Ram Promaster Forum banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Not good for sewer systems though, or septic tanks like mine. Guaranteed clog. Ok for outhouses and wooded locations though.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
We always get the paper towels that are perforated every 6" so you can tear off half sheets.
Those rolls, cut in half, would probably work even better as TP.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What is the fascination about TP? This is a respiratory infection not a GI disease! In fact it does not cause much phlegm so even tissues may not be needed. What there should be a run on, are anti-fever or breathing aids. We all need food but 6-8 rolls of TP ought to last a couple who do not have hardly any food for a long time!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks HikerBob

An Unprecedented Time for sure.

With the reporting we got early on, I came to two conclusions just by reading;

1 It is a very contagious disease

2 Since the information/reporting seemed to change, they really do not know a lot about it

I have been using latex throw away gloves when out of my house & in public spaces like pumping gas etc. At 1st I felt like an overreactor & that isn't me. Now things have changed & it is more the norm.

Here is a report the spread is also by Aerosol;

New coronavirus stable for hours on surfaces

Aerosol Transmission

Aerosol Transmission of Infectious Disease - PubMed

·
Registered
938 Posts
From Beer to Hand Sanitizer;

Supplies from Other Sources;

Innovation, Human Spirit, & We All Have a Roll to Play. I heard a story of innovation & existing ventilators that are in very short supply being “Macgyver’d” to be able to hook up 4 people at once. Many of these small things can add up to a huge help.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You've all seen the news I'm sure, none of it good. Wouldn't be surprised to see various levels of escalating travel restrictions rolling out soon and it's likely to get increasingly difficult to travel cross-country. If you're away from home, or not in your 'other' home that you want to 'ride this out' in, it may be wise to pack up in the next couple days and get there before things get really bad.

HikerBob

Was it only 11 Days Ago when you started this Thread ??

Wow, have thing changed huge in that short time (When Required Our Canadian Isolation Period is 14 Days - This thread is not even that).

So Thank You for your first words on this, which now seem to be 2020 Foresight (I re-read your words). I have read many of your posts on this forum, & learned from them. This thread you have started may be the most important one you started.

Canada, as I have seen in the USA, numbers are being thrown all over the place. 10% to 60% of Canadians are going to get Covid. Non-Essential travel just helps the virus spread. Like you, my odds of getting sick with this virus under my own assessment is greater than 50% as I share my home with my wife RN & another health care worker. So my actions & self restrictions are inline with my resolve that I will be infected & I will not immediately know when. This virus was spread via travel. We either self-impose our own restrictions or the Governments will have to ramp things up.

History repeats itself; 2008 our higher ups looked at the Subprime failure in the USA & thought wow that is a mess, but we have a different (more rules & restrictions) banking system in Canada so we will be unscathed (It was like standing on the beach looking at a tsunami wave n the distance & feeling safe). Just like in 2008, the World was looking @ China & allowing (with 2020 hindsight) ridiculous non-restricted travel non-quarantined return to country travel. Instead of Country border restrictions, it has needed to go to household border restrictions.

Van travel these days I would think has many more challenges than just the main one of not assisting the virus to spread (or get ill yourself). Like mechanical breakdowns etc (I read about another poster enroute with electrical problems on his PM & feel his concern over getting help - RD gave him some pointers to check on the road & I hope he can find the issue so he does not have to limp home).

Godspeed to those of you on the road.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So your out of TP don't worry buy a cheap 20 pack of cloth wash or dish rags and a pail with lid and treat them as dirty cloth diapers. Washing dirty diaper instructions are on line. Try not to put a wet wipe in the pail, poo and water will smell. Remember Sears Roebuck and co's. catalog was what was used for many years. The Romans used river stone. Go through your sock drawer i'm sure you have some old and worn socks that could be taken out of service and re-purposed even an old bed sheet cut in to squares. Time to relive the good old days.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
306 Posts
WP_20200318_12_26_10_Pro_LI.jpg
Meanwhile here in Baja all the to you want. We are riding dirt bikes from Ensenada to Cabo and it's like nothing is wrong. We are mostly in very small towns.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
View attachment 62017 Meanwhile here in Baja all the to you want. We are riding dirt bikes from Ensenada to Cabo and it's like nothing is wrong. We are mostly in very small towns.
Sure, it was like that here a few days ago too. Mexico is still ramping up and it's highly likely some in your crowd there brought more of it with them. Best of luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
History repeats itself; 2008 our higher ups looked at the Subprime failure in the USA & thought wow that is a mess, but we have a different (more rules & restrictions) banking system in Canada so we will be unscathed .
I 100% agree on the non-essential travel, but disagree that Canada's banking will sail through. Like other not, it's a global economy as other country's banking goes in the toilet I think Canada's will follow.

The wife is from Manitoba and we have family there dependent on Canada market investment returns for retirement.....it's not looking good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
RV8R - yeah, a lot can happen in 11 days but we need to buckle up as it's only started. It was late last month on my AZ trip that I became increasingly concerned and actually cut my trip a couple days short. I find it incredibly alarming that so many folks still aren't taking any of this seriously with large gatherings and big parties still going on.

If the virus continues on it's current exponential curve (and all signs show it will) we'll all be brought to our knees in a very short time anyway. The responsible, quiet, reserved few will once again be paying for the irresponsible, self-absorbed, privileged, me/me/me crowd. Already happening in NYC, likely only a matter of days for huge outbreaks elsewhere that will overwhelm medical capability. As far as history repeating itself, yes, we remain stupid, but this is shaping up to be on a whole other level.

At just 59, my BIL in New Jersey was just diagnosed with stage 3-4 lung cancer that has spread to a lymph node, with another possibly malignant tumor in his abdomen. He needs immediate medical care and is scheduled for surgery early this week, but being less than 50 miles from NYC (US COVID ground zero) the chance he will contract the virus (may already have it) is high. Which may be for the best considering his chances of any quality of life ahead.

At this point I don't care about my van, my house, my yard, etc. We are so ill-prepared I'm seeing we are going to be 'tested' like few (if any) of us has ever been before. I feel like I'm watching an enormous, apocalyptic train wreck in slow motion and there's not a [email protected] thing I can do about it. Yes, most will survive but the cost to humanity will be immense.

Again, unless we find a cure very soon, or the virus just goes dormant, I think it's time to seriously consider the possibility of a new reality - and I don't think we're gonna like it (increasing mass shortages, forced curfews, martial law, etc).

181 - 200 of 237 Posts