Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts about installing two fans in the roof, one in rear and one in forward part of cargo section, instead of installing side windows, for air circulation.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have done the 2 fan approach on boats which works well when spray is flying at the sides requiring closed windows. Running one blowing in and the other out really moves air! Just one running, however, moves almost as much air. Assuming the standard type with the bug screen on the inside I have observed that running in the exhaust mode is quieter than when blowing air in. The reason is that air being exhausted goes straight through the screen vs air being blown in which hits the screen in a swirling motion coming off of the fan blades.

The 2 fan approach in a van might eliminate side windows permitting more insulation and enabling better stealth camping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your response. The fewer holes I have to punch through the van body, the better. I'm thinking maybe one fan and one vent to see how that works. That might move enough air. If not, I think I can install another fan exactly where the vent is. Your thinking about the insulation and stealth was exactly my line of thought. Thanks again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Any thoughts about installing two fans in the roof, one in rear and one in forward part of cargo section, instead of installing side windows, for air circulation.
That's exactly what I did. NO rear windows. Single Seitz awning widow in the sliding door. Works great for me, even in the rain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response; it's encouraging. Do those vent covers on your roof cause any noticeable noise when at speed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed two non-fan vents in the roof. One in the designated from area and one in the rear about three feet from the rear. So far they keep the inside quite comfortable... but I don't spend any time in hot climates..
I might install a cool air intake on the floor next spring for air movement...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for your response; it's encouraging. Do those vent covers on your roof cause any noticeable noise when at speed?
Not that I notice, but remember that the PM isn't whisper quiet even without fans or vents in the roof. I used MaxxAir fans and those covers can be open or closed when moving and also in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
That's exactly what I did. NO rear windows. Single Seitz awning widow in the sliding door. Works great for me, even in the rain.
Steve can you tell us about your solar panels that are visible in the photo? Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My two vents didnt change the sound inside at any speed. They are the typical cheap RV crank open roof vents... As far as the cold air intake, with the van closed up, obviously the heat would rise up and out much quicker if it had a place to draw air from. I would simply install a closeable vent on the floor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all, I've got a question on the topic of fans. I installed my Maxxair fan this weekend only to realize afterwards that the locking mechanism for the vent lid does not work. (Even more annoying is that I have reason to beleive that someone else returned it, likely b/c of the broken locking mechanism, and it just got placed back into a box and sold again) Anyhow it was completely installed before I realized all this. For those of you who have had more opportunity to use your fans - how important would you say the ability to lock the lid is? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of returning and installing again or how much of a discount I should lobby for if I keep it. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh and more on my last post - thanks to all of you who posted your install experiences that allowed me to do it myself...with the help of my dad of course :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts