Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy oh boy the story you guys won't believe. So I had mentioned on here before that my right strut mount had gone out at around 27000/37000 miles can't remember which right now. But again at 57000 miles the strut mount felt like it was going out again, was getting a clunking sound when I turned the steering wheel. I'll get back to this eventually.

Around Thanksgiving my engine was making the infamous pentastar tick, so I took it in and the dealership in Bayside Queens replaced two lifters and other components and said the repair will be warranted for two years unlimited miles. That was that, I picked up the vehicle after they fixed it and drove around working etc, two weeks later idk why but I had the random urge to look under my van while I was doing a delivery, I look under and the van was leaking oil, it was dripping off the transmission pan, so I thought maybe when they tried gaining access to the engine they took the tranny cooler off and didn't reattach properly. I was planning on taking a trip with the wife upto Vermont for Christmas break, so took the van in asap and asked for an oil change, for them to check what the leak was because I thought it was the transmission and to diagnose what I thought was a bad strut mount.
I'm going to do quick summaries now:
They replaced the engine oil cooler because it had cracked somehow
They couldn't repeat the clunking sound I heard
They checked the transmission fluid level and it had only 20% for some reason so they topped it off and told me to come back
Oh yeah, and I got a phone call from my service advisor stating that the top of my van had been damaged along with two of the clearance lights because the valet driver had driven it into their low garage door.

I needed to leave in two days so we agreed that I would be back after my trip to have the roof repaired and I was told that they would service the transmission when I returned and that it was safe to drive up to VT.

I came back, reported to ram corporate what had happened and also mentioned that I was going in for a clunking sound again. I was assigned a Promaster case manager from then on, this was around the second week of January.

The dealership agreed to pay the difference of the rental, ram case manager said they would cover upto 45 and the dealership said they would cover the rest.

They manage to fix the roof, change my engine oil again since the change oil sign came up and also serviced the transmission and said they found nothing wrong with it. But they said they could not reproduce the clunking sound and then told me the van was ready to be picked up. I went to inspect the van, and the clunking sound was still there and very much apparent. So I spoke to another service advisor, they had one of their night techs come out and he agreed that the strut mount was bad. This was on a Friday, I left the van their and said I would not take it till it was fixed and emailed and updated my case manager.

The following Tuesday I called my service advisor and he stated that they will be replacing both strut mounts and struts. And then says I hate to tell you this but the driver side of your van was damaged over night while it was parked on the street. I wasn't going to tell you and was just going to have it fixed.

I had him take pictures and send it to me, the damage that was done could have only been caused by a box truck with a 5 foot tall brick wall attached to it. Because the damage went from the bottom trim piece upto about 6ft high on the van.

Leave the van with them, continue paying for the rental out of pocket and I update the case manager again.

A few days later my service advisor calls again stating the van is ready for pickup and that the sound is no longer there. I let the case manager know again that they are saying it is ready for pickup, I get there and guess what, it's not ready for pickup. The two trim pieces which were damaged were still damaged, the body shop had just attempted to paint it Black for some reason, also the butt joint where the two panels meet didn't have paint along some of the seam weld -__-. There were clips missing from the headliner which was removed during the roof repair. The friggin clunking sound was still there and the screws I had been complaining about to hold the windsheild cowl in place since they did the engine work had yet to be replaced. Oh and the hose for the windsheild cowl was still loose so water was getting all inside the engine bay.

My service advisor had gone home for the day, so I texted him and sent the case manager a very pissed off email. And told them I would be back the next day to go over the complaints with the service advisor.

A few more days go by, and he said everything is fixed. Went to check on it, new trim pieces, good, screws for windsheild cowl, were still missing but fixed in front of me. The hose was attached in front of me. The headliner was still missing a clip, which he ran inside and grabbed a black clip and stuck it in. Oh yeah and the frkn sound was still there, except this time he witnessed it himself, and was like oh idk why I never heard that before, and you feel it too. Called the tech out who diagnosed it as the strut mount, he gave a new diagnosis as a bad Lower ball joint. I let the case manager know again that I left the van there for them to fix.

Texted my advisor yesterday on the 6th of February, and he said that they are working on the rack and pinion and should be done by 5pm. I replied, so the rack and pinion is bad, and not the ball joints? He replied a few moments later saying the van would be done around 5pm whilst completely ignoring my question. At 7pm I got a text saying it would be done tomorrow.

Case manager can't believe what the dealership is doing so she contacted ram corporate along with the "district manager".

I think she contacted them only after my pissed off email stating I have been patient and have gone against advise from counsel stating to file a complaint with consumer affairs in order to resolve this outside of court because I don't have time to goto court pay for a lawyer and not work.

I'll keep you all updated as well as to what the actual culprit is for the clunking sound. As of now I think they have no idea what the sound is, they seem like they're slowly going to replace the entire front end suspension.

The YouTube link is for the clunking sound plus the squealing sound which he said is normal, apparently the squealing sound is there to let us drivers know that it's the end of the turning point for the steering wheel. -__-

Besides these problems, I still love and miss the van, I think my problems are mainly caused by incompetent workers, mechanics and management at the specific dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just realized that I did not have a quick summary, long story short some dealerships suck, and I will post what repair actually stops the clunking sound in the steering when it stops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership mishaps aside, I wanted to eventually share if they the solution to the clunking sound, because I know many of us on here just live with the sound. I opened the case with ram just for the clunking sound while turning the steering wheel. All the dealership garbage that has happened since is just poor dealership management and horrible technicians who can't diagnose a problem.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It really is a shame that you are locked in to dealerships for warranty work. They are the worst.
At some point, we should start a thread/list with contacts for mechanics around the country that everyone has had reliable service with. Whether private or dealership service centers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to my case manager assigned by Ram, she said we are allowed to go-to any Promaster certified dealership to have warranty work performed.
Also the clunking in my steering and the loud screeching squeal was resolved by the replacement of my rack and pinion. If anyone here has issues with their struts or clunking of their steering wheel, they can contact me as I am still in contact with my case manager.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's normal to get your van back in worse shape than when it was dropped off, and not get the original issue fixed. These dealers are so incompetent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts