1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Montecarlo Modele site.
I like the position of the round table.
Can anyone here tell me if I can drill where they have located the base flange
into the floor ?? Screw length ?? Well anything you can offer that might assist.
I already have the table and love this location for it.
I know the gas tank is up there somewhere :)
Thanks for any clues.

·
Registered
834 Posts
In that picture under the "drivers feet" is the fuel tank access cover. The table mount is between the fuel access and the battery cover. Might pull the covers and remove the fuel tank cover and see the clearance, also go underneath and feel around to the tank . If there's a inch or inch and a half , riv-nuts may be the ticket. On close tolerance drilling the bit can be "shimmed" with a socket etc. so that only 1/4 inch of the bit can penetrate.
Great place for a table.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
From the Montecarlo Modele site.
I like the position of the round table.
Can anyone here tell me if I can drill where they have located the base flange
into the floor ?? Screw length ?? Well anything you can offer that might assist.
I already have the table and love this location for it.
I know the gas tank is up there somewhere :)
Thanks for any clues.
That is awesome Medman!

Have you installed the seat swivels yet?

I'll be doing the same type of table arrangement but I am not planning on using the floor as a center support. I will anchor the table to the front dash where the bottom cup holders exist now.

Mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Melmike that is not my build.
Ours doesn't compare in the least!
But I too like that table position.
Interesting take on the cup holders. Would very much like
to see images of that project.
Medman,

Yes I realize that was another build, and I had another thought. If you have purchased and installed the seat rotation plates one of them could be modified by welding an additional plate to it either with a lap weld or butt weld. The additional plate would then extend into the center area between the seats and could be the base for a removable table.

I would avoid drilling into the floor. During the discovery phase of my change-over from bench seat to bucket seat (passenger side) and the issues with airbag devices, I pulled up the floor covering under the passenger seat and center area between the seats. I did this to chase down the wiring harness to see if the center seat airbag devices could be disabled somehow. Once exposed I found a mass of wires in channels--a real nightmare.

Just some thoughts.

Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
My seats don't swivel. I have a center console there instead. Very handy! Cup holders that work!

·
Registered
627 Posts
We installed our RAM mount (that holds our tablet computer) in about the same location as that table using existing threaded holes in the floor. Our post was offset from these pre-existing anchor points. The offset was easily accommodated in our fabricated mounting bracket.

As an aside, we have a hard time envisioning that table location. With our seats rotated to 'facing' positions, there's very little room between the seats, and less room for legs and knees. By the time the seats have been rotated - - about as they are depicted in the above illustration - - the table would be offset to the side of both seats making it an awkward location for any directed work activity.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,116 Posts
Hi MM,
This in the for whatever its worth category...

We started with a pedestal table in the back of the van in the aisle between the two beds. The idea being we would use it for eating, and stow it the rest of the time.

This proved be more of a pain than it was worth -- seemed like the table was always in the way.

So, we dumped the table and went to a couple of flat trays (just made for half in birch ply). They stowed nicely flat under the mattresses. This was a modest improvement, but in truth we usually don't bother with them. We just sit on the bed with plate and fork in hand. We did add coffee cup holders on the wall above the bed so you don't have to try to hold cup and plate at same time.

Of course, there may be other good reasons to have a table around.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I have to say adding a full time small table with good seating that doesn’t need to be stowed is a pleasure. It is handy for additional space to prepare meals, make a salad, spread out a map, place the computer to catch up on the World and the family, plug in the chargers to refill the iPad, edit pictures, Bank, read, and to eat on or share a coffee or wine or a beer. We wonder how those of you who can’t seem to find space for such a ting use your 159” vans or even extended vans. In our 136” HT we have plenty of space. We use it many times a day, and wouldn’t be without it. Eating on your lap, or reading lying on bed seems too uncivilized for campervan dwellers when it can be done in a more comfortable way. For those planning a build consider it. If you have another solution good for you. Different strokes for.............

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
Is it civilized to use a Leatherman instead of a more proper tool?

I ate my dinner last night from a bowl while sitting in the swiveled front seat so MrNomer could read the newspaper at the pull-out table. Didn't feel at all uncivilized--in fact, I may do it more often just because I enjoyed it.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
It depends - are using it to eat with, protect yourself (and MrN) or just make points with RD? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Leatherman tools must come sterile but from then on, watch out. I appreciate the alternative to the dinette and I know you don’t need points from me on design, color, workmanship or tools. KOV may be a lost cause anyway as he prefers to microwave Costco meals and sitting anyplace is good enough for that. Besides I happen to know he has a multitool and it is not even the right brand. Not a bad tool but still. Should we explain all these inside barbs to the crowd here?

For those who haven’t had a chance to get to know some of the posters here, make contact and become friends. Life is better shared.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Should we explain all these inside barbs to the crowd here?
Yes, we're totally lost. Residing somewhere between microwave and peanut butter and jelly, we're not sure where we stand. At least - - having finally Googled it - - we know what a Leatherman is.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
KOV, MsNomer, and a few of us tend to visit each other occasionally after meeting on this forum. As friends we have some idiosyncrasies we tend to needle each other about. For me it's the tool I always carry, my comment about MsNomer's ceiling looking sterile (she'll never forget that) and how KOV is so cheap a lot of the time. It is in good fun. Bear with us. That is the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the rest of us appreciate the relationships some of you have built, even if we don't understand the inside jokes. It makes this place that much more friendly for us.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for ideas.
Yes to Leatherman. I have three Waves...fantastic tool....yet I can't find either one. If I do it will get a home
in the possibles box in Hiyo.
Gary- 'This proved be more of a pain than it was worth -- seemed like the table was always in the way', yours was the first build we found googling and decided way back then NOT to do a dinette. Our permanent sleeper and having to do nothing to 'crash' for a nap succeeded our eating needs.
Just returned from trip #2 , a short 450 miler, and again the Slide-mater with ARB frig proves more than adequate for us to simple eat on top of the frig, it makes a great table for this purpose and only once did we forget something in the frig we wanted along with lunch.
Yet I still want the pedestal table between the seats.
Winston, did you mention finding places between the seats, closer to the dash, to affix the pedestal base? A pic or 5 would be wonderful.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Forward Table (or Computer) Mounting Location

Winston, did you mention finding places between the seats, closer to the dash, to affix the pedestal base? A pic or 5 would be wonderful.
Don't have any good photos, particularly showing bolt locations with the rubber mat removed. Again, there are at least to in-floor pre-existing "nuts" (bolt locations), one being used that we doubled up on and another, unused.

The curious 90 degree angle piece you see in this photo is the result of ordering 'too short' a RAM mount extension tube. We welding this bracket onto the pole as well as welding a base flange to make use of those holes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts