Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update on my ongoing coolant smell/leak that I've had since around 5000 miles. My Promaster currently has 12,000 miles and is at my dealer for warranty service work including the following:
1. Leaking water onto the engine at the center seam on the cowl. Dealer say this is normal.
2. Driver side mirror glass flutters around above 50 mph. Dealer replaced the whole mirror we will see if it's fixed. Pass side is fine...
3. Coolant smell and or leak, I have a constant coolant smell near the nose and the bottle drops slowly over a month. Dealer says there are no leaks, and no pressure loss in the system.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Welcome to Promaster ownership. ;) I can't find a leak or evidence of a leak, yet the smell is there. I'm not super mechanical, but even had my shop take a look while getting an oil change and they didn't notice anything either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told the dealer to put another tech on it and check it again. In a sealed system the coolant level in the bottle shouldn't drop. It drops slowly over a month so that means it's going somewhere! It's either burning it internally but I never smell coolant in the exhaust, or the plastic radiator has a hairline crack and it's steaming out? You can clearly smell coolant when standing in front of my van after it's running for awhile. Never see any coolant leaks or drips anywhere...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
A poster reported that the hose to thermostat connection was weeping on him, had residue around the leak area.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I brought the Promaster in for a coolant leak check as well.
Dealer said the van passed the pressure check, no leak.
But I smell it outside near the front, sometimes pretty strong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My son swears he can smell coolant outside in front of mine. But I don't. And the fluid level is very stable in the tank. I'll just leave it be.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I caught, pure luck, that in really cold weather the lower hose would allow seepage at engine block, noticed the starter oozing umnn starter fluid, err... no... coolant.. .

I doubled the clamps, left OEM crimped clamp(s) on and sistered in worm gear style beside them and zero problems since.. .

·
Registered
445 Posts
It might be hard to see but try looking up from the passenger side. Remove the splash shield down there so you can see. The leak is probably up high that's why the coolant level only goes down a certain amount. And why you probably don't see and drips. Look for a pinkish residue at your hose clamps. I also had my thermostat housing blow apart on the hwy, lol maybe a separate issue. I'd post a pic but I'm over my limit😤

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, dealer has had my van since Monday the 20th. Called me Friday afternoon and said they cant find the leak? and that he wants to keep my van til Tuesday because he is going to put a new radiator in hoping that solves the problem? Hopefully I will get my van back on Tuesday and all is fine. I'll ask him what that secret button is for when I pick it up.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Not the diesel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a '17 136" with just over 16k on it and took it into the dealer for the coolant issue as well. They had it for a week, drove it around for about 150 miles (didn't replace the gas mind you), and then said that they couldn't find anything wrong. They did a leakdown test, compression test, and found nothing yet it looses coolant at about an entire reseviour (max to min) in 500 miles. They told me if it happens again to just bring it in to top it off, does that sound like a solid fix???
Then the service writer tells me that there is a vent (in a closed system) to allow pressure out and thats where the smell comes from.
Either it's the worst coolant system design ever to smell the coolant, or it just simply leaks and they can't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
I am surprised that the coolant leak problem is still around 5 years later. Mine ( an early 2014) had a leaking radiator, along with the noisy front brakes and suspension bushings. I would have taught that FCA would have fixed these common issues by now.

Other than that, I haven't had any other problems in 5 years, but another common problem that seams to appear with time are wires that break at the door hinges.

Could be worst. :)

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Juve you have a problem and it may be your dealer. Your system needs a fix and your dealer is not helping. Call Ram customer. assist 866-726-4636 and try to get them involved.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
...cut... looses coolant at about an entire reseviour (max to min) in 500 miles. ...cut...
Leave it at min and see if it stays there.

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
No mater how much coolant I put in my ‘14 gas (with the FCA fix) it always goes down to the MIN point and stays there. I’ve given up adding anything as it never overheats. We had a good morning a few days ago so I had the heat on and I could slightly smell coolant until I shut the heater off. I may have leak starting in my heater core but I’ve never smelled it before and other than the past few days I’ve used the heater extensively so time will tell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
superdot09
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing