Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A strange leak a few weeks ago prompted me to check my roof. Similarly to what Davesnothome found, I had cracks in the sealant all around the roof, especially near the nubbins.

and

and

Just as disturbing, we had innocently plopped down a magnetic WeBoost antenna. Not so innocent because it apparently trapped moisture.

I noticed that the Sikaflex we had used for the fan surround has attracted dirt and would be nearly impossible to clean, so I covered the cracks with Eternabond tape. It appears to be something like butyl rubber with a covering. I also applied a small patch of the tape on top and put the antenna on top of it. I will hit the rust with Rustoleum--at least it doesn't show. The worst thing is that the patches for the cracks coming over the side of the roof do show.

As I have commented before, if you have a barrier of any kind on your ceiling--polyiso, reflectix, ez-cool, etc., it would be very easy to not detect a roof leak. I feel very fortunate that I saw mine.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Ms,

When I started reading, I immediately thought "Eternabond"... I think that's a good solution.... guessing you used white (I used black around my fan flange")

For the visible side cracks, how about a white silicone sealant like for bathtub walls and joints.

Good idea for mag mount items!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was from you that I learned Eternabond exists. Good stuff.

There's no way I could ever lay a smooth enough bead of caulk, it would gather dirt like the Sikaflex, and I don't want silicone anywhere near my rig. I'm not sure there is a DIY solution that would look good. I have pondered hitting the visible patches with touch up paint, but will experiment first. I did make them way too big, but they are what they are. At least they shouldn't leak.

I have covered the full lengths of the side channels and as far as I could reach from the sides toward the middle. I will do the rear from the rear, but no idea how I would do the center front. Maybe my 6'2" long-armed son could reach.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have one crack so far. Man, this sounds like a CQ/warranty issue. I have not talked to my dealer yet but it's a priority for next week.

·
Super Moderator
9,082 Posts
Are you sure that’s not surface rust from metallic chips the antenna magnetic base may have picked up? I often find small rust specks high up on the side of my van, especially when I’m doing metal work in the yard, and they always compound right out and never appear in the same spot again.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Since you have a white van I’d use Dicor non-leveling as that is just what that product was made for. There are tools for making a smooth bead. Scrub the cracks well, clean with isopropanol and Dicor it. No leak, no show! I hope they had this issue sorted out by 6/2015 as it would be a nightmare on my Sandstone Pearl Metallic Paint.

On second thought I might coat my entire roof with an Elastomeric roof coating like Kool-Roof and get the benefit of cooler sunny days! All the school buses here in AZ have it.:cool:

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good point, KOV. Metal filings are actually more believable. Thinking back, the fan went in before we were acutely aware of the metal filings issue.

Still, I need to address the spots, and as long as the magnet holds through the Eternabond, I think I've addressed any furtherance of the issue either way. If it doesn't hold, I'll find some thinner tape.

I don't remember which Sikaflex. Got it from the local RV place.

If I start having problems farther down, I will pursue a more aesthetic solution, maybe even a body shop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is disappointing that Chrysler has not provided a more weather resistant detailing on the roof. I have noticed that water pools in some areas along the edges, probably where the photos show damage, and standing water poses a very difficult environment. I am fortunate to have my van fit under my carport as full weather exposure was always a challenge on previous RVs. I have used Kool Seal roof coating with excellent results, but only on the top surface where it was not visible from the ground. If I experience roof problems I'll probably use a similar coating.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/COATINGS-KST063300-16-Elastomeric-Coating-1-Gallon/dp/B003KIJ4U6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515696484&sr=8-4&keywords=kool+seal+elastomeric+roof+coating[/ame]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good point, KOV. Metal filings are actually more believable. Thinking back, the fan went in before we were acutely aware of the metal filings issue.

Still, I need to address the spots, and as long as the magnet holds through the Eternabond, I think I've addressed any furtherance of the issue either way. If it doesn't hold, I'll find some thinner tape.

I don't remember which Sikaflex. Got it from the local RV place.

If I start having problems farther down, I will pursue a more aesthetic solution, maybe even a body shop.
I put gorilla tape (ducktape) then masked off the gorilla tape and covered it self leveling dicor. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
A paint guy told me white is the thinnest and least durable paint coating. Not sure if that's accurate but my wife's 2009 Honda Fit has many surface rust spots while while my metallic 1998 Odyssey has zero rust.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi,

Wow. Hadn't been on here in ages.

Found an odd wet spot inside the other day and from investigating found the cracks in the sealant on the roof. Figured I'd get back here and see if anyone else has the same issue.

I'll probably contact FCA and see if they'll deal with it.
I'm guessing they will give me the brush-off since the warranty has expired.

Some good ideas here for fixing or covering it up.

When I bought the van I'd given a little thought to having the roof covered in bed-liner since I knew I'd be hauling kayaks and boats quite often.
Never did it but giving some thought to it again. If Line-ex could spray it in white I think it would be a great way to solve the problem.
Might not be the cheapest way though...

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
White Elastomeric paint should do well as a coating for heat as it does produce a cool roof! It is not as durable as bed liner for sure but is very inexpensive and can be reapplied with a roller. It will seal the cracks too. Mask it off to cover the roof but not show below on any colored van.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Eternabond is a good, very durable sealant provided surface prep is correct. Not saying it’s eternal, but probably lasts as long as the van when properly installed. Getting it off? Next to impossible.

It is a retail version of the sealing tape used on membrane roofs for commercial construction, like warehouses, airports, retail buildings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should check all the body seams. Here are pictures from my 2017. Mine has some small cracks on the roof and then this big one on the upper rear passenger side. Pictures are dark to show the light (from a flashlight) through the crack. The first dealer I took it to- the tech just smeared rtv over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's been raining cats and dogs (and chickens, ducks, etc.) here recently and I found that my 2016 high roof has sprung a leak. Thus I am reviving this thread. As Ms Nomer originally described, the roof sealant is cracked and that appears to be the cause. Given that the already suggested fixes are elastomeric paint or eternabond I have a couple of questions.

1) What width eternabond have folks used successfully for the fore and aft channels near the roof edges that are already sealant filled.? 2" seems like it might be too narrow. Any feedback on either the 3" and 4" widths, especially as to working along the contours of the channel?

2) If either of these two methods fails to stop the leak, either in the short or the long term, can the alternative be applied on top of it? In other words, can you put elastomeric paint over eternabond or eternabond over elastomeric paint?

I know that some mushrooms are grown in caves but I don't want to start a crop in my mobile man cave.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts