Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cooling air duct

I have seen some photos of the pmc engine and in some pictures there is a air duct from the radiator over to the left side belt area as you look at it, mine does not have this wanted to know if yours does and is that a earlier or later that this was added I have a 2015 one thing I know is there is a lot of heat in this area in summer weather driving.
wondering if this should be added to my van.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2017 is lacking that duct as well. I was unaware of the item in the photo but I had noticed the cutout & mount points above the radiator. Based upon what I've gleaned from online replacement parts diagrams it appears that some of the early PMCs made had a different engine air intake design. The duct in the photo routes to the air cleaner assembly. Later models draw air from the right fender area instead of from above the radiator. It appears that by moving the air intake to the side allowed for a re-route of some fluid lines (A/C &/or steering) further away from the exhaust manifold compared to the original.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The air intake is ducted for a couple of reasons. The colder the air is that's drawn into the manifold, the more efficient the engine can burn the gasoline (it makes more power!). The other is for silencing intake noise. I don't know the routing or amount of ductwork in mine, I only know when I get it revving it sounds great for a NA 4 cylinder engine. The transmission has a lot to do with it also. If it doesn't downshift fast enough, it'll just bog. It seems to me after 3500 miles with the truck, as long as it transmission isn't in D, shifts are much quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts