Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone have any issues with the transmission on a cold day when first started?

The other day it was 6 degrees out, van started flawlessly but the CEL light popped on right away. I checked the code it was P17... I think the last part was 03 so P1703 from what I looked up it said it was a transmission failed to shift 1-2 error. After letting it warm up for a minute I took off in manual 1st and when I went to shift it would light up 2cnd in the display but would just rev out. When I came to a complete stop it would downshift to 1st and work fine but when I tried for second same thing.

After I got it back into my parking lot it was going into second but took its time. But third did the same thing. Once I noticed the Temperature gauge was starting to register I shut the van down and restarted. Once restarted the transmission worked flawlessly.

I guess the issue was related to the cold and it not wanting to shift properly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
6°F out - but what was the overnight low, the extra 200+ pounds of diesel motor, transmission hold heat & cold longer than gasser engines, warm up and cool off slower .... something I've enjoyed when there was still heat in the motor after sleeping for three or four hours.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-RAM-ProMaster_Diesel-SU-1st.pdf <--- page 36. I've started using block & transmission heater when the overnight low was below 10°F no matter what the fifteen-minute high temperature has reached.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was wondering myself how cold it got during the night. Other days the temps have been around 10 to 15 degrees, and I never had the issue till the other morning at 6 degrees. Right now its not an issue since the van is at the upfitter finally getting my Weatherguard shelving and bulkhead installed. Also having remote start, two way alarm, and deadbolt locks installed. Once I get it back the next thing I am installing is a second battery along with my power inverter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re cold weather and Robo-Trans

Hi SewerRatz, we had a cold weekend and I must say my Robo T behaved very well. Saturday AM was -33C (-27F) and after a session with the block heater and grumbly start, a short 4-5 minute idle time before engaging D , I moved off. I have along drive way (1/3mile) and I always let the 'Robot' due the first shift. I assume in the cold it knows better than I do. After reaching the road I use M mode exclusively. Shifts occur very [email protected] .I must say that so far no reluctant 1 - 2 shifts have been experienced. Sunday was colder yet! The morning temperature was -40C(-40F) soooo.........we looked outside at the glorious blue sky and sunshine ,and my wife and I went for a walk (short) justso we could say we did ,and left the Promaster to laze in the sun. Later that morning at -34C , took the Honda CRV to town. Overall Robo T performance much crisper and cleaner cold shifting than previous Auto.Trans Sprinters. Just had to add that last comment .

·
Registered
351 Posts
You guys should just move to Florida with all the other snowbirds :)

-27 F ??? It's supposed to be 71 here today!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts