Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my diesel high roof 136" this week and I'm thinking through the up fitting options. I'm just trying to see what you all did and what was important in a few areas, and if you had it to do over again would you do it differently.

- Partition: did you install a fixed one or one with a door so you could access the back. My though is if I have a door I can open it and run some longer stock into the cab area, I'd be able to get 12' material in that way. It will come with a rack (and roller bar on the back...sweet!) for 16's which is what I primarily get but getting to a rack that high is going to be a major PItA so if I can shove some other stock inside it'll be that much easier. Also, was ingress egress to the cargo area important in your decision?

- Cab desk thing: Do you have one of those cab desk/cabinet things that goes between the two front seats? I think it would be pretty handy for writing on which I do quite a bit in my current truck. Of course that would negate the need for a partition for the door and I could go fixed.

- Sliding door window: This van did not have this option, although for about $500 I can have one cut in, there are kits for this that glass people have, it's not supposed to be uncommon and the dealer told me it's no problem for an up fitter. Is this something you really use/necessary? I'm sure I'll find out after some seat time but just curious.

- Any other changes you wished you made after the up fit was complete?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been driving my 159ext diesel for 7 Months, actually only 5, but that's on another thread(lemon). I do NOT have the side door or rear window glass, the new one does. If you are using a partition, the side door and window glass will be, mostly unusable. I wouldn't buy both till I sat in one with both. My new one has BOTH. While the guys in more extreme weather areas like the partition for AC/heat control, I find the heater and the AC to be very good at reaching a comfort level. This winter we were in single digits, and this summer has been in the constant high 90's and low 100's. Again, no problem, though it does require a higher fan speed than with the bulkhead. I have had vans with the bulkhead, and found it a PIA to load long goods and ladders. I chose the 159ext, as my 24" Werner fits between the back door and the back of the driver's seat. In my E350, it rode on the dash. Yep, I've paid for more than a few windshields. Once my new 2016 159ext gasser gets here, I have a bunch to do. Will be setting it up to work, but plan on finishing the inside and adding roof air, referring, aux battery and all to be able to use it for weekend camping and excursion. As I run a drapery company, I plan on a divider curtain for the cab, will let y'all know how that goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use my Van mostly for electrical and small renovation work. I originally wanted a partition and no rear or side windows. I ended up with no partition and side and back windows because of availability. I am glad because I really use the rear and side windows a lot when driving. Backing out of a tight parking space would be way harder without the side window. I have the camera and love it but it doesn't show you whats coming from the side. I also use the rear and sometimes side door for entry, especially when parked in a tight spot. The partition would have made this immposible. I made my own shelving and the only thing i would do different is design them so the most used tools are available near the doors. It would be great to open up the door and grab the screwgun, tape measure or pencils without actually having to get into the Van.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Indydog, when I first stated looking at van I really wanted the side glass as well. But then I got to thinking about security and opted to not get the glass. I even boarded over the rear door glass. With the backup camera theres no need to turn around and look through the rear doors anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both rear and side glass and tinted them dark. I think its the same tint limos use. Think 5%. Its dark!
Need both to drive the thing.

Also have racks and bins installed as we are A/V company. Found a local company that did a great job for about $3500. Got the rebate from RAM of $1000 so it was not too bad. All aluminum for weight and had a workbench installed on the passenger side. LED lights inside.
Just ordered COB LEDs (small 1.5" x 1.2" pad) for the front dome lights since its kinda dim with the factory bulbs. Also waiting for error free LEDs for the brake lights.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the fixed partition and the Adrian driver data file box between the seats. I like it BUT when something slides off the back and behind the seats I cannot reach it. My sunglasses have been back there for a week now because I haven't fished them out. One day they should slide back to an edge and I will be able to grab them��

·
Registered
473 Posts
I installed a partition without a door mainly to keep all the noise and dust in the back where it belongs. I got the extended length van as most of the material I haul is 12 feet long. I have no windows because no one needs to see whats inside. I did get the park assist and camera which I think is mandatory even if you have windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts