Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a video of a sprinter conversion where they had done a neat trick to give themselves a table without drilling any holes in the floor.

https://youtu.be/ooOoDx2NxkU?t=9m8s

I'm wondering if such a thing would work on the Promaster. Can someone do a quick sanity check on their open door and see how much clearance you have?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
There is 1-1/2 inches but the track extends a bit from the van so count on 1+ inch. Close for what you are thinking.

But man, we love to cook, eat, and wash up with that door open. Giving up the ability to have the galley in front of it and not being able to look out that window on even a rainy day would be too much for us.

We live on the edge of our Van, sort of inside/outside. Both our homes have been designed and built on the same premise. It’s just us. Others have lots of windows to allow an open sense. We have decided no one can see inside until you turn on the interior lights at night so privacy has not been an issue.

Just looking at that Sprinter interior gives me the creeps. Who would want to be in a submarine? Oops sorry Rich Maud you may miss it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
It could go the other way and lift up to be supported by a strap from the ceiling, which would be better than the diagonal strap, and you could still have the window.

That said, I wouldn't do it in a PM. Our door is significantly bigger than the Sprinter door and hard to maneuver anyway without the extra load that could also rattle. Plus, as RD notes, it can only be used with the door closed.

I have tables that pull out and rest on drawers instead of legs. Would that work instead?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is 1-1/2 inches but the track extends a bit from the van so count on 1+ inch. Close for what you are thinking.

But man, we love to cook, eat, and wash up with that door open. Giving up the ability to have the galley in front of it and not being able to look out that window on even a rainy day would be too much for us.
I think we would probably have the table down most of the time when the door is closed anyway, so blocking the window isn't really an issue. In our case, we're trying not to be terribly conspicuous because we spend a lot of time in the city rather than out camping. Leaving the sliding door open isn't as fun next to a sidewalk :)

It could go the other way and lift up to be supported by a strap from the ceiling, which would be better than the diagonal strap, and you could still have the window.

That said, I wouldn't do it in a PM. Our door is significantly bigger than the Sprinter door and hard to maneuver anyway without the extra load that could also rattle. Plus, as RD notes, it can only be used with the door closed.

I have tables that pull out and rest on drawers instead of legs. Would that work instead?
Not sure I understand what you mean by, "it could go the other way." All I can imagine is having the table be detachable such that it connects to the door panel somehow and also to a cord suspending it from the roof. I'll think about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Is it open underneath? The benefit to this fold down table is that you can put your legs under it and sit at it like a "normal" table for work / eating etc.

·
Registered
808 Posts
There are also a great number of commercially available telescoping folding tables that could work, and have the benefit of being portable so you have the option of taking them outside or putting them in different positions inside.

I am considering getting this one even though I have other foldup tables in my layout.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Outdoor-Table-Mosaic-Top/dp/B00I14X6T4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511148315&sr=8-3&keywords=coleman+folding+table[/ame]

Seems very flexible and gives you many options.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean by, "it could go the other way." All I can imagine is having the table be detachable such that it connects to the door panel somehow and also to a cord suspending it from the roof. I'll think about it.
I think she means it could fold from the driver's side rather than the sliding door.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
By "go the other way," I meant lift up instead of pull down. It would still be attached by piano hinge to the door.

No legs under my tables--just a 2" drawer that's no worse than a 2" apron on a regular table. Mine come from under the bed, but they could also come from under a counter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By "go the other way," I meant lift up instead of pull down. It would still be attached by piano hinge to the door.

No legs under my tables--just a 2" drawer that's no worse than a 2" apron on a regular table. Mine come from under the bed, but they could also come from under a counter.

So is the red table top part removed when you to access the contents of the drawers then? Also, where are you seated when you're using these?

·
Registered
538 Posts

We live on the edge of our Van, sort of inside/outside. Both our homes have been designed and built on the same premise. It’s just us. Others have lots of windows to allow an open sense. We have decided no one can see inside until you turn on the interior lights at night so privacy has not been an issue.

Just looking at that Sprinter interior gives me the creeps. Who would want to be in a submarine? Oops sorry Rich Maud you may miss it.

Its OK Man. It won't creep me out until the bilges get painted terracotta red and the rest is equipment gray ;)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
Red is Formica over 1/2" ply that slides in and out above drawer like a cutting board under a counter. Runners rest on the drawer slides. Drawer and table top function independently. For use as a table, they are pulled out together. As a nightstand for bed, top is pulled partway out. Or drawer can be used normally. We sit on collapsible stools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts