Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You've all seen the news I'm sure, none of it good. Wouldn't be surprised to see various levels of escalating travel restrictions rolling out soon and it's likely to get increasingly difficult to travel cross-country. If you're away from home, or not in your 'other' home that you want to 'ride this out' in, it may be wise to pack up in the next couple days and get there before things get really bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been studying on that a little the past couple of days. We are scheduled to go to the Keys at the end of the month and they also have the new mosquito virus. Scheduled to go to California in June. Don’t want to be fearful and not do anything but my best girl has some health issues and we may just cool it and play another day.
Watching in prayer

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Been researching this quite a bit the last few days. There were 2 cases in SC yesterday, 8 today. Germany is projecting a 60-70% infection rate.

On a positive note, gas is down to $1.75/gal at Costco in Spartanburg. So cheaper to travel than it's been in a long, long time, but...

Was hoping to take a trip to see some relatives in Tulsa next month but that appears unlikely now.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
In a couple of days, we head to California for about a month. We will be fairly isolated, our biggest vulnerabilities fueling up and groceries. We hadn’t thought of parks closing.

Here's a park being used for isolation. It makes sense.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's just south of Athens, GA, almost stopped at that park for some hiking + the night on a 6-day trip last month.

There's just too much alarming news to include here, such as that they're now saying this has a death rate 10 times higher than influenza. The list goes on and we can all do our own checking. With some states already deploying the National Guard in spots it looks like things are going to change for us all very quickly.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hi,
We are struggling with the same issue for some planned van trips.

Its unclear to me how our risk would be any higher while traveling in the van than staying home?

When visiting parks, its seems pretty easy to maintain "social distancing" or just avoiding any situations with big crowds.

Staying nights in the van, there is no exposure.

We could hit restaurants when they are not busy and sit in the table in the corner and use hand sanitizer.

We can avoid traveling to "hot spot" areas. The Yukon has zero (known) cases so far :)

I'm not interested in exposing us to unnecessary risks just to do a van trip, but also don't want to stay home and go stir-crazy if there is not a good reason to do so -- is there?

Seems like airplanes and cruise ships present much more risky scenarios that are hard to take precautions for.

What am I missing?

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,560 Posts
The factor I am most concerned about is the oft repeated phrase “at risk are those with compromised health and the aged” I’m not concerned about the former being in good health (according to my doctor) but the second is problematic as they are defining the “aged” as those over....... wait for it.......... 60. What! - 60? That is aged? CRAP

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
@MsNomer
ref: WHO and CDC
While we are still learning about how COVID-2019 affects people, older persons and persons with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease, cancer or diabetes) appear to develop serious illness more often than others.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The images of veritable 'ghost towns' in affected areas are unprecedented so we don't know what we're really facing here as this progresses, or what will be available when we travel. It's not anywhere near that bad near me yet but the country has already been seeded and respected health professionals say it's definitely going to get worse, a lot worse. They're very concerned about hospitals being overwhelmed. That's about as serious as anything I've heard yet.

How bad it actually gets we can't say but at some point in our travels we may find that restaurants and many stores are just not open. Then what do we do, head to the woods for roots and grubs? That may have been interesting when I was 20 but heading into my late 60's not so much. Staying home I may be bored but at least I can have a decent supply of food, water, clean rest rooms, and a hardened shelter. To me at least, the potential for extreme inconvenience, even serious hardship, seems too great for extended travel right now. Plus there's the potentially higher risk of infection I might be driving into. If I get desperate for camping I can sleep in the van in my driveway.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The factor I am most concerned about is the oft repeated phrase “at risk are those with compromised health and the aged” I’m not concerned about the former being in good health (according to my doctor) but the second is problematic as they are defining the “aged” as those over....... wait for it.......... 60. What! - 60? That is aged? CRAP
Never thought I was "elderly" but... I guess I am!

What a great time to be "elderly"...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hopefully Zombies will wait for a later outbreak.

Another thing occurred to me aside from the possible hardship...if I do get sick on the road, what then? Seek help in a strange town, self-quarantine in my van out in the woods?

Removed last paragraph, have seen too many disaster movies.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
158 Posts
Self quarantine in a van for two weeks. My partner work kill me the second day. Note, better get that TV hooked up and streaming.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If it worries you just stay home. But that is not a guaranty you won't catch it. Wash your hands and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
8,560 Posts
Ed,
Elderly is an endearing term but they are saying “AGED” and that is a pejorative.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
There’s a big difference between "old" and "older." We are "older"

We are considering foregoing the backpacking paraphernalia for hiking the bottom of the Grand Canyon and using the freed-up space for extra food and supplies. OTOH, without foreign visitors, crowds at GC could be pretty sparse—if they don’t close it. Getting ill at the bottom is not a pleasant thought, though. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
After sleeping on all this I wouldn't say I expect to get sick but that my chances are pretty good no matter where I am, > 50%? Even though I'm in good shape with no known underlying issues and on no medications, don't think I'd want to be self-quarantined in the van alone, or leave my wife home alone since she doesn't like to travel anymore.

At this point I'm planning the best way to ride it out here at home and be as prepared as possible should one or both of us get sick. It's not a matter of fear or panic at all, very calm, but I'm not going to take unnecessary chances at a time like this. YMMV

An article on how the infection starts and progresses.

1 - 20 of 465 Posts