Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The clearance lights were leaking and the more I looked at them the more I didn't like them. My van is a 159 HT, with only 1,000 miles. So I went looking for a suitable replacement and went with the smoked teardrop with sealed 9-LEDs lamps. The PM light is 3-1/2" center to center, new light 3" CtC. Didn't want to drill the van body. So the mod was to drill a new hole in the new light base 1/2" further back. I also got some thicker 1/4" foam sticky back weather sealant gasket to use on bottom of light and reused the bottom gasket under to lens. This heavier gasket allows the light to flex a little when mounting and stay sealed. The wiring was very easy, cut the old light off and new lights have a plug, cut that off and butt splice connection. Use the clip on a pen to keep the wires from dropping into the van. I'm liking the look. Amazon.com: Partsam 5pcs Front Rear Smoke Lens Teardrop Cab Light 9LED Amber Cab Marker Light Top Roof Running Light with Wiring Pack for Trucks, Vans, Pickups, semis and RVs: Automotive
Van Light 1.jpg
Van Lights 3.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
The clearance lights were leaking and the more I looked at them the more I didn't like them. My van is a 159 HT, with only 1,000 miles. So I went looking for a suitable replacement and went with the smoked teardrop with sealed 9-LEDs lamps. The PM light is 3" center to center, new light 3-1/2" CtC. Didn't want to drill the van body. So the mod was to drill a new hole in the new light base 1/2" further back. I also got some thicker 1/4" foam sticky back weather sealant gasket to use on bottom of light and reused the bottom gasket under to lens. This heavier gasket allows the light to flex a little when mounting and stay sealed. The wiring was very easy, cut the old light off and new lights have a plug, cut that off and butt splice connection. Use the clip on a pen to keep the wires from dropping into the van. I'm liking the look. Amazon.com: Partsam 5pcs Front Rear Smoke Lens Teardrop Cab Light 9LED Amber Cab Marker Light Top Roof Running Light with Wiring Pack for Trucks, Vans, Pickups, semis and RVs: Automotive View attachment 60358 View attachment 60358 View attachment 60360 View attachment 60359 View attachment 60361
Nice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks great! Want to sell the ones you took off? I seem to have lost a lens.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe he drilled a hole in the new light, not the van .... so technically you are correct, but I sense your intention was to troll his post .... So ....

View attachment 60439
Thanks. I did drill a new hole in the new light. The van is 3-1/2" center to center. Most of the aftermarket lights are 3", so look for one with a lens that covers the mounting screws.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like the look of those as well as the idea of making sure that they are sealed well before I start putting miles on my van. Those would blend in much better on my dark granite paint color. The clear ones sure do stick out on dark paint. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks. I did drill a new hole in the new light. The van is 3-1/2" center to center. Most of the aftermarket lights are 3", so look for one with a lens that covers the mounting screws.
I just got these in today after seeing your FB post. I am going to also drill the light to 3 1/2" like you did and seal the hole unused. Where did you get the thicker 1/4" backed foam for thicker gasket? Looked at Lowe's today, but couldn't find anything like this.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got these in today after seeing your FB post. I am going to also drill the light to 3 1/2" like you did and seal the hole unused. Where did you get the thicker 1/4" backed foam for thicker gasket? Looked at Lowe's today, but couldn't find anything like this.
My local rubber shop just gave it to me. Custom Cut Gaskets | Water Jet Gasket Cutter | Mil-Spec Hoses If you can't find some, it's close by and I can put it in the mail for you, no problem. It came with a sticky back. I'm pretty certain it's a neoprene.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Are the bases of the stock lights flat?

Why not just put down a layer of sealant like Lexal and press the replacement lights into it?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When folks say their clearance lights leak, are they leaking inside the van, or are the light housings filling up with water? I fixed the latter by putting nylon washers (Lowes) under the screws.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When folks say their clearance lights leak, are they leaking inside the van, or are the light housings filling up with water? I fixed the latter by putting nylon washers (Lowes) under the screws.
I asked the exact same question. The replies from some were that the light housings were leaking, and also that water was entering the van from the lights and dripping inside the cab and down the inside windshield. Glad your fix worked.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I saw was the light fixture wasn't sealed around the screw thru hulls, also saw leaks on the bottom flange of the light. So they fill with water usually to the light sockets, that has a weak seal and then leaks into the cab. That's one reason most pics you see water up to the light.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What I saw was the light fixture wasn't sealed around the screw thru hulls, also saw leaks on the bottom flange of the light. So they fill with water usually to the light sockets, that has a weak seal and then leaks into the cab. That's one reason most pics you see water up to the light.
Yeah, mine came from the factory with a glue-line crack in a screw well. But it had not leaked inside the van before I noticed the water inside the light housing. Nylon washers fixed mine, and it's held for 2 years here on the PNW wetcoast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts