Ram Promaster Forum banner

Coolant leak.... again... list for dealer

2212 9
So, my engine light came on today, I believe its the coolant level. Ive been researching this for months. Took in to the dealer about 4 months ago. Level keeps dropping... you know the story.

This time Im going in with a list of possible things to check. Im including a PDF of the list.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks guys - Scott

Also posting this on the promoter owners facebook page

Attachments

Reactions: MtBiker
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
935 Posts
My van has smelled of coolant since almost day one. I have asked them to check for leaks at every oil change, 2 so far and going in soon.
I'll go thru your list and check all the items I can before it headed back to dealer.
thank you for compiling this.

·
Registered
2020-159 HR Camper Conversion
19 Posts
Thank you for compiling this list. My 2020 ordered from the factory reeks of coolant from day 1 (as soon as it is hot). I had it delivered to me 5 weeks ago from the dealership where I ordered it (400 miles away). I smelled it when they were backing it off the trailer. I don’t believe I would have driven it off the lot but I did not have that option. I’ve searched all of the possible spots you mentioned, and it smells like its coming from upper/lower intake manifold region (oil cooler?). I haven’t taken it to a dealership because of lockdown due to military restrictions, and to tell you the truth, I’m dreading the idea of someone digging into an engine with 50 miles on it. I’ve spent plenty of time researching here and on other forums where the Pentastar is used and there is so much discussion about these engines and coolant smell. I haven’t driven it enough to notice if I’m losing coolant. Any advice? Are there any Promasters that don’t smell of coolant?

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 2500 High Top 159” wb
5 Posts
So, my engine light came on today, I believe its the coolant level. Ive been researching this for months. Took in to the dealer about 4 months ago. Level keeps dropping... you know the story.

This time Im going in with a list of possible things to check. Im including a PDF of the list.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks guys - Scott

Update—-I went to the dealer. They said they couldn’t find a leak. They said that they did a pressure test on the coolant system but found nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Did I miss anything?

Thanks guys - Scott

Mine was the plastic radiator tank where it meets the aluminum radiator. I drained it, dried it out, and smeared it with 2 coats of JB Weld. That was about 60,000 mi ago. It hasn't lost a drop.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Are there any Promasters that don’t smell of coolant?
Ours has never smelled or leaked. I would bet most don't, but that doesn't help your situation.

It's also worth mentioning for those new here that it's also perfectly normal for the coolant level to stay near (+/-) the MIN mark, and to mysteriously return to that sweet spot even after adding coolant. As long as you don't smell coolant, and it doesn't drop below its sweet spot, it's not leaking.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,227 Posts
Ours has never smelled or leaked. I would bet most don't, but that doesn't help your situation.

It's also worth mentioning for those new here that it's also perfectly normal for the coolant level to stay near (+/-) the MIN mark, and to mysteriously return to that sweet spot even after adding coolant. As long as you don't smell coolant, and it doesn't drop below its sweet spot, it's not leaking.
Where is the added coolant going?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Where is the added coolant going?
I assume it vents out the pressure-relief cap as coolant volume expands when it gets hot. It's probably better to think of the MIN-MAX marks as COLD-HOT (+/-). Mine rises from just below MIN to somewhere closer to MAX when hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts