Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have the P0071 (ambient air temp) code on my gas 2500 and it's listed as "Permanent" on my code reader and wont clear it. I have an Autel AL319 if that makes a difference for the code reader. Cheap as they come.
I was looking at doing the little hack fix that is found all over the site rather than replace that whole mirror, but how do I then get the code to clear after the fix, as the code reader will not do it when I try to "clear codes"?

Will unplugging the battery for a while solve this? Hoping I don't ultimately have to take to dealer for something this stupid.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,035 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on? I don't think its possible to clear the Permanent code, i think that is the new protocol for OBD2, so it prevent people from cheating the system by erasing the code and try to pass smog or sell to other people with underlining issue.
Once you fixed the AAT sensor, it will erase the permanent code after a few drive cycle. If you unplug the battery with the permanent code, it will reset the drive cycle and you have to start over again. You can accelerate the drive cycle by google the drive cycle criteria for dodge vehicle.
I went through similar AAT issue when i bought my van used and had to get rid of the code before smogging it.
So fix your AAT and run through drive cycles and it will take care itself.

Reactions: mckennachristo

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if it would just turn off on it's own after a drive cycle once it's resolved. I guess what's frustrating is when I fix it I wont know if it's fixed until the car decides to let me know ha! I wish they would just sell the stupid AAT sensor standalone or I could find a promaster in a salvage yard near me but I havent found a single one over the years for the pickin' over. I appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,035 Posts
you should know if you fixed your AAT, the temperature on your dash should somewhat reflect the ambient air temp. How are you fixing it? are your dash temp wildly different from the actual air temp?

My issue end up to be a broken AAT wire in the area where it pass through the door and the chassis. I only see intermitted dash temp error when I open and close the door. For a long time I just don't use the front door until last year I finally took the door panel off and undo the door wire harness and fixed the broken wire.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to go down that path I've seen posted about with adding a resistor and it just being set on a random temp, whoever I actually saw the post you made about splicing in the AAT sensor for a dodge charger. Do you have pics of it? That seems like an inexpensive and fairly practical path.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,035 Posts
Sorry Im not at home but the dodge charger AAT is too big and won't fit inside the mirror housing. So i just screw it to the under side of the housing. I bought a match pigtail connector for the Charger AAT so if the AAT ever fail it will take less than a second to replace. I will try to get you a pic of it once Im home.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be awesome, thanks! I'm totally fine with it attached to the outside.
This is what it looks like I'll be picking up then (link below), but could you point me in the direction of the wiring pig tail I'll need to splice in to connect to the existing wires in the mirror?
I'm assuming I'll need to cut the existing two wires and connect them to a pig tail that will fit into the Charger model att sensor but I'm not quite sure what plug end I will need.
AAT - https://www.carparts.com/ambient-temperature-sensor/standard/siax75

I really appreciate your help and time on this, means a lot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
I have the P0071 (ambient air temp) code on my gas 2500 and it's listed as "Permanent" on my code reader and wont clear it. I have an Autel AL319 if that makes a difference for the code reader. Cheap as they come.
I was looking at doing the little hack fix that is found all over the site rather than replace that whole mirror, but how do I then get the code to clear after the fix, as the code reader will not do it when I try to "clear codes"?

Will unplugging the battery for a while solve this? Hoping I don't ultimately have to take to dealer for something this stupid.
Thanks in advance!
You need to stop diconnecting the battery or clearing the codes. PDTC's will only clear when the vehicle "runs monitors" which it will do by itself with normal driving (a few days to a few weeks). Search for "running monitors". The PDTC does not affect anything except you would fail a smog inspection.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to stop diconnecting the battery or clearing the codes.
I just read it online as a way to clear codes in the past when my code reader wouldnt clear it. Have not done the disconnect to clear a code myself and this is my first time experiencing a "Permanent" code so I was just asking about it and if it was actually an option, which I learned it is not.

i think its this one but not 100% sure:
Thanks! Going to order both of that and the charger sensor and see what I can make happen.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once you fixed the AAT sensor, it will erase the permanent code after a few drive cycle.
Sorry to bug you again, but a follow up on this drive cycle thing:
I cleaned up the connectors between the ATT and where it connects behind the door panel and re-plugged back in and my temp sensor is working again (on the dash). I've driven about 100miles at this point between freeway time and around town and the code is still present. I googled "Dodge Drive Cycle" and all the info I can find has listed "MIL must be off" (which mind is obviously not). Do I just keep driving and hope I eventually hit the magical code that will make it "reset"?
Here is the most detailed list of Drive Cycle info I could find and it looks like there are a bunch of different particular things that may need done to run through a cycle. Do I just spend a day doing all these thigns to a T or just keep on driving like normal?

Chrysler & Dodge: Drive Cycle Procedures to complete OBD Readiness Monitors | JUST SMOGS® + REPAIR

I really appreciate your comments and guidance on this.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,035 Posts
I don't remember if I erase the MIL with my scanner but you can try that and see if you can get the MIL to turn off by erasing the code. I remember it was pretty hard to run through the drive cycle on the street. I remember going out late a night so less traffic and find the longest straight road with less amount of traffic. Still wasn't easy. I use a BT scanner with an app and its shown which drive cycles passed/fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts