Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I want to use the courtesy light feed in the upfitter panel to turn on some additional lights in the cargo area when the drivers or passengers door is open.
The document for the panel says "POWER SUPPLY + FOR TIMED CEILING LIGHT 15' WITH KEY OFF (pmax 20 watt at 12 v)"
Not thinking, I plugged my 12 volt test light there and left it for 10 min
The light came on when I opened the passenger door and stayed on.
Did I do something wrong?
When I saw 20 watts I mistakenly thought 20 amps :(. I'm not sure how many watts my test light is.
Now the circuit is live all the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all,
I want to use the courtesy light feed in the upfitter panel to turn on some additional lights in the cargo area when the drivers or passengers door is open.
The document for the panel says "POWER SUPPLY + FOR TIMED CEILING LIGHT 15' WITH KEY OFF (pmax 20 watt at 12 v)"
Not thinking, I plugged my 12 volt test light there and left it for 10 min
The light came on when I opened the passenger door and stayed on.
Did I do something wrong?
When I saw 20 watts I mistakenly thought 20 amps :(. I'm not sure how many watts my test light is.
Now the circuit is live all the time.
Update:
The circuit seems like it has returned to normal now.
However since it is max 20 watts, do I have to use a to control my new lights relay?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried again with a 1 watt led and the same thing happened.
The circuit stays live with all doors closed and also after disconnecting the light

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have no experience with that upfitter connection. Do you mean it stays on and never goes off? Or does it go off after 15 minutes (15')?

I moved the rear-door dome light down into the garage and find that one light is usually enough. I also keep a flashlight in the garage for the rare times I need more light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does stay on for 15 minutes, then it shuts off.
I want to add some ceiling lights that will come on when any door is opened, and turn off when the door is closed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been testing all of the circuits at the upfitter panel.
The pdf from Ram says that terminal 1 is not used. But mine is used as a courtesy light feed when the rear door opens.
I have to wait 15 minutes before I can check another door. I'll post the results as I get them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked terminal 1 again and it is energized for 15 minutes when ANY door is opened.
Next I will check terminal 7 when a rear door is opened

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it seems that I get the exact same results from terminal 7 as I get from terminal 1. Open any door and the terminal stays energized for 15 min.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
I just did this today but I wired an LED into the interior lights. There are 3 wires - black (ground) red (powner) and white/green (On when any door opens/off when closed) I simply connected the pos lead of the LED to the red wire and the ground lead to the white/green and it works just as you want. I did it right at the interior light connection at The back of the sliding door. I didn’t use anything at the upfitter connection. The light comes on when any door is opened and it stays on for about 15 mins max or until the door(s) are closed at which time it dims to off. Open the door, on, close the door off in a few seconds.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
I can post a photo in the morning if you like. It was very easy to do (once I figured out how it worked which wasn’t easy). I only connected one LED puck light tho and disconnected the factory light (it ended up in the upper cabinet). I put the new LED in the center of the slider.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been testing all of the circuits at the upfitter panel.
The pdf from Ram says that terminal 1 is not used. But mine is used as a courtesy light feed when the rear door opens.
I have to wait 15 minutes before I can check another door. I'll post the results as I get them.
Terminal 1 should be empty. Make sure you use the flat sides of the female pin ports and the missing pin to properly index the connector you are seeing versus the diagram from Ram of the pin numbering. As an example, my aux connector is installed upside down from the Ram diagram. If it looks like this, it is upside down:

7DCCE567-C037-429A-80C2-ADB1D5F3F5EB.jpeg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine (2019) has location 1 loaded.

Terminal 1 should be empty. Make sure you use the flat sides of the female pin ports and the missing pin to properly index the connector you are seeing versus the diagram from Ram of the pin numbering. As an example, my aux connector is installed upside down from the Ram diagram. If it looks like this, it is upside down:

View attachment 63535
Interestingly, yours has the fuse panel, upfitter connectors, and the 70 amp feed. Mine has only the upfitter connectors and the 70 amp feed -- no fuse panel.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
There are 3 wires - black (ground) red (powner) and white/green (On when any door opens/off when closed) I simply connected the pos lead of the LED to the red wire and the ground lead to the white/green and it works just as you want. I did it right at the interior light connection at The back of the sliding door
I came to the same conclusion and did the same. However, there is always 7v being pulled to the green/white wire, so my LED test strip remained dimly lit or flickered.
I decided to wire my main house LED strip to the house batteries and move one of the factory courtesy lights to over the slider.
Don't feel like playing with resistors and whatnot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I thought was was alot smarter than this lol.
I think I finally understand the circuit.
The red will stay energized for 15 minutes after a rear door is opened. The ground is always grounded.
The green/white provides a ground as long g as a tear door is opened.
So now I have to rethink my plan.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Robby... yep, the light is turned on by grounding it, not by providing 12V. The factory switch on the cargo light lets you ground always = light stays on, or ground on door open = light on with door. The process of the 15 minute timeout is controllled by the van's computer and it drops the 12V+ (red) after a time delay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts