Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is our clipboard supposed to flip up like this one? Haven't been able to figure out whether ours is worthless, or it flips up.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
No.

It definitely does not. Ours is held at the front edge of the dash (closest to the driver) with two screws that are accessible with the radio removed. (Torx 20 head, I believe) The back end (closest to the windshield) has two plastic tabs that slide into slots in the dash.

To remove, slide radio out, then remove two screws, then lift from the front edge and it will "hinge up" from the back.

I took mine out to permanently attach a GPS mount and drill a hole for the GPS power feed.

Worthless as a clipboard, but a good place to make holes to feed wires up onto the dash!

Ed

·
Registered
247 Posts
In Europe it's standard on all Ducato, Jumper and Boxer since 2006.
Probably they don't install it on the Promaster for safety problems.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Maddening, isn't it. All day long I put stuff on and take stuff off that clipboard, and every time I do I curse FCA for not making it flip up. Seriously, somebody needs to start importing the $2 worth of Euro parts to make it flip up. I'd buy it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I took mine out to permanently attach a GPS mount and drill a hole for the GPS power feed.
Any pics proeddie? Was thinking of pulling mine out to mount the GPS there too. Figured I'd fill in the space with a piece of black carpet...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Any pics proeddie? Was thinking of pulling mine out to mount the GPS there too. Figured I'd fill in the space with a piece of black carpet...
Just for the record, I took mine out, screwed down a GPS bracket, drilled a hole for the cord, then put it back in place.

I figure I can use the clip if I get a parking lot paid stub or something like that. Probably would not be hard to make a wood filler and cover with leather, carpet.

Suction cup mount doesn't grab onto the texture, so I added a few screws to attach the bracket solidly. I tried a 7" Garmin - the display was great, but it looked too big sitting on the dash. Also, with a 5", I just throw a baseball cap over it if I'm concerned about the parking location.

Here you can see the two clips that the screws grab onto

In this picture you can clearly see the two square holes near the windshield that the clipboard tabs slide into.
At the front edge, you can see the two holes where the screws attach the clipboard to the dash (but you have to slide the radio out a bit to get to them!

Hope this helps!
Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's almost identical to what I did... GPS mount for Nuvi 5000, plus small hole for the cord connected into the wiring harness below. Sooo much better than trying to use the built-in GPS.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Many thanks Ed! That's an even better idea than I had.

I have a Garmin RV760. I love the 7" GPS screen, plus it works with a wireless backup camera. Not the highest resolution but it is good enough and was a quick n' easy install.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ed, I'd like to know how you decided to connected power to the GPS. Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
i did mine like proeddie except i mounted an iPad instead...makes long trips alot more tolerable
Any pictures? Mini or full size? I like to use my iPad for navigation and video but haven't found a good mounting solution yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
same here...which is why i illegally tinted my front windshield so that they cant see it :)
I wanted to get my front tinted a bit but the place that does all my tinting said they won't do it because any tint is illegal. That front windshield is like a giant magnifying glass.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Ed, I'd like to know how you decided to connected power to the GPS. Thanks
Roblee,

Sorry, I forgot to reply! I have temporarily routed the wire down and under the dash and then back up to plug into the 12V jack near the cupholder.

Next project: I will remove the big 3 position cupholder to gain access the the wires going to the (aforementioned) 12V jack and parallel a second jack behind the cupholder. The adapter will plug in there.

Also, I just got a new 5" Garmin with traffic and it uses the power wire as an antenna for the traffic, so I will run the wire just below the clipboard in a big "U" shaped curve to provide exposure to the "air".

Recommendation: If anyone is looking for a Garmin, the Nuvi 2595 LMT is spectacular! It has voice command, lifetime maps and traffic, and a really nice 5" screen! It's a model year old, but with lifetime data, that doesn't matter. It is getting harder to find but still available!

Ed

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I discovered in Europe the clipboard is called a clipboard/writing desk and does not open on vans that have a passenger side air bag so I guess that explains why ours do not open.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts