Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
774 Posts
Really neat design ! I've been working on a couple idea for that space but I know having screens above the dash line would dive me nuts.
I actually feel the opposite. I mounted my digital rear view on the dash and like it so much more there because it doesn’t obstruct my view at eye level at all.
Further, I REALLY like to have the digital rear view sitting right above the stock rear camera screen when backing up, as I use them both simultaneously.
Picture is taken from my eye level.
Vehicle Car Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
774 Posts
This is awesome. Mind sharing what brand and where you mounted the camera in the back? I've wanted something like this that can record and have a better rear veiew but have yet to pull the trigger.
Many of us have one like this, as it is almost imperative for good visibility behind and around you while driving, even if you have rear door windows.
Most of us got one like this from Amazon, but the offers vary and certain brands are available one day and gone the next. I’m on my 2nd camera (installed the first one in my mother’s mini van) and the new one, different brand, was pretty much exactly the same.
Here is a link to somebody’s installation. I didn’t document mine. There are several posts on an installation like this here on the forum.

I never installed my rear camera inside the black housing above the rear doors, I merely attached it to one of the 2 holding screws for the housing and run the wire through the door gasket.
Some prefer the camera above the license plate, I don’t, I want to see above the vehicles behind me.
The installation is very simple, just run the camera wire inside the van to the front. I have my digital mirror powered by the 12v outlet in the dash, but will eventually hard wire it with the optional hardwire kit. Not a priority for me right now.
As I said in my post, I did t have a stock rear view mirror, onto which most fasten the digital rearview, so I put it on the dash. It’s held up by a GPS clamshell holder which a silicon sticky pad and it hasn’t moved in over 2 years in the hot Southern California sun.
If you order a digital rear view/dash cam you probably need to order also a longer camera to mirror cable.
Here an example of one of those cameras from Amazon:
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: WOLFBOX G840S 12“ Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera,1296P Full HD Smart Rearview Mirror for Cars & Trucks, 1080P Front and Rear View Dual Cameras, Night Vision, Parking Assistance, Free 32GB Card & GPS : Electronics
Buy WOLFBOX G840S 12“ Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera,1296P Full HD Smart Rearview Mirror for Cars & Trucks, 1080P Front and Rear View Dual Cameras, Night Vision, Parking Assistance, Free 32GB Card & GPS: In-Mirror Video - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Good luck!
MM

Reactions: mckennachristo
1 - 2 of 2 Posts