Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to offend anyone but since the City came out, I've been asking the question, "Why not get a Dodge Grand Caravan instead?"

My non-Promaster 159WB Hi Roof daily driver is a Dodge Journey and I really like the engine and powertrain, along with all the features they built in.

Before posing the question here and risking some obvious reasons, I hit the 'net and found this review.

"At $23,130 the Tradesman trim of the City is $1,735 more than the 2015 Grand Caravan AVP, aka the cheapest minivan in America. The Caravan isn’t the freshest minivan on the market, but the interior is still several steps above the ProMaster City. Dodge gives you a 283 horse V6 standard, it can swallow a 4×8 sheet of plywood, the factory payload is just 154lbs lower and it will tow 1,600lbs more. FCA does plan on fixing this, but the fix is killing off the AVP instead of lowering the ProMaster City’s price. This value problem is not unique to the RAM however as the Transit is also more expensive than the AVP. Admittedly suggesting the passenger version of the Caravan over the ProMaster City is “missing the point” a little, but the wagon variant we tested widens the gap to nearly $3,000. If your cash is on the line, my best advice is to skip both the ProMaster City and the Transit Connect and get a Caravan AVP while you can. As long as you don’t need the barn doors in the back or don’t mind a DIY conversion, the discount Dodge is the most compelling option."

My thoughts on the City: a little better gas mileage, unique style, Fiat-based, no windows if you don't want 'em...
On the Caravan: great engine, best of both worlds.

So I'm just wondering, aside from the new PC vs. the old and outgoing Caravan, what set you in the direction of a Promaster City?

I'm not buying either one soon because I really like the PM and Journey I have, but I have wondered about the choice others have made. Again, no offense intended. I like our "little buddy." It's a neat van!

Ed

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not to offend anyone but since the City came out, I've been asking the question, "Why not get a Dodge Grand Caravan instead?"

My non-Promaster 159WB Hi Roof daily driver is a Dodge Journey and I really like the engine and powertrain, along with all the features they built in.

Before posing the question here and risking some obvious reasons, I hit the 'net and found this review.

"At $23,130 the Tradesman trim of the City is $1,735 more than the 2015 Grand Caravan AVP, aka the cheapest minivan in America. The Caravan isn’t the freshest minivan on the market, but the interior is still several steps above the ProMaster City. Dodge gives you a 283 horse V6 standard, it can swallow a 4×8 sheet of plywood, the factory payload is just 154lbs lower and it will tow 1,600lbs more. FCA does plan on fixing this, but the fix is killing off the AVP instead of lowering the ProMaster City’s price. This value problem is not unique to the RAM however as the Transit is also more expensive than the AVP. Admittedly suggesting the passenger version of the Caravan over the ProMaster City is “missing the point” a little, but the wagon variant we tested widens the gap to nearly $3,000. If your cash is on the line, my best advice is to skip both the ProMaster City and the Transit Connect and get a Caravan AVP while you can. As long as you don’t need the barn doors in the back or don’t mind a DIY conversion, the discount Dodge is the most compelling option."

My thoughts on the City: a little better gas mileage, unique style, Fiat-based, no windows if you don't want 'em...
On the Caravan: great engine, best of both worlds.

So I'm just wondering, aside from the new PC vs. the old and outgoing Caravan, what set you in the direction of a Promaster City?

I'm not buying either one soon because I really like the PM and Journey I have, but I have wondered about the choice others have made. Again, no offense intended. I like our "little buddy." It's a neat van!

Ed
I needed a van that got good mpgs,I also don't want anymore GDI engines,the 2.4L is port injected,as is the V6 for the dodge/chrysler mini vans,but they are bigger and heavier.The mini vans are bigger then I need,the tc is a pile of crap,the nv200/chevy city express is the worst on the market in the small van segment.I also need the back seat,not 3 rows.The rear seats on the rpmcw are removable,which in my near future I will take out altogether.After test driving the ram pmc cargo,I was very impressed with the match between the 2.4 and the 9 spd....excellent imho.Since most of my driving is in town,I have no need to feed a larger engine.And last but not least,it handles very well in the mountain passes I have to go thru at least once a month.Oh,yeah,there are very few of these around,so it doesn't look like 10 zillion other mini vans.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The caravan has more load volume, you can load a full sheet of plywood, quieter, handles better, rides better, cheaper ….. I almost bought a City until I compared vehicles. You can get abetter deal on a caravan too since they are a zillion of them in the market. I ended up buying a Honda odyssey instead.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Caravan, yum. Just like every other van on the street picking up their kids from school.
They are cheap, I'll give you that much. But that cheap price comes with a cheap interior with terrible seats. At least the PMC has a leather wrapped wheel and MFSW controls as standard and an arm rest that isn't the width of a pencil.
I really can't stand how the Caravans drive, its night and day compared to a PMC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I test drove them all since I made my resent van purchase. You must of driven an older one as the caravan is much more comfortable and easier to drive with more power. I believe they are all ugly but you get so much more with the caravan for less $ than the city. The fact you can load a full sheet of plywood is a no-brainer. I can't understand why they didn't design the city to handle a full sheet. I've loaded full sheets and 10' boards in my honda already.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not everyone needs to carry 4x8 sheets of wood, if that were the case a promaster would be the better option as its truly a flat floor and there isn't any plastic trim to get destroyed.

I used to deal with a lot of customers that went from caravans to uplanders and then to siennas. When you see hundreds of the same vehicle get phased out there must be a good reason. I think their reliability isn't very good and the maintenance costs are high. Not everyone cares about ROI, but large fleet's do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Right now you can buy a City or caravan for $17k. They both are low end products but offer much value in that price range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts