Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shopping for a flatbed truck (under 10,000 GVWR). I plan to go with a van-style cab, to keep the overall vehicle length to a minimum. I am drawn to the Promaster for it's tight turning radius, front wheel drive, and style. I'm here to learn more . . . .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2015 Promaster 2500 Chassis Cab

After a couple of years of thinking-about-it, I have finally taken the plunge. Yesterday, I bought a 2015 Promaster 2500 Chassis Cab. Since the 2017's are on the way to the dealerships, the price dropped significantly on this one. I have already put over 400 miles on it. Soon, I will fabricate a flatbed to attach to the back. I will be transitioning from a 1997 GMC Savana 1500 van. A few first impressions of the Promaster (in comparison to the Savana):

It has a stiff, hard ride! I'll bet the air seat option helps with that. Perhaps it is a little gentler on the 1500 model(?).

The front visibility is great.

The accelerator and brakes both seem hypersensitive.

My chassis cab model came with the extra wide mirrors. I think I would generally prefer the standard ones, but I guess these will be nice with a trailer. The right mirror is easy to see, but the left mirror is poorly positioned. Since it projects further than the standard mirror, it is partially obscured by the window channel. That could have been designed better.

I see why others have complained about the placement of the parking brake handle. I'm afraid it will go up the leg of my shorts as I get out, and I'll find myself dangling out the door, suspended by the brake handle.

The turning radius is great! (compared to similar-sized vehicles)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Congratulations on your new van. I’ll bet you will be happier with the ride when you get a body on the chassis. I do believe the 1500 has softer springs from my comparison with a friend’s 2500. However the 1500 is higher in the back due to more spring arch. Those mirrors will let you put on a wide body and still see.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more new-owner observation:

The gas and brake pedals feel a little funny compared to other vehicles I have driven. The panel above the brake pedal comes down so low that I sometimes bump my foot on it as I reach for the brake. Both pedals have more downward motion (as opposed to forward motion) than the pedals in other vehicles. I'm getting used to it quickly, but it is just a little unusual.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You will adjust to the Bus driver seating position soon. I now prefer it. I'm sure the ride will get better with the bed on it. The 2500 van rides very nice. Better than the Ford due to the wheelbase being longer.

With some weight, you'll love the powerful brakes and get up go from the gearing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will adjust to the Bus driver seating position soon. I now prefer it. I'm sure the ride will get better with the bed on it. The 2500 van rides very nice. Better than the Ford due to the wheelbase being longer.

With some weight, you'll love the powerful brakes and get up go from the gearing.
I already find the upright seating position more comfortable than most car seating positions. It is not too different from the GMC Savana I have been driving. You're probably right about the ride softening with more weight on the chassis.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Falcon wing mirrors, they're there for when you need to take someones head off in a parking lot. Most trucks with trailer/wide mirrors have more than one horizontal position, not the case on the PM..
The pedals are like that of a smart car, almost backwards feeling to a "normal" car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish that the extra-wide mirrors could slide in to a narrow position, as they do on some trucks. Then, I could slide them out for pulling a trailer, but keep them in most of the time.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Perhaps if you try, replacements of the narrower type might show up on eBay. I have seen them but a bit spendy. They look to be an easy change over. I’d want to ditch the Dumbo Ears.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps if you try, replacements of the narrower type might show up on eBay. I have seen them but a bit spendy. They look to be an easy change over. I’d want to ditch the Dumbo Ears.
I've been thinking the same thing. I'll try the wide ones for a while first, so I don't have regrets later. I'll bet I could easily sell the wide ones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
drive with the power folding mirrors folded in until a biker comes by splitting lanes, then scare the snot out of him

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I understand you said that for fun and I am going to take the attitude that you would not intentionally create risk for the vulnerable biker. I have ridden for 55 years and have seen my share of threats to my life and I have had friends killed by careless and malicious motorists. I won’t go on a rant here but in states that lane splitting is legal you really should be careful and considerate as we should when we ride. I am not responsible for the actions of my fellow bikers nor the motorists around them but I would remind you in motorcycle- vehicle collisions the biker is always the looser. 20 years after my son’s accident he has lifelong concussion symptoms even though he had all the gear, was riding properly and of of course never expected the school buss to do a sudden left turn in front of him. Those bikers are husbands, wives, dads, moms, sisters, brothers, and children.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Now, bicyclists are a whole 'nother problem. Not to mention donkeys, golf carts, snowmobiles, skiers, hitch hikers, highway construction workers and let's not forget school crossing guards & police who stop people for minor traffic infractions and then park their cruisers on the most dangerous part of the breakdown lane in order to cause needless traffic tie ups, slowdowns and potential accidents while "serving and protecting" society! ;(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts