Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Silver Mettalic 2019 3500 high roof ext.
16 Posts
Hey guys I posted a couple of weeks ago letting you know that I had taken mine in for the shifter cable recall, replace the emergency flasher unit in the dash, and replace the window control unit in the driver side door which we're not functioning, an oil change, tire rotation and do something about the goddamn coolant smell. I had made that appointment a month in advance and told them they could have it for 3 days, (I'm in my full time and motel rooms aren't cheap out here), and that if I needed to bring it back well that's the way it was going to have to be. Upon inspection an oil leak was found in the timing belt cover, (which was repaired under warranty), but the amount of labor needed to fix that problem cut into the time that was allotted for the rest of my repairs. So so 3 days later I had gotten an oil change , a tire rotation , the gasket for the timing belt cover was replaced and some hoses and the cooling system and my thermostat replaced. I would like to say that it seems to have remedied the coolant smell at least I haven't noticed it lately. A Couple days ago I took it back to have the window control unit replaced, the emergency flasher control replaced and the factoryrecall finally performed. They managed to get it all done in one day and I was extremely grateful to them. Until they asked me to wait up front for my van to be brought to me,and then left me sitting there for almost 30 minutes before I went back in and asked if it would be okay if I could have my van. I couldn't find the girl that handed me my paperwork and said she would take care of that for me but a nice guy told me he was sorry and he would take care of it. I couldn't find him when I went back in again to tell them that I've been waiting another 15 minutes and nobody had came up with my van. Eventually they were kind enough to let me have it.
So the next day I decided to go take a walk down on the beach too Purge myself of any dealership karma I may have on me and I'll be God damned that when I went to leave my parking bake would not release. Luckily for my van and I we were only a mile from the dealership where the repairs were done....which did me actually no good because they were of no help when I called them looking for assistance LOL. I managed to jiggle this and jiggle that to get it released and thought that must of been some sort of quirk or fluke.
I figured I'd update this post since I'm stuck in my parents driveway right now with the parking brake frozen and I'm just taking a little break before I attend to it because I'm a little angry. I try not to do anything important when I'm angry anymore it has been quite expensive for me. Best mechanic I've met this year is you guys and your posts thank you very much.
I need to go read your guy's post about your stuck emergency brakes so I don't have to take it back to the dealership

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
Unless you gave a diesel, never use the parking brake!

·
Registered
151 Posts
So interesting story - my 2019 3500 non ext had no coolant leak...

...until one rainy day. I was having a good time aiming for all the deep puddles in the street and marveling at how well the van (and ko2's) performed in the wet puddly conditions. Basically, its the same as driving on a sunny dry day.

BUT THEN the engine temp light quickly flashed on and I could smell coolant. I was almost home, so when I got into the driveway and popped the hood there was visible coolant in many places on top of the engine transmission.

Did driving through the puddles somehow over work the engine and make it spew coolant from somewhere under pressure?

I cleaned it up and topped it off and have never had a problem since.

Maybe its a clue to the coolant issue?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fred, the way she described it, I believe it's hose #2 on diagram HERE except mine is a 2019

I checked today and, for the first time since I bought the PM, it is holding coolant at top level.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fred,
Sorry it took this long for me to figure out: just check the service ticket DOH! o_O

073030P1 Hose, radiator upper/inlet - Pressure test & replace 3.2
52014853AC Hose-Heater Supply

'Found leak coming from the hose heading to the heater core replaced hose and re-pressure tested and found no leak'

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Update: 28,000 miles
I am now on my third radiator all replaced under warranty and tonight smelled coolant again...
Leaky cowl replaced with updated design according to the service guy but I think iit still leaks.
Touchscreen radio not working to touch, replaced.
Mirrors vibrating have been replaced.
Sliding door cable broke door would not shut, replaced.
Parking brake cables hanging up and dragging, they lubed them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello, people!
At last I have time to share my experience with dealership and leaking problem.
When I was talking with the service manager, I told him about leaking problem, showed him the exact place where the fluid is gathering.

Also had the order for oil change and tire rotation.
After a while, he said that all job was done, the problem was solved. I asked him what was the problem, he said that the leaking was from power steering fluid and the mechanic tightened the bold and its ok now! I said I want to see the exact bolt he tightened. After that the manager changed his tone and said I need to wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After few hours the mechanic showed me the place the bolt was located and it was at the left side and on the bottom of the engine compartment. I told the mechanic it is not the leaking I was concern. I showed him the place where the fluid is gathering. He sain that the manager did not showed him or told him that the fluid was gathering on the transmission.
So, I waisted the whole day at the dealership! The leaking is still the problem:

They did something with coolant, so the expansion tank is all pink:

After oil change the left side of the engine is in oil:

They act like you are idiot. Very unprofessional!
Posting the paperwork with the dealership name:

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
Service managers are usually the worst in my experience. They know it all & have no interest in your thoughts at all!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
On one of my dealership warranty visits, I received a call from the service manager telling me I needed all new brake pads and rotors on my van. I said really! He went on to tell me I had only 1/32" pad left. Cost was around $1800 I said no thanks I will do the brakes myself when I get the van back home.. and we hung up. Less than a minute later my phone rings and it's the service manager again, he says "Hey Mark, you know that conversation we just had, yes, ok just forget that ever happened I had the wrong paperwork in front of me"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Service managers are usually the worst in my experience. They know it all & have no interest in your thoughts at all!
There is not only service manager is messing around. The mechanic didn’t want to find the leaking source. And he poured the engine oil around the oil filling neck.
Thats just an attitude to the customers. Hard to find a good dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2019 Pacifica and 2018 Promaster, both with this engine and both with coolant smells. The pacifica smells but the level never seems to change.

The promaster seems to be worse until the coolant level gets to right at the low mark. I believe the overflow system is too small and it loses coolant until it gets to the right capacity. But that is just speculation, once mine gets to the low mark the level never drops any further. Its almost like the low mark should really by the high mark.
Same here , only smell coolant when at max level.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts