Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow PMC owners. In the frigid temperatures of the last week (in the single digits and teens), I have noticed my PMC "lurches" out of the gate with a cold engine. Manual says to drive normally vice idle to warm up, but it's really bad for the first few minutes (it'll start to drive, then "stall", then rev up, then "stall"). My PMC is a 2016 model year (purchased in late 2015). Searching around the web indicates there may be a firmware update to address this? Of course the dealer cannot tell me (or will not) whether a PMC of my vintage has an update (looking at their system for when updates are released would at least be helpful). Given it's a dead work day taking it in to the dealer - to possibly tell me "no, there are no updates." I thought I'd see users' experience here. Anyone have the cold transmission issue(s)? Anyone obtain a firmware update that fixed it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am experiencing that issue but I don't have time to have it looked at. Mine will sometimes rev to 5,000RPM before shifting when cold. It doesn't seem like a good idea to rev a cold engine that high but it only happens once or twice when really cold. Less than 10 degrees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I had the same problems with my 2015. It hated mornings especially cold ones. It would rev high, almost drive its self and vibrate. Mine also was a little loud, almost sounded like a little diesel. The worst thing for me was the vibrating. It vibrated when in drive and stopped at a light all the time. It was so annoying at stop lights I would shift into neutral and it would stop. I took it in a couple times to have it looked at and they updated it saying it should be fine. It wasn’t. When I brought it in for something else, their main tech drove it with me and said it was operating normally. It would also occasionally stall. I later realized it liked clean oil and changed it more frequently which helped. With these problems I was worried about the reliability of the van and honestly it was uncomfortable to drive because of them so I traded it in. I hope you have better luck with yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone following, I had my car in for warranty service. Flashed to the latest firmware. Still get the lurching at very cold temperatures (< 20 °F). From my TSB read, it's a known issue...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes My 2016 model does it too. I thought it was all a transmission problem but the other morning I sat in the van while warming it up. I slowly pressed the gas pedal to increase the rpms and noticed that when it got up to 1500 rpm it would drop back down to around 1000 even though I continued pressing the pedal down. I also noticed that when I changed my oil (back before it got cold) that it shifted smoother from 1st to 2nd gear. It really is aggravating when first starting out. Once it warms up it shifts much smoother. I think we should all write to Dodge/RAM and complain, maybe they'll make an effort to correct the problem. I can't blame anyone for getting rid of their van because of the way it drives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine does the same thing even in summer but not as bad. I thought I was driving with a carb!! It's called baugging.
I took mine in and they said the same thing, thats the way it is. They tried to reprogram but nothing helped it. I have auto-start now, so mine is warmed up before I get in it so I don't notice it anymore. Very aggravating.

·
Registered
117 Posts
*snip*. I slowly pressed the gas pedal to increase the rpms and noticed that when it got up to 1500 rpm it would drop back down to around 1000 even though I continued pressing the pedal down.
My '06 Caravan does the same thing. So did my Edge. The computer is lowering the idle because it knows there's no load. The only time you should do that is if it's overheating and you're in traffic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Same here. Seems to happen when temperatures are below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. I set aside 5 minutes to warm up the engine now. Seems to help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine does this too, the colder it is the worse it is. Warming it up for a while before driving off in winter makes a big difference. Very happy to have remote start and not having to go out in the -40 windchill we have here lately just to start it up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bauging

My 2016 seems to do this also but in all weather types, I checked the computer with a old that watched functions on the screen and found a small hiccup in the accelerator pedal function, dropping out at lower rpms as if it had a miss, yet not enough throw a code. Replaced the pedal with OEM Part from Rock Auto and it helped some, but think there is more too this. Still working on it. Seem like it "misses" but thinking it is a sensor of some sort causing this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes My 2016 model does it too. I thought it was all a transmission problem but the other morning I sat in the van while warming it up. I slowly pressed the gas pedal to increase the rpms and noticed that when it got up to 1500 rpm it would drop back down to around 1000 even though I continued pressing the pedal down. I also noticed that when I changed my oil (back before it got cold) that it shifted smoother from 1st to 2nd gear. It really is aggravating when first starting out. Once it warms up it shifts much smoother. I think we should all write to Dodge/RAM and complain, maybe they'll make an effort to correct the problem. I can't blame anyone for getting rid of their van because of the way it drives.

So the solution to this fleet-wide problem is to keep changing the oil?.. Gotcha. Mine does so also, but I live in a no-so-cold (cold, but not frozen, most times) area on the West coast. I warm it up in the driveway and take it easy on the start-ups until I get to the main drag, where it has warmed up enuf to be smooth -er. I'm perty sure it's inherent in the beast, just lighten up on throttle a bit.:nerd:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have started to perform a manual shift into 2nd gear when I pull out of the driveway. This eliminates the hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear. I also do this when I come to a stop sign on a upfill grade. It usually has a long hesitation and this makes take off quicker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 PMC and have experienced the same cold weather transmission issues. I’ve relayed this info on the forum previously, in response to a similar complaint but - because i feel your pain and had to figure out how to cope with this issue without assistance/any info- I wanted to pass along what I learned; hope it is helpful to you/others:

The first winter season I owned my PMC, it would “lurch” during the first few miles - when really cold. It even began stalling and shutting off in the mornings, within the first mile. When this occurred, it sometimes wouldn’t start - or would start and almost immediately shut off. Several dash lights came on (those listed in the manufacturer’s update notice/bulletin). I was about to return to the dealer but managed to resolve the issue myself.

“Hill assist,” electronic shift, ESC, etc. were all suddenly displaying a malfunction-“service required”

The check engine light simultaneously illuminated- with some of the codes referred to in the manufacturer’s bulletin.

After experiencing this a few times, I checked the oil level and it was low. I topped it off and the severe problems stopped.

I haven’t had an issue since - it still lurches a bit during the first few miles of severe cold temps- but less & tolerable. Think it is largely due to transmission fluid temp/engine oil level and temp.

1. As others stated: keep up with frequent oil changes
2. Check your oil level often
3. I also let it warm up for a few minutes and take it slow for the first few miles on particularly frigid mornings

That seems to work for my PMC. I agree it is an annoyance - seems like this particular year/model just wasn’t engineered for severe cold. I have experienced other issues with it, exclusively during cold temps -this goofy transmission behavior was def the most nerve wracking though.

I hope this helps somebody

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
For anyone following, I had my car in for warranty service. Flashed to the latest firmware. Still get the lurching at very cold temperatures (< 20 °F). From my TSB read, it's a known issue...
Mine ran great until they did the latest firmware update. Now they cannot revert back to the old firmware to correct the issue.

Problems I have had so far on my 2016 PMC - Battery died within 6 months, replaced. Radiator fan caught fire, replaced. Brake shoe metal band broke and damaged pad - replaced. And now the cold weather starts are starting to tell me that my next vehicle will be a Nissan....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts