Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a trip where I would be getting in the water and wanted to keep my Promaster key with me, I decided to get a cloned key with a chip, without a fob, from a local locksmith.

They cloned the key from my key fob.

Now, the key they made works, but the fob will not start the van. It gets the orange security lock out light.

I hope I'm explaining this well. Has anyone seen this behavior before? I looked at some other threads and people mention cloning keys, but never having this issue with them.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
When you said fob, you meant the original oem fob won't turn on the engine anymore after the clone? Can the cloned key turn on the engine?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
But from what i understand, the cloning process just mimic the original transponder signal and doesn't change any of the car ECU/computer key settings.
But hopefully @CarKeys and @Taylor can charm in here since they are the key experts here.

Reactions: wnybiker

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,425 Posts
Keep in mind that the key switchblade needs to be in the fully open position, or you will get the lock icon.

It appears that you can fold it once the engine has started though. Maybe it's some kind of a battery saving mechanism?

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
436 Posts
Providing your primary key was original from factory , no harm from being cloned.

Non factory keys can be overwritten by mistake when cloned and wiped out .

Did your original key stop working at same time you got extra cloned key ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your original key stop working at same time you got extra cloned key ?
I tried both keys on the way home from the locksmith - both worked. I drove for ~20 mins on the cloned key and ~15 on the OEM key.

A couple of days later, the next time I tried to start it, the OEM key stopped working.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
If the cloned key is your only working key, i would suggest you get another key from the dealer. If your cloned key fail after you armed the car, it might lock the ECU and you will need to buy new keys and new ECU plus towing to the dealer.
Also you might want to try replacing the battery in the oem fob, i remember reading someone have issue with oem fob and changing the battery solve it. It doesn't make sense since the transponder have no tie to the remote fob but it solve their issue. Also maybe try disconnect your car battery for a few min and see if it resolve the issue.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lock / unlock working on fob ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok this is what I've come up with provided no damage to original fob water / dropped / locksmith did not disassemble key to clone ??

Fixture Yellow Measuring instrument Gas Electricity

Have original shop test frequency should read 434 MHz

Product Wood Communication Device Gadget Material property

Check that transponder chip can be read

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

If transponder chip can be read , try a new shell and install your original electronics and blade .
Also try moving / wiggle fob around when starting , receiver only needs to be a hair off to not make contact .

Worse case is no so bad anymore , with Automotive Locksmith's able to cut and program pre 2021 promaster full function keys now .

·
Registered
436 Posts
Keep in mind that the key switchblade needs to be in the fully open position, or you will get the lock icon.

It appears that you can fold it once the engine has started though. Maybe it's some kind of a battery saving mechanism?
When folded the chip is moved away from receiver and not detected .
Just saying 🙂

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
227 Posts
Yes, all keys need to be programmed at the same time - learned the hard way.

I went through this when trying to program my 2018 with spare used fobs (with matching FCC IDs). Ultimately learned that 2018+ are seeded with VIN so had to come from factory. At the time, we were not able to get the chipped key programmed, but my understanding is new devices and software are now available (as evidenced by our professional friend's post above).

Just gonna speculate, but I assume if you have the chipped (non-fob) key working, you could probably re-program them all at the same time. (I now use my useless chipped key as a valet key I can take surfing - we watersports fans need to hold auto manufacturers accountable to not make everything electronic!).

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, all keys need to be programmed at the same time - learned the hard way.

I went through this when trying to program my 2018 with spare used fobs (with matching FCC IDs). Ultimately learned that 2018+ are seeded with VIN so had to come from factory. At the time, we were not able to get the chipped key programmed, but my understanding is new devices and software are now available (as evidenced by our professional friend's post above).

Just gonna speculate, but I assume if you have the chipped (non-fob) key working, you could probably re-program them all at the same time. (I now use my useless chipped key as a valet key I can take surfing - we watersports fans need to hold auto manufacturers accountable to not make everything electronic!).

Good luck!
I called the locksmith and she said "you had another key?" Yup, I did. We'll try to re-program next week and I'll report back.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
309 Posts
This sounds frustrating, but it also reminds me that these vans are difficult to steal. Silver linings or something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I finally made it back to the locksmith and my OEM fob is dead -- they couldn't re-program it. I left with a new aftermarket fob, a lighter wallet, and a lesson learned. Sheesh.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So I finally made it back to the locksmith and my OEM fob is dead -- they couldn't re-program it. I left with a new aftermarket fob, a lighter wallet, and a lesson learned. Sheesh.
How much lighter ?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
So did the locksmith program or cloned your new keys? That isn't bad if its a fob with remote. I think my dealer valet key(w/o remote) cost about $180.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts