Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doubt I will go for this but posting for those looking at estimated CRL window installation costs.

Although I am quite capable of installing my CRL behind the driver window, I found a local reputable, well established van conversion company to quote me in just case.

Mind you it's one window not a few so I expect cost to be higher for one.

Labor is $240, $120/hr x 2 hours. Must leave van for the day. $600 if they buy the window. This seems high as I can't see a pro taking two hours on a simple glue on single pane unit.

I will install my one CRL window myself, not due to cost but because I know I will do a better job. Too often I watch paid "experts" do inferior work. Worse, I have experienced future failures due to a carelessness or incompetence. Hopefully others have fared better.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,026 Posts
It is nice to have a reference point, so thanks for sharing. To my mind, if they quoted 2 hours, that means they think they can do it in 45 minutes. If you don't factor in some contingency, you could find yourself over committed and under paid.

I just put in two Eurovision windows. Working by myself, each one took maybe 3-4 hours working at a leisurely pace. I'm methodical. The second one wasn't really any faster than the first one because I had done so much planning I didn't have any surprises. So, 2 hours quoted sounds right to me.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,650 Posts
Labor is $240, $120/hr x 2 hours. Must leave van for the day. $600 if they buy the window. This seems high as I can't see a pro taking two hours on a simple glue on single pane unit.
A few thoughts...

1) there are two types of CRL windows. If there is metal there now, you install a window with a clamping ring so there is no glue involved. If there is a window there now, it's glued on, and the replacement is also glued on.... for example, the factory rear door windows and factory slider door window are glued on.

2) I was quoted about the same price before I decided to go all windows and do it myself... I think I did a better job!

3) If you buy from a CRL distributor, you can save a lot by picking up the window(s) at a CRL distribution warehouse. They are spread out across the country. On one window, I saved about $180 in shipping! DKHardware.com did that for me... I thought I was going to a DKHardware warehouse... turned out to be a CRL Distribution center.

4) If you have a 2014, the factory tinted windows are a lighter, greener tint than the CRL windows.

5) I believe the factory glass for the side back window (from the slider back to the back corner, 159WB) on each side is in two pieces... the CRL version is one piece, about 7' long!

Go forth and make big holes in your van! :D:D:D:D

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent information Eddie .... thank you.

Van will be here early to mid March, a 2018. It comes with rear door and slider solid fixed windows.
Factory did not offer behind driver window so I need to add that one.

So I will need to clamp it. I thought it was glued, no problem.
I believe we have a CRL warehouse in southern California so I might end up picking it up.

A seven foot window would be problematic as I always work alone, thank God that's not the case here.
In cases like that I build support structure(s), jigs or specialized scaffolds.

Thanks again for great advise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I looked at a NO Window van first, quote for all CRL vented windows installed was $6k

·
Registered
763 Posts
4) If you have a 2014, the factory tinted windows are a lighter, greener tint than the CRL windows.
Not always - seems rentals & fleet orders defaulted to normal glass, as did many Canadian orders, IIRC.

My 2014 window wagon has all black-out privacy glass behind the cab and was produced for SW USA Region, I've seen window wagons with normal windshield color glass throughout... Just part of the order code bundles used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts