Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our converted 2014 diesel is up for sale! We haven't had as many opportunities to explore the US as we hoped, and our need for adventure recently pushed us into planning a move to the Netherlands!

The van only has 50,400 miles, throw in 1,050W of solar and 600Ah of lithium and it's ready to go anywhere! The battery setup may seem like overkill, but living in the deep south we needed air conditioning! We can run the AC or dehumidifier and still use the induction burner or toaster oven without worrying about running out of juice

The van can be found on eBay here, but heres a quick list of features and a few photos.

$50,000 or best offer

ELECTRICAL
  • (3) 350 Watt solar panels, maximizing every inch of roof space
  • residential solar rail system mounted directly to the factory roof rack mounts
  • (6) 100Ah Battle Born lithium batteries
  • Victron Energy 150/85 MPPT solar charge controller
  • Samlex 2000 Watt inverter
  • Battery Doctor battery isolator (house batteries charge from the alternator while driving)
  • High-efficiency LED lighting (dimmable)
  • High-efficiency residential air conditioner. Uses only 680 Watts on high!
  • LED reading lights
  • MaxxAir deluxe fan
CONSTRUCTION
  • sound deadening mat used throughout to minimize road noise
  • 1" foam board insulation throughout
  • Reflectix insulation used with a 1/2" air gap to provide a vapor barrier and additional insulation
  • CR Lawrence windows on the rear doors
  • CR Lawrence windows on the sides of the RV, both sides tilt for ventilation
  • custom cabinets, 1/2" cabinet grade burch to save weight
  • cedar ceiling
  • 3/4" plywood subfloor
  • residential vinyl plank flooring, pet resistant
  • swiveling driver and passenger seats
  • Manual kitchen sink (i.e. no 12v pump). The faucet is fed from a pressurized 5 gallon tank under the stainless steel sink, and it drains into a removable 5 gallon tank. Fill up on water and empty the tank anywhere!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it!

I hope we'll be able to get back into van life again in the future, but we're really excited to start a new adventure in Europe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a few great questions related to how the solar panels are attached to the roof. eBay limited me to only 12 pictures so here's a few close-ups!

From above you can see the bolts that lock the panels down to the rail system. The bolts tighten down and grab into both the inside of the rail and the solar panel frame.

From the side you can see how the rail secures to the roof. The horizontal bracket that sits against the roof is the standard mounting bracket that slides over the factory mounting points. It is bolted onto the L-bracket that comes with the rail system. The L-bracket has locking bolts that slide into the rail and lock in with ridges that bite into the aluminum.

It's likely overkill for an RV solar mount but I just wasn't comfortable with many of the other solutions I had come across. This design really let me maximize the size of panels used without adding any additional height beyond what the MaxxAir fan takes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photos of the build can be found here. We stopped documenting around the time we got to wall coverings and finish work, but these give a great idea of what's behind the walls.

For what you can't see in the insulation, Reflectix was glued to the back of each piece of foam board. 1/2" foam board spacers were also used in between the sheet metal and the 1" foam to give an air gap for the Reflectix to work properly. Before covering the walls we also filled all the tunnels with loose insulation and used foil tape to seal any gaps to create a good vapor barrier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts