Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not being handy but holding down jobs we paid Custom Coach Creations of Deland Florida, to build a camper. They were wonderful to deal with and totally into our peculiar quirks derived from years of living and traveling on a boat. The van purchase, conversion including all registration and state taxes amounted to $89,000 for a design to our specifications.
We discovered CCC by accident on RV Trader while checking one more commercially built compromise camper and figured we could have ours built for less than any of the name brands and so it was.
Our van is all electric with a 3000 Watt inverter 600 amp/hours of lithium,400 watts of solar, twin alternators and two induction burners, convection oven 110 volt fridge, with a few gizmos we allowed ourselves to be persuaded we needed like a cell signal booster, air conditioning (we live in the Keys so everywhere immediately north is hot) mood lighting and a television and an electric bed conversion.
The interior design includes our own peculiar desires which will probably not match yours but here goes. 35 gallons of water, and a raised rear platform which reduces headroom but which gives us three very deep storage tunnels in the rear, one on a slider for smaller items. We have pressure water at the sink but no cabin heater or water heater. For the shower we have a porta potti and a shower compartment with a hook to hang a solar shower. CCC thought we were crazy as they happily install pressure water and heating but we have discovered we prefer the versatility of a solar shower with water heated by the sun or on the stove and we didn't want any more plumbing than necessary. That Custom Coach Creations built this with no protest at all, indeed enthusiastically speaks to their superb customer service and good nature.
The front of the van is a copy of the Pleasureway FL design with front swivel seating with pop up tables. Unlike the TS version where the passenger seat swivels and your feet dangle ours has a custom slide out foot stool for our short legs.Plus we get the longer kitchen counter top. Photos of the van are in the link. They do not include the table on the standard leg between the couches which was installed at the last minute after we had a final design consultation! CCC really listened to us! They had offered us a Lagun table installation but we prefer the simple table on a pole as we don't need the table to swivel. They built it right in front of us setting the brackets exactly where we wanted them. Customer service second to none.

Gallery – Custom Coach Creations, Inc.

I hope our experience may help others like us fumbling between the designs and restrictions of commercially built interiors. CCC will build on any van anything you want to suit your budget. I like their work which is why I am posting here.
Best wishes
Michael and Layne
Cudjoe Key.

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
I’m not sure what to make of the above post. They have been identified as spammers by the forum software but they joined the forum 11 months ago. This is only their second post and they put it in the introductory forum for some reason. I’ve moved it to this forum but I have to admit it sounds like a paid advertisement so beware.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
390 Posts
How long will the air conditioner run on batteries and solar? Will it run most of the night if needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
The op posted this and disappeared so I suspect it’s really just an upfitter looking for free advertising. I hope I’m wrong but you never know it could be legit and that’s why I approved it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Looks legit to me, but what do I know.

How long will the air conditioner run on batteries and solar? Will it run most of the night if needed.
The 600 Amp-hour lithium battery capacity seems common amongst many major builders, and many claim it will power an 11,000 BTU/hr Power Saver overnight since it won’t run at 100% duty cycle.

If you can get ~ 7-kWh from batteries (even if 5.6 kWh at 80% depending on battery rating) it should run all night at 50% duty cycle assuming batteries start fully charged. Claims seem plausible to me. Would be good for owners to confirm.

I like their all-electric design. (y)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks legit to me, but what do I know.

The 600 Amp-hour lithium battery capacity seems common amongst many major builders, and many claim it will power an 11,000 BTU/hr Power Saver overnight since it won’t run at 100% duty cycle.

If you can get ~ 7-kWh from batteries (even if 5.6 kWh at 80% depending on battery rating) it should run all night at 50% duty cycle assuming batteries start fully charged. Claims seem plausible to me. Would be good for owners to confirm.

I like their all-electric design. (y)
I have a smaller AC and 600 AH battery and it can run all night, but what then?

The problem is there is no way to charge it back up if you do unless you run the engine all day or use shore power. I try to keep my depth of discharge under 50% because otherwise I can't get it charged back up for a while unless I plug in. If I can plug in then I don't need the battery. If I am running the engine then I don't need the AC as the dash AC works better.

The good news is I don't need to run the AC all night. I have a small area sectioned off and super insulated, so I usually just run the AC for a few hours in the evening to cool off.

The only way running the AC all night off the battery makes sense is if you are on the move each day and driving long enough to charge it. They have a second alternator so it can happen a lot faster than it can in mine.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If you go through all that effort/cost of an A/C and batteries why not just install a drop in high amp alternator?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I have a small area sectioned off and super insulated, so I usually just run the AC for a few hours in the evening to cool off.
Good idea.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Cherry nicely finished.....not sure what type flooring hope it's tile especially in the keys....$89000.....cough cough

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cherry nicely finished.....not sure what type flooring hope it's tile especially in the keys....$89000.....cough cough

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Based on what I've seen out there I would not pay that, but it isn't obscenely high either. If I was building one similar to sell I would probably charge that much, but I can't imagine not having hot water or a cabin heater for that price. Its funny, I wouldn't pay that but knowing the work involved I would charge that!

The electrical system alone has to be over 10,000 dollars in parts alone if decent components were used. Those second alternators are not cheap at all, nor are 600 AH lithium battery banks (I have one so I know).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
.....cut....

The electrical system alone has to be over 10,000 dollars in parts alone if decent components were used. Those second alternators are not cheap at all, nor are 600 AH lithium battery banks (I have one so I know).
OEM second alternators are much more affordable compared to aftermarket, so I expect in the future they will be a common part of these systems.

·
Registered
326 Posts
OEM second alternators are much more affordable compared to aftermarket, so I expect in the future they will be a common part of these systems.
I hope you are correct, it will be interesting to see, I definitely would have had one if it was an option on mine. However, since I have a 2018 with only 10,000 miles I don't see my next van for the forseable future. A factory second alternator would be fabulous.

I think the kits without skidplate are about 2200, and the skidplate about 700 that I have seen. I actually have the skidplate for a second alternator but not a second alternator because I though about one and decided I liked the protection aspect with or without a 2nd alternator.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ford dual alternator options are priced well under $1,000. RAM could match that.

It would be even better if second alternator was offered as a stand-alone unit dedicated to the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I screwed it up.
My name is Michael

I am not paid nor am I a Russian troll.
I joined the website to learn about Promasters
I made this post after I actually received my van and had something to say. No one contacted me personally to query me
but you post my remarks which I made as complete and informative as I could and in good faith. Perhaps i should have been one more
unhappy Promaster owner complaining, but I'm not. I wasn't brave enough to buy an early model as they are the ones with the problems.
I thought my experience might be useful to others but this degree of suspicion is really unnecessary.
I haven't been rude or impolite to anyone and I like my van for the thousand miles I have driven it.

There. Three posts and done. Sorry to have bothered you all. By all means remove all trace of me.

Its not a good idea to post all your personal info online so I’ve deleted it. It seems you do not understand how the internet and forums work. Sorry you’re upset but you only have yourself to blame for all this. (moderator)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry I screwed it up.
I think your post was not deleted and the benefit of the doubt given. I am not sure why that is upsetting.

I don't think you did anything wrong, I just think your post looks just like commercial posts that are seen all the time.

For every post like yours that is a legitimate visitor there are many others who come here, post about their promaster (the ones they are selling) and never participate.

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
You have been marked as a spammer by the company that the forum uses to control spam (Akismet) Akismet: Spam Protection for WordPress - Akismet. There is nothing I can do about it when someone is flagged other than approve or disapprove them. I sent you several messages but you never responded and as it read like a paid advertisement I included a disclaimer as such when I approved it even though you never replied to any of my messages. You should contact Akismet directly, yourself, to find out why you have been marked as a spammer as many, many websites use their service.

i get reports all day long about possicle spammers and the only thing I can make a judgment on is either the contents of the flagged post, the email address or ip number or the country code.

You're not alone, I get several notifications a week flagging possible spammers that may be false but turn out to be legitimat.

Sorry for the confusion but for your own peace of mind I would seriously suggest contacting Akismet so you don’t have this problem on other sites.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you go through all that effort/cost of an A/C and batteries why not just install a drop in high amp alternator?
I missed this before. I have a 2018 I bought brand new and do not want to change anything related to the running gear because I have a 75000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

This is also part of the reason I did not put in the second alternator after considering it. The only tie in with the factory equipment is the tap into the coolant lines for my water heater.

I am more likely to add a second alternator than change the factory alternator. I'd even consider mounting a generator if I needed it before changing the factory alternator. But I don't really feel I need either right now. I might upsize my battery to battery charging if I need it, but for now I am ok with 400 watts of solar and 30 amps of battery to battery charging. Plus the **** covid19 has the rig just sitting in my driveway, likely for the next 13 months based on my work and I have plenty of free shore power (I have a 16,000 watt solar system on my house that produces surplus power)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts