Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do those of you who camp and drink coffee do to have a quality brew, winter and summer in your van while camping? For fear of sounding like I have the answer let me say I have tried about everything and have come down to.... (wait for it.....) INSTANT! I am so ashamed. However it isn’t ANY instant but is that Starbucks Via, french roast bought from Wally World or Target with coupons or on sale averaging $5/8 pks. It goes in the bottom of our Stanley drip-proof insulated coffee “mugs” https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Classic-Vacuum-Hammertone-Green/dp/B007VG761C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483456063&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+coffee&th=1 Hers is blue mine is classic green.
Here is the process, I half fill my stainless percolator base with water, drop the end of my instant read dial cooking thermometer in the spout, light the burner on the cheapo butane stove, go put my underware on (oops did I say that out loud?) and get out two via packs, one goes in each mug. By now the water is about 180º as that stove is a HOT item, and fill the mugs, (cow juice in hers) put the lids on, and now for the hard part. gently swish the mug, open the spout, swish a bit more, open the spout, then invert the mug over the sink. Why? The drinking spout is so waterproof that the heating of the air and interior of the mug can blow off the lid if you invert the mug without releasing the pressure! I love those mugs but it can happen! BTW the bit of extra hot water goes in the little dish pan with a bit of cold to wash up- first class treatment!
Then we have about 12-14 oz of pretty good coffee that stays hot for hours, or its gone. They fit all the cup holders too. If we are hiking we can return in 2 or three hours and still have nice warm remains, if we are driving that day we may pull in to MickyDees for a fillup, bathroom and internet, perhaps a sausage McD on occasion (now I have admitted everything!) What do you do?

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Just wondering, do you ever go into MickeyD's in your underwear to surf? You can usually find a Sr. coffee at Mickey's for under a $ plus many offer any size to anyone any time for a $ and their coffee is as good as any fancy, hifullutin' joint as far as I'm concerned (and I've been known to roast more than a few beans on my own).

I use a French press from IKEA myself, if no Mickey's is nearby. The grinds are a real pita to clean out of the French press tho so I just picked up a small 4 cup (actually 2 cup) drip (at the dump, of course) so I can just throw the grinds out with the filter.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes MCD,HD,LOW,TGT,WMT,SBUX I also use a 4cup and surf from the comfort of my van.
Just wondering, do you ever go into MickeyD's in your underwear to surf? You can usually find a Sr. coffee at Mickey's for under a $ plus many offer any size to anyone any time for a $ and their coffee is as good as any fancy, hifullutin' joint as far as I'm concerned (and I've been known to roast more than a few beans on my own).

I use a French press from IKEA myself, if no Mickey's is nearby. The grinds are a real pita to clean out of the French press tho so I just picked up a small 4 cup (actually 2 cup) drip (at the dump, of course) so I can just throw the grinds out with the filter.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
At campgrounds with power we each have two cups from a single-serve Keurig. I prefer most any French Roast and she prefers Dunkin Donut or similar. We like this because it's fast and doesn't make much of a mess to clean. Sometimes she will drink two cups in van and make a third for the road before unplugging.

If we overnight without power, we stop at the very first McDonalds that's open and buy two large cups. An hour or two later we repeat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You people are weird. Electric kettle hooked up to the inverter with an AeroPress. Cheap, easy, and delicious. Much better than the ass juice that is fast food/gas station coffee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thumbs up for the Stanley cups and Starbucks Via. (Disclaimer, I work for Stanley and use my expense account for the Via on my work adventures)

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Mugs Rock like nothing else! We have 3 in AZ as my wife has a 12 oz one for her exercise class besides our two 16 oz pair and we have 2 in NH one is a regular blue hammered surface and the other a stainless one to fit a bicycle bottle cage and I use it for coffee/cold drinks in my motorcycle tail bag. They never leak, stay hot or cold for 5-7 hours, tough, easy to clean, and stainless inside. Im thinking about a new identity and card...... Have Stanley Mug - Will Travel!..... -Nah it just doesn’t quite do it. Glad to know I am keeping you working. When you retire the expense account goes away!

·
Registered
99 Posts
An electric kettle (I use the plastic Bodum model), stainless french press (Frieling) and fresh ground 8 O' Clock French Vanilla beans (The french press works best if you grind the beans a bit course). Also, the electric kettle doubles as my source for small amounts of hot water for dishes, bathing, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just put a scoop of coffee in cold water in a Pyrex measuring cup the night before, and set it in the microwave. In the morning, I turn on the inverter (if I am not on shore power) and turn on the microwave. Cold-steeping helps extract more flavor from the coffee. Then I pour it through a filter in a filter-holder over a cup.

Another trick is to use the cold steeping method taking to the limit, and make coffee extract by cold-steeping a lot of coffee in a relatively small amount of water for a long time (like days), then keeping the extract in a closed container. Heat water by any means (e.g. an immersion heater - they are available in both 120V and 12V) and then add the coffee liqueur to mix.

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Great idea! A lot of us seem to use a French press which works well but cleaning the grinds out unless you're connected to or near an unlimited source of water is a hassle. I also have a Senseo brewer I use but the pods are getting very hard to find in NA now. It's far superior to a Kuerig in my opinion in both price and quality but Green Mnt has taken over the single serving market here unfortunately and they are so overpriced, weak tasting and bulky I refuse to ever own one for any use anywhere. I do have a pod maker for my senseo but it can be a pita on the road.

For convenience, quality and price Mickey D's wins by far but even they use different coffee suppliers throughout the country I believe. You can get away with crappy coffee everywhere but the Northeast and Northwest. Don't even get me started on that boiled hockey puck stuff from Timmy H's ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I use this Keurig. It is made for use in Hotel rooms. Out of all the Keurigs, this one draws the fewest amps, quite a bit less than the mini.

https://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Brewing-System-10-Inches/dp/B004978NKY

I drink my McDonald's coffee on my Keurig several times per day.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mc-cafe-coffee-pods/prod19970461.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_806000&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300000754167&adid=22222222628000043041&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=104962543355&wl4=pla-56942352545&wl5=9026054&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12=806000&wl13=&wl15=26916561395&wl17=1o1&veh=sem

I got used to drinking instant coffee when I was living in Mexico. When I first moved down there, it was the only kind of coffee you could get. Whether you ordered coffee in a restaurant or a convenience store, you got hot water and instant coffee. I hated it, but I found the biggest mistake was mixing it too strong. If you didn't put too much of the crystals, it tasted a lot more like real coffee. By the time I moved back to the States, 10 yrs later, you could get real coffee in all the Oxxo, and 7-11 stores in Mexico. I have never tried the Starbucks instant before.

-t

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
That is a good price on that one. The Keurig I posted above only draws 700 watts too. I have beat the heck out of that thing, and it is still going strong.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't do coffee, but she does.

Hot water via Bodum electric kettle. Poured into stainless french press. Coffee is usually ground at home just before leaving on the trip. (she roasts her own at home, as nearly every day for her starts at the espresso machine)

And yes, we have taken the old Gaggia espresso machine on the road as well. Did that for a canine event about a month ago, made espressos for folks in the winter, great fun.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I don't do coffee, but she does.

Coffee is usually ground at home just before leaving on the trip. (she roasts her own at home, as nearly every day for her starts at the espresso machine)

That is really cool. Where do you get the raw beans?

·
Registered
625 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts