Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hope everyone out there is staying healthy during these uncertain times.

I've filed a class action lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler of America (FCA) and want the Promaster community to be aware. I've attached the lawsuit here, so you can read over the details. In a nutshell, Promaster VIN's do not appear to be covered under the X85 extended warranty bulletin for the commonly found "pentastar tick" - misfire / left cylinder head failure.

FCA offered no explanation as to why my Promaster's VIN was not listed, and therefore covered, under the X85 extended warranty even though my van has a build date of 2013, at the height of when the bad cylinder heads were being installed. I was left out to dry on repair costs to the tune of thousands and was unable to use my vehicle for weeks while the repair was taking place.

I post this in an effort to raise awareness about a problem FCA knows about, or should know about, yet refuses to handle within reason. If you or someone you know has had, or is currently having issues with your Promaster, please get in touch with Tim Bechtold at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We recently incurred substantial expense fixing a pentastar tick problem. However, our tick was a failed rocker. Does this 'tick' scenario bear any relationship to your law suit?
Hey Winston,

This lawsuit is a first for me, so I'm in uncharted waters here. My suggestion would be to shoot Tim Bechtold, the lawyer behind this case, a note with the troubles you've been having with your engine; [email protected]
Tim would know best if what you're experiencing is compatible with our case. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why are 2019 and 2020 model years not included?
Hey Vandit,

Unsure as to why certain model years were or were not included in the X85 warranty - that's kind of the core argument against FCA - they have not provided any rationale or reasoning behind why nearly all other models with the Pentastar 3.6L engine are covered under the extended warranty but certain models are excluded. You'd think that since they use that powerplant in so many vehicles, the X85 coverage would extend to all makes / models with that engine, but that's just not the case and we're asking WHY.

EDIT: one possible reason could be because the 2019 / 2020 model years are presumably still covered under the factory powertrain warranty? Just a guess.

Feel free to reach out to Tim Bechtold, the lawyer on this case, if you have more detailed questions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
431 Posts
I have read the filing and will consult your law firm. A big THANK YOU Eric Melson for the actions you have taken on our behalf.
On another note, I have had the top-end repaired twice but am not sure if the defective heads were replaced.
I would suggest all owners of the affected gassers get in touch with the class action attorneys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How do you know if you have a "Pentastar tick?" What are the indicators?
We have had a transmission wobble at 40 mph that occurs on largely smooth roads and regardless of tires. Anything on that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great job filing a class action lawsuit! I wonder if the law firm would take on the broken glow plugs/replace head issue with the diesel PM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vlouish - just google "pentastar tick" there are thousands of examples out there, and heaps of info.

2much2c - feel free to reach out to Tim Bechtold, the lawyer on this case to ask; [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I definitely will be getting In touch with him also. I just want to get all my paperwork ready first. I had the pentastar tick along with the misfire code. I had 96,000 and I bought it brand new 4 years and 11 months at the time this happened. Dodge Dealer said it needed a new motor so had a new motor installed and they didn't pay a penny. $9,000 of my money spent. I have learnt a lot about warrantees now and what a dealer has to show me before I fork over any money. I fought myself about hiring a attorney also. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
This just happened to me this weekend- I would love to know if there has been an update- I have contacted Chrysler as well as the attorneys listed above- I appreciate the help with all of this as this expense comes at a time where my husband has lost his job and money is tight!

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
This just happened to me this weekend- I would love to know if there has been an update- I have contacted Chrysler as well as the attorneys listed above- I appreciate the help with all of this as this expense comes at a time where my husband has lost his job and money is tight!
The post above yours was deleted because the poster made no introductory post yet you go right ahead and make two posts and no introductory post???

·
Registered
3 Posts
The post above yours was deleted because the poster made no introductory post yet you go right ahead and make two posts and no introductory post???
Ok- first of all- no idea that was the rule, I never read that when I signed up and was not informed of that so I apologize but there really is no need to be rude. I am Sherry. As many of you the past few months have been very difficult. My husband was laid off, my sister was diagnosed with cancer and my profession as a teacher has been the hardest I have ever experienced in my 20 years of teaching. My only reliable car- a 2006 Dodge Durango had a transmission fail right before I was to move my son into college so in a rush I ran out and bought a used van three days before he was due to move. In my rush I did not do my homework and fast forward 2 months later and I have it in the shop with the CEL on and find out I need 1500-3000 of money I do not have to make this better. So to say things have been a roller coaster would be an understatement. Any help, any advice, any suggestions and a little kindness would sure help me out right now- thank you! It is a 2014 Town and County with a failed left cylinder head- thanks again

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
This will serve as your introductory post.
‘Good luck

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 conversion
12 Posts
Hi everyone, I didn't know about the "Tick" When I bought our 2017 Promaster 2500 159.
I had the van checked by a mechanic before buying it and he said it had had a #2 cylinder misfire code.
But could find nothing wrong with the van.
We built it out as a camper and were heading across country and broke down north of Laramie Wy.
This is what the mechanic at the Chrysler dealer found in our oil pan.
I was told by FCA and the dealership that since I was the 2nd owner and my mileage was at 61,580 1,580 past warranty they wouldn't even consider a good will repair and that was not defective head.
#2 cylinder is in the left bank and this is what was left of the #2 piston and surrounding parts.
I appreciate the info on the class action.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How do you know if you have a "Pentastar tick?" What are the indicators?
We have had a transmission wobble at 40 mph that occurs on largely smooth roads and regardless of tires. Anything on that?
I largely got rid of my wobble by inflating my tires correctly.I was getting it when accelerating on both winter and stock tires .I had been putting too much air in the front tires .More is not better in this case

·
Registered
123 Posts
I largely got rid of my wobble by inflating my tires correctly.I was getting it when accelerating on both winter and stock tires .I had been putting too much air in the front tires .More is not better in this case
We have kept our tires inflated at the required 65 front, 80 rear for the entire life of the vehicle. We are very careful with this. FYI, both our transmission and power steering failed at abou 52,000 miles (transmission under warranty). The wobble seems to be gone after these repairs. One or the other of these things was probably the cause of the wobble, not our tires. We always follow FCA recommendations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The "tick" is from the lifters collapsing and/or the the rocker arm needle bearings wearing out which ruins the camshafts where they bear against irregularly.Its beyond the normal valve clatter you hear

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Eric. I wanted to research what happened with your class action lawsuit. It said that you settled with FCA in December of 2020. It's OK if you want to be discreet about the settlement details for yourself, but what was the settlement for the "CLASS"??? There was no mention of what the details were or how FCA was going to cure the warranty issues cited in your lawsuit. Are you at liberty to share that? I'm sure the settlement details for the "Class" would help other consumers in a similar situation and to preserve their rights under the settlement. Please enlighten us!!!!

-Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts