 or more of them. Several things occur to me:
Who is using all that toilet paper? Ms RD does not want to discuss her use so I hesitate to cast blame. A friend and neighbor of mine hated to have his septic pumped and had a few clogs over a period of 20+ years. He insisted his wife not flush the paper used for ..... ahem ...... “alternate” bathroom tasks. He then proudly revealed the amount of paper NOT added to the septic which IIRC was many times the “frugal man” quantity, that task being more often and perhaps needing quantities not envisioned by a frugal man.
Are we substituting TP for uses not envisioned by a frugal man? Some people use it for nose tissues I hear. Others may find it perfect to remove eyeshadow or makeup I imagine. Perhaps poster’s here know of other ways to make use of it?
If the human average is even a roll every two weeks the folks leaving the box store with 72 rolls has a supply for nearly 2 years. I get that we are not going to be through this in a few wekks but really? Two years TP per trip? I cannot imagine dedicating a room to store it in either.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
I hope the sense of 'impending doom' I seem to be feeling is very, very wrong by the way.

Stories like this one doesn't help:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #207

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
About running out of TP, I've been looking at my wood scraps for the right piece to fashion a wooden corn cob. I know someone looking along their creek bed for smooth stones to use should the need arise.
I hope you're kidding. I'm not even going to Google how one would use (and reuse?) A wooden corn cob for such a job. I don't know and don't wanna know.
I assume everyone still has running water and there's nothing a few wet, soapy rags can't handle. Rinse, reuse, rotate, throw in the wash machine.
Shoot, I'll sell ya a couple rolls if it comes down to looking for good wipin' stones in the crick.
$24.95 ea + shipping.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Our biking tour for this week was cancelled, but I still took the time off. We've been working on the ceiling and walls of the van. As long as Amazon will still bring me bolts, we are in good shape.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We mostly beat the rush. The parts we need should in in today and tomorrow. Since we live in the SF Bay Area, Amazon has well stocked warehouses close by, so at this moment we can still get some things in 2-5 days.

It has been interesting to see what Amazon has been quoting for delivery dates and the things they are sold out of. Good luck trying to buy any home workout equipment. We just beat that rush too.

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stopped by my local Sam's club this morning to pick up a few things we needed and get some stuff for one of my daughters that does not live with us. They had at least 10 pallets of the POM toilet paper and a least another 6 of the Charmin big packs. There is a limit of one pack of each type per person. They also had plenty of bottles water (also a limit of one). About the only thing they didn't have was skim milk and some of the bulk hand soap containers and some cleaning supplies. Fully stocked in everything else. This hoarding behavior gave a supply chain a shock for a period of time, but things have mostly caught up and will likely be just like normal for everything here shortly. I do like the gas for $1.55 / gallon, but of course not doing hardly any driving just like everyone else. Couple of pallets of reams of printer paper also sitting there in reference to the above amazon post and I just ordered some stuff last night and could have gotten it Friday, but will have them deliver on Saturday. So, at least in my area, supplies are pretty normal. Into work today and very light traffic of course. We are getting a lot of movies watched at home, I'm going through a lot of the older Bond movies with the kids and they get a kick out of them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
That pet mask isn't that bad an idea, especially for dogs in public to avoid, 'hand to dog - dog to hand', transmission. Think of all those wet noses. Never be able to keep it on a dog though. I've been hitting local hiking trails for some exercise and to depressurize. In the past it's been common to see loose dogs everywhere (mainly in one area where it's been accepted) but for the last week all dogs have been on leashes with owners keeping them apart from everyone else and their dogs. Most conversations I've had (and seen) out in the fields and woods have been occurring while standing about 15-20 feet apart.

201 - 220 of 270 Posts