Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Instant Pot Chili

The first ingredient is a pound of hamburger browned and drained. Do this at home or whenever it is convenient to cook outside, then store in the fridge till needed.

Add:

1 15oz can black beans (do not drain)
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 cup diced onion (just throw the whole thing in)
1 to 3 Tablespoons chili powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Timing is loose. I've found 12 minutes HP to be plenty.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Jandyweb,
Before committing to propane I’d suggest you try a butane double cooktop as it is safer, better burning, more controllable, moveable and cheap to buy and to run. It’s canisters are recyclable, available for a great price in Costco or Sam’s and last several days even cooking three meals a day.
See:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CAMPLUX-ENJOY-OUTDOOR-LIFE-Stainless/dp/B0799FP3DW/ref=pd_sbs_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0799FP3DW&pd_rd_r=YH7MDVRNTGSWA7BX8R27&pd_rd_w=i8bIl&pd_rd_wg=gCZ9X&psc=1&refRID=YH7MDVRNTGSWA7BX8R27&dpID=51H-LJ4-u1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail[/ame]

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Cooking Inside

I said I wouldn't fry inside because I didn't want the cooking odors, etc., but today, the mosquitoes gathered for their own big feast. I found a way around my rule.

The menu was pork chops and onions. The apparatus was an induction burner with 8" skillet. I was not in a hurry. The solution: Cover the skillet with a paper plate so that no steam escapes. When the skillet needs tending (turn onions, add meat, turn meat), turn off the burner and let the skillet cool a bit before lifting the plate. The pork turned out particularly moist with a sweet brown glaze.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Cooking for Five

Our 136" is most definitely a 2-person vehicle, but for the last several days, we cooked for five--three family members joined us in their tents at a high-altitude, no-hookup campground. Some reflections:

Our 200Ah batteries could handle the 1000W 6-quart Instant Pot just fine. Any additional energy usage over the 700W 3-quart pot was negligible--it just heated up faster. Even when we didn't get enough solar to fully recharge, we never dipped below 67%, our all-time minimum.

Five people can eat spaghetti in our van in reasonable comfort when a cold wind is blowing outside. I wouldna thunk it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Added to this thread for those who may have the space. A while back I bought a Blackstone griddle that has been the center of a lot of cooking for me. It isn't too big, but...

I'm trying to design a space to store this in the van. I bought it for home use, but I'm addicted! It makes burgers that are better than any done on a BBQ grill! (think smashburgers). It cooks almost anything quickly and easily. They make a 17" version but this double burner unit is 22" from HSN (on sale $119).

It's about 24" wide x 18" deep x 11" high.

Figured I would add it to the cooking thread with my recommendation to BUY ONE! they are GREAT!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wonder how well that compares to my Griddler for burgers. I've suggested to Cusinart that they need to make a skillet for the Griddler, but so far, beyond the standard response message, nothing has come of it. I've thought of trying to find somebody to design & 3D print a wax version and do a lost-wax cast iron casting....

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Safeway Signature Entrées

These are usually near the deli in a refrigerated case, a vacuum-packed pouch in a standard plastic-wrapped styrofoam tray. Costs about $9-10, 4 servings.

We have tried pot roast and pulled pork, both of which are excellent. I’ve also seen pork ribs. This is plain cooking like home-cooked. No artificially thickened glue masquerading as gravy. No overt seasoning in the pot roast. Pulled pork has nice BBQ.

Throw away the outer tray and toss the vacuum pack in the fridge. It is sturdy and will keep for a while. To open, slit the flat side. Put half in a container for later. Put the other half in your bowls and microwave. Zero mess.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Can I put it in a nonstick frypan with a cover and heat slowly, sort of a home made hot pot?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Of course you can, but it’s more work and mess. :) It's like you have cooked a pot roast (veggies separate) or pulled pork and stored the leftover meat/gravy in the fridge. Now you just need to reheat and serve. This is one task where the MW shines.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
These are usually near the deli in a refrigerated case, a vacuum-packed pouch in a standard plastic-wrapped styrofoam tray. Costs about $9-10, 4 servings.

We have tried pot roast and pulled pork, both of which are excellent. I’ve also seen pork ribs. This is plain cooking like home-cooked. No artificially thickened glue masquerading as gravy. No overt seasoning in the pot roast. Pulled pork has nice BBQ.

Throw away the outer tray and toss the vacuum pack in the fridge. It is sturdy and will keep for a while. To open, slit the flat side. Put half in a container for later. Put the other half in your bowls and microwave. Zero mess.
Can they be frozen and then, weeks later, thawed and heated in one step?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Ranch Dressing

I like to make my own. My container is a clean 8-ounce mayonnaise jar, which I have marked at the half-cup line with green tape. Add milk to the top of the tape, add a tablespoon of Hidden Valley mix, finish filling with mayonnaise. Screw on the lid and shake.

The bottom of the tape is the quarter cup line.

This particular size jar fits nicely in my Engel, so I have several. MrNomer prefers Thousand Island, which comes in awkward bottles with tall necks. He finds the 8-ounce size at dollar stores, which I can transfer to one of these jars.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love the IP so much it came out of the van and resides in my kitchen when not on the road. My favorite thing to cook and is perfect for those cold fall days on the road is split pea soup. I've tweaked the recipe and now it's perfect for the 3qt IP. Quick, easy and good for two meals for two people. (unless you're really hungry!) A fresh loaf a bread and you're in heaven!
Here's how I make it. (3Qt IP)
1 cup split peas (about half of the plastic bag it comes in)
1/2 onion, diced small (I usually use minced/dehydrated onions on the road)
1 table spoon of butter or olive oil
3 or 4 cups chicken broth. 3 makes it "spoon standing" thick, I usually do 3.5 to 4.
salt, 1 tsp (or less if you need to)
garlic powder 1/2 tsp
paprica 1/4 tsp
chille powder 1/4 tsp
Red pepper flakes to taste.

Sauté setting; Onions and butter till translucent (maybe 2 or 3 minutes)
Dump in everything else.
If using dehydrated onions, just dump everything in together (yes, still add the oil or butter) and skip the Sauté setting
Seal that sucker up and select 12 minutes on Pressure Mode.
Allow pressure to release naturally.
I like mine with a few turns of fresh cracked black pepper and a little grated cheddar cheese.
Enjoy!
This was the first thing we cooked in our new Instant Pot. Very yummy!

We got inpatient and didn't let it naturally release the pressure and had to do a few more minutes.

Before the 2nd cooking it used 200w and another 50w for the second cook.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts