Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the dealer replaced the battery in my van, their invoice shows they put in part number BBAH9950-AA, which I think is the right number for a 100AH battery. But when I look at the battery, it shows 95AH, with part number 68192809A8 which I haven't quite figured out what that is. Here is a picture of the label:

I think I'm just being dumb (as per) but did they put in the right battery for a diesel, or the one for a gasser?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,453 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That verifies that they said they put in the right battery, but what did they actually put in? What is that 68192809A8 part number?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,681 Posts
I wish I still had the scrap of paper where I wrote the numbers, but those sound familiar from when we replaced ours. There is a new number.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,453 Posts
I think it's a misprint, 68192809A8 should be 68192809AB, old pn. I think my battery is the 68192809AA version.

This is from a '15 spec sheet,
95 amp with 800 CCA, 100 amp with 950 CCA (diesel)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oops, phil got there first.
That has to be a "B" at the end -- 68192809AB. Google says that's a valid (old?) Mopar battery number, but it doesn't say what it belongs in. But I'd sure be suspicious if it's labeled 95A when diesels specify 100A. I'd call a different FCA dealer parts department and ask them to cross reference Mopar 68192809AB to see if diesel PMs are a listed application.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,453 Posts
WaterCamper has a '17 gas with a 68192809AA, it reasonable that 68192809AB would superseded that one. I'd go back a say WTF?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did go back and ask WTF about this 95AH battery in my diesel, and the dealer just looked on the computer and say it was the right part number. Even though I have to charge it every 2 or 3 weeks, they said it was charging properly.

So I called FCA and told them my tale of woe. About 2 days later I got an email from FCA saying that my dealer has ordered the proper battery. They said the dealer would have it in 2 days. That was 3 weeks ago. Now they say first week of June. What if this van was my livelihood? That would suck. Oh well.

We went on a road trip, and the battery did okay because we drove every few days. I took jumper cables and a battery charger just in case. The van performed perfectly! We went down to our place in Tennessee and over to Raleigh for my wife's sister's 50th wedding anniversary. We even boondocked a couple of nights. Fun to drive, excellent mpg, no problems whatsoever. Why do the dealers have to be so creepy?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here's the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the quest for a 100AH battery. Dealer called me on Friday and said the battery was in. Dropped it off last night and picked it up about a hour ago. Couldn't resist, so I remove the floor panel over the battery and had a "you've gotta be sh**ing me" moment. The battery is labeled 880 CCA and 95AH! Diesels are clearly supposed to have 100AH!!

But now it gets interesting: the Mopar part number (on the battery label) is BBAH9950AA which is supposedly the 100AH unit.

Boy am I confused! Anybody got a clue why a battery with the right part number has the wrong rating?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts