Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to buy a new PM 159 this year for a camper conversion (self-build) and am wondering what people's thoughts are on potential pricing from dealers. With the economy potentially taking a big hit and production at the Big Three automakers coming to a halt as of now, what do you expect? Will the cease in production drive up prices, or will the economic hit cause people to stop buying new and drive prices down?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It will also depend on how bad this situation actually gets or how long it actually lasts.
Which at this early stage, is also all speculation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd have to be an economist to take a worthwhile guess at that and even then, it would still only be an educated guess.
True, but we have had shocks like this in the past.....curious what happened after 9-11 & the 2008 financial crash?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ha!
I couldn't tell ya.
I was flat broke when that happened.
I wasn't in the market for anything, so I had no idea what the market was doing.
I'm curious to see how this plays out too.
It would be nice if you could get a screamin deal on a new van

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm hoping to buy a new PM 159 this year for a camper conversion (self-build) and am wondering what people's thoughts are on potential pricing from dealers. With the economy potentially taking a big hit and production at the Big Three automakers coming to a halt as of now, what do you expect? Will the cease in production drive up prices, or will the economic hit cause people to stop buying new and drive prices down?

Thoughts?
I heard that Ford was offering 90 days differment on first payment and Chevy was offering 0% interest on new trucks. If Ram did the 0% I'd be in. Until that happens I just have to wait out this storm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
FCA is running ads for 0% interest for qualified buyers for 83 months, and no payments for 90 days. Maybe a 2019? Doesn't seem to apply to used PMs (I'm looking to save $$ and buy a 2017-18 136" HT)

·
Registered
99 Posts
True, production is temporarily halted and dealers will likely slow or stop their new orders due to demand destruction and credit tightening. This will tighten supply over time, and in an eventual economic recovery, the demand can increase faster than the supply chain can resume production, leading to scarcity and poor deals for us buyers. That’s in the longer term.

Short and intermediate term, however, are different. Demand seemingly disappeared overnight, while the supply of vans sitting at dealerships has not.

So if you are looking for something ubiquitous (e.g., white) or are otherwise flexible, I think prices will continue to fall as you wait. Leases of these vans will also not be renewed, so the supply of late model comparables will absorb some of the demand for your new white van, further contributing to the buyers market.

Conversely, if you are looking for something with class and style (e.g., gray :)), the supply is already tight and will rebound even slower, so you might as well snatch it up before someone else does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts